Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Blog Entries

Re: D23 Scavenger Hunt - September 26th, 2010

We got 32nd place! I feel pretty good about that! One of our team mates got way overheated and we stopped for about 20 minutes, which hurt us!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

23rd place! I'm so jazzed.

• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

98th place! I said I'd consider it a total victory if we managed to get in the top 100!

Pretty good considering (IMO) we spent too much time actually riding rides at the beginning (Indy, Jungle Cruise, Pooh, Small World, and Tom Sawyer's Island).

Bet if we had ditched two of those rides and we had time to head to Paradise Pier we would have scored 200+ points and been in the top 50.

Oh well, no looking back now. Happy we didn't get completely destroyed.

• Some imagination, huh?

252nd place...Well kids, the most important thing is that we went out and tried our best!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I have another question that we couldn't get the answer to - at the Golden Horseshoe, what are the names of the two characters who greet you when you enter?

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    23rd place! I'm so jazzed.

Go us!!!

(and HI micechat people, Christine talks about this site all the time, decided to add it to my Disney fix!)

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by summerblunden View Post
    Go us!!!

(and HI micechat people, Christine talks about this site all the time, decided to add it to my Disney fix!)
    Welcome to your newest addiction, Summer!

• Some imagination, huh?

I have another question that we couldn't get the answer to - at the Golden Horseshoe, what are the names of the two characters who greet you when you enter?
    Pecos Bill and Slue Foot Sue from Melody Time. They're etched into the glass.

On another note, WHOO HOOOOOOO! My teammate just alerted me that we made it onto the list of Top 10 Favorite Team Names!

EMPEROR'S NEW CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    Pecos Bill and Slue Foot Sue from Melody Time. They're etched into the glass.

On another note, WHOO HOOOOOOO! My teammate just alerted me that we made it onto the list of Top 10 Favorite Team Names!

EMPEROR'S NEW CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!
    Yeah we saw the etched glass - we just couldn't figure out their names. My mom was suggesting Pecos Pete and something Sue, but we couldn't confirm anything. She was (almost) right!

Congrats on being one of the name faves!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

16th place!!! Wow... had no idea we would get that high. I thought we'd be like top 100 but to be in top 20?

Reasons why we lost: Went on Pirates of the Caribbean to get 3 points (we knew the 4th) which cost us 15 minutes.

The Indiana Jones queue questions really duped us and we spent WAAAAAY too much time on it.

Though we started at Downtown Disney, we went straight to Disneyland and the line to get in was FOREVER... which cost us a lot of time too.

Then a combination of other things like backtracking after missing a question. We should just know that there's SO MANY questions that we won't be able to finish it all. Gotta keep going.

And lastly, I really wish there was more of a party afterwards. We waited in that room because we really didn't have too much time before we had to come back.... and then the scoring was delayed so we could have totally went and got fastpasses for stuff or got food. Some folks were obviously smarter than us and got food.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Some imagination, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Some folks were obviously smarter than us and got food.
    We hit up the Jazz Kitchen for some beignets B)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    We hit up the Jazz Kitchen for some beignets B)
    That is the correct answer.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And lastly, I really wish there was more of a party afterwards. We waited in that room because we really didn't have too much time before we had to come back.... and then the scoring was delayed so we could have totally went and got fastpasses for stuff or got food. Some folks were obviously smarter than us and got food.
    Agreed on wishing there were more at the finish line. If it was a more festive/lively environment we would have probably stayed instead of staying for 20 minutes, giving up, and going to Rainforest Cafe.

• Miss Marvel

16th place! Woot! Shout out to the other teammates, Shocker Batman, Coheteboy, and Jeff. (I never learned your screen name. Sorry.)

That book was WAY overwhelming for one person to handle. I found myself often having the brunt of frustration thrown my way as I was the one handling the book. Because all of the questions were completely disorganized (not with other questions of the same location), it was SO difficult to locate all the questions in the book for one location. Others have explained this more in depth. I think MissChristine summed up my most frustrating moments the best.

This was another thing that was discouraging because I'd KNOW there was a question regarding "x", but when we got to location of "x", I couldn't find the question in the book. It was a complete and kind of thing.
    While I was desperately searching the book for the question number that was just answered by a teammate, so we could record the answer, I was asked to read the next question, because we were wasting time standing there waiting for me to find the previous question. Well, I can't search the book for one thing and read from the book at the same time. Wish I could, but I can't.

Being in the Red group, walking to Downtown Disney for our starting location, any time I spent organizing the book (marking which location questions were in) was done while walking and having my teammates asking me for the Downtown Disney questions while I'm still trying to organize. It's only a little overwhelming. And because we were organizing while walking, we only had Disneyland organized by the time we were released. After we LEFT Disneyland, we had no other section of the book organized. We walked into DCA blind, with teammates constantly asking me how many points are in X attraction, or in X land while I'm trying to organize DCA so I will be able to answer those questions! As you can imagine, that didn't go over so well. So, in contrast to a pretty efficient Disneyland run, DCA was a disaster. No prep = no efficiency. I would have KILLED for that extra half hour in the ballroom prepping the book.

In perfect honesty, I was so overwhelmed by all the frustration, I ended up relinquishing the book to Shocker Batman for the last hour and a half of the hunt. I had just had enough of feeling like I wasn't good/fast/smart enough.

As Coheteboy said, he wanted to split up the book. But myself and Shocker Batman were very firmly against this idea. The book is so disorganized to begin with, could you imagine ripping out doublesided pages and trying to keep everyone on track and in agreement as to where to go next? You need a leader in this situation. And you can't have a leader if they don't see the whole book. But the book is too big and disorganized for one person to REALLY see the whole picture. It's a circular problem. There's no perfect answer.

Shocker Batman felt very much like four people was too many. He admitted to me today that he felt very much out of the loop and not engaged. He was not running the book, nor running the answer guide, nor taking pictures of plaques, nor figuring out the letter and word jumbles. That didn't leave much for him to do. And when I did give him the book towards the end, even though he was trying to participate the whole day, he felt WAY behind and under prepped to deal with managing it.

All of which brings me to my next point. I think that a major reason a majority of the participants weren't happy/excited/energized after the hunt was that major aspect of the event, THE QUESTION BOOK, did it's best to make you feel like you were totally inadequate for the job.
    1. A GIGANTIC question guide that nobody could finish or even come close to completion. Most people don't feel good being asked to do a task that they know they can't achieve. There is no feeling of accomplishment at the end when you know you didn't complete the task and there are 498 teams. At that point, nobody feels like they have a shot at winning.
    2. Only 1 question guide per group AND a disorganized guide. Contributes to frustrations in general and between teammates, whether you're running the book or not. It's bad enough that you know you can't answer all the questions. But then needlessly make it even more difficult on top of that? That's heavy stuff you're dealing with before you even START the hunt.
    How can you feel accomplished at the end of the hunt when the odds were stacked against you from the start? Even if they simply picked one twist (too many questions OR a disorganized book), not both, that would have been a large improvement.

Other contributing elements including the lack of available food or entertainment. Perhaps it seems like it's time to call the Whambulance, but hear me out.

Registration began at 7 AM. Once registered, you were instructed not to leave the ballroom. Event started around 9. You turned in your packets at 2. Results were suppose to be read at 3:15. So most didn't leave for food. Then they announced they were running late, and they could be done at any time. Well, result readings started at around 4:20. >_< Results were over around 4:45. With only FIVE hours to complete 300+ questions, no one truly competing was stopping for food. So, it's safe to assume that most people didn't have a real meal from 7 AM - 4:45 PM. That almost TEN HOURS without food. I'm sorry. That takes toll. After 10 hours without food, even the most enthusiastic person would be a little cranky.

There was no entertainment planned for when you waited for the results. We were, in all seriousness, left in a room with no audio or visual stimulus, and no food. We were all sitting around in a big room with nothing to do but make small talk with our team. For over 2 hours. Again, even the most enthusiastic person would be a little bored. Couldn't they have at least put a Disney movie up on a projector?

The gist of it is this. All of these things, individually, could be seen as minor frustrations. Complaints. Whining. Crankiness. But when you put all of these components together, it makes for one giant ball of frustration.

Compare this to our Gumball Rally.
    • Even when we did both parks, it was possible to finish.
    • The ride confirmation questions are organized by land.
    • There's only one question per ride; so sharing a question book is not difficult. The only decisions to be made is which rides in what order, which the book is not necessary for. And everyone can memorize one question per ride.
    • Because it is an all day event, and it's possible to finish in the time allowed, stopping for food midday is common, and doesn't necessarily pull you out of the running for winning. In addition, food is provided at the awards ceremony, included in the cost of the event!
    • Entertainment is provided at the awards ceremony. Full on game shows with audience participation, raffles, and fun prizes given away just for participating. ANYBODY has a shot at a prize. Even if they only earned two points during the rally.
    You can't tell me that these facts don't contribute to one's enjoyment of the event.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

I agree with all the statements previously posted. It was fun, but not really fun. I'm sure the heat had something to do with it, but the biggest frustration for me was the disorganization of the questions. As many have said, I spent way too much time trying to find all the questions for a particular area or attraction. And then spending way too much time trying to find the questions again after finding the answer and needing to write it in the answer book. (plus having that "Doh!" moment when you realized you missed a question from that area/attraction later)

I was also a little surprised that they lumped all the questions together for everyone to score from. Maybe I was naive going into this event (it was my first time for something like this), but when I read pre-event details about the Miner League, Major Domo and Super-Difficult-Idocious categories I assumed there would have been seperate groups of questions and prizes awarded accordingly. IMO, I think they could have divided the top 10 places into a prize group for each category (i.e. 1st thru 3rd place for Miner League, 1st thru 3rd fro Major Domo and 1st thru 4th for "Super"). The incentive for a team to choose a harder category would be more desirable/expensive prizes (as well as the ego stroke for winning a difficult group of questions). Obiviously, they would have needed to come up with more Major and Super questions since the question book was heavily weighted with Miner questions.

And we also had problems giving activities to everyone in the group. The way the questions were distributed in the book, it really set the delegation of duties to the person with the questions and the person writing down the answers. Everyone else just kind of tagged along.

Will I do it again....we'll see. But I do think I will take a chance at Gumball Rally next year. That sounds like a lot of fun and more equitable for all teams involved.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast