Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: D23 Scavenger Hunt - September 26th, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn in Wndrlnd View Post
    16th place! Woot! Shout out to the other teammates, Shocker Batman, Coheteboy, and Jeff. (I never learned your screen name. Sorry.)
    His screenname actually IS Jeff.

As Coheteboy said, he wanted to split up the book. But myself and Shocker Batman were very firmly against this idea. The book is so disorganized to begin with, could you imagine ripping out doublesided pages and trying to keep everyone on track and in agreement as to where to go next? You need a leader in this situation. And you can't have a leader if they don't see the whole book. But the book is too big and disorganized for one person to REALLY see the whole picture. It's a circular problem. There's no perfect answer.

Shocker Batman felt very much like four people was too many. He admitted to me today that he felt very much out of the loop and not engaged. He was not running the book, nor running the answer guide, nor taking pictures of plaques, nor figuring out the letter and word jumbles. That didn't leave much for him to do. And when I did give him the book towards the end, even though he was trying to participate the whole day, he felt WAY behind and under prepped to deal with managing it.

See, that's where I disagree re: tearing the book apart. I could tell that ShockerBatman wasn't engaged and didn't feel included. Dividing up the books would give each person ownership of their section. Yes, it's a mess. It's ALWAYS going to be a mess. Giving ShockerBatman the entire book later is overwhelming for him as it would be for me and Jeff too.

Eventually... the book DID fall apart and having Jeff scour his pages for Paradise PIer questions while I scour my section for the same really helped I thought.

Four people isn't too much if everyone is king of their own questions. I also think maybe saving the transferring of all answers for the last 5-10 minutes would have been good.

Just my opinion and will continue to be until I try that next year and fail. haha

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Now see, it didn't bother me at all that questions for each attraction were scattered all over the place..of course I've never done anything like this before, so it's all new to me. It WAS difficult for the reader to keep track, but that was part of the challenge and we both would scan pages for the question we just KNEW we had seen earlier. We agreed that 2 per team was perfect and any more would make things more difficult and less fun. I agree with an earlier poster that said gifts of water bottles would have been great, and much appreciated, especially after they found out what the temps were going to be. Our biggest error was not paying any attention to DTD while we were waiting to start in DLR..DOH! We also spent too much time in Toontown, but did get all the answers..we marked the book for DLR as well, so had more difficulty in DTD and at the Grand..we never made it to Paradise Pier or the DLH (although we fond a few in the hotel during a last minute scramble before the book was tuned in) or DCA..It did not bother me that it was impossible to finish! I did think they should have made the rules clearer and perhaps had another category for electronically enhanced hunters. The idea of more than one clue book I think could be either good or bad, depending on how it was handled by the teams. I agree with the poster who said it would have been fun to have levels of prizes for points accumulated, and also, wish they would have had food carts available in the ballroom before and after. Even some Disney music and film clips would have been a nice touch of entertainment. I tend to do 1sts for D23 (Expo, Destination D and scavenger Hunt), so I'm sure they'll learn and make the next one even better. Except for the heat I had alot of fun as did my team mate. We ate some fruit quickly at WWS so we didn't keel over and transferred the answers to the the answer book from the guide book where we had scribbled answers originally.
    For 2 old broads who had never done a hunt before we came in tied at 113th, and I think that's really great. BTW...I thought D23 had said the hunt could have 1,000 teams..was it only 500? But didn't 575 register and 498 finish? :confused:

317!

• Some imagination, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by nunz View Post
    BTW...I thought D23 had said the hunt could have 1,000 teams..was it only 500? But didn't 575 register and 498 finish? :confused:
    500 teams, 1000+ players

I know I was astounded when I first heard how large the scope of their FIRST EVER scavenger hunt would be. I thought they would start small so they can get all the kinks out first.

Now see, it didn't bother me at all that questions for each attraction were scattered all over the place..of course I've never done anything like this before, so it's all new to me. It WAS difficult for the reader to keep track, but that was part of the challenge and we both would scan pages for the question we just KNEW we had seen earlier. For 2 old broads who had never done a hunt before we came in tied at 113th, and I think that's really great.
    I agree. The book was organized, it was just organized by category, not by land or attraction. It's a different way to organize the clues, but they were not "totally disorganized" like some have said.

BTW...I thought D23 had said the hunt could have 1,000 teams..was it only 500? But didn't 575 register and 498 finish? :confused:
    575 teams registered, 2,000 people total. There are only 498 teams on the results because, as it says at the top of the results, "Disqualified teams or teams with no scores are not included."

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    252nd place...Well kids, the most important thing is that we went out and tried our best!
    We also tied for 252nd place. I expected to get a little higher, but we didn't have a very good strategy, I don't think. That's OK, though. It was out first Hunt ever, and we were doing it for the fun & the experience, not necessarily to win.

We've definitely learned for next time. And I hope D23 has to, like be more specific about what constitutes "cheating". We could have easily at least broken the top 50 if I'd used the internet.

• 11 Year Annual Passholder

71st place! Not too shabby

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 12.15.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 20

• Dapper Dan-nabe

PS to the Valients..what was in that HUGE box??? and did anyone else think Steven Clark was verging on Grumpy?
    Sorry, I've been away for a bit. The box contained a whole bunch of Disney merchandise, essentially. If you saw the prize table for first place, everything we got was on that table. We just got a little less. I know I saw the Lost Season 6 Bluray on the table, and that wasn't in our box, and whatever was in the Lenox box; but we got a lot of Blurays and DVDs, CDs, books, D23 Archives gifts (I'm excited about the full set of Epcot patches), pins, a snow globe or two, and a pair of Walt Disney Classics Collection Small World dolls. Not a bad haul, by any means!
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• Some imagination, huh?

Registration began at 7 AM. Once registered, you were instructed not to leave the ballroom. Event started around 9. You turned in your packets at 2. Results were suppose to be read at 3:15. So most didn't leave for food. Then they announced they were running late, and they could be done at any time. Well, result readings started at around 4:20. >_< Results were over around 4:45. With only FIVE hours to complete 300+ questions, no one truly competing was stopping for food. So, it's safe to assume that most people didn't have a real meal from 7 AM - 4:45 PM. That almost TEN HOURS without food. I'm sorry. That takes toll. After 10 hours without food, even the most enthusiastic person would be a little cranky.
    We easily had time to stop for a turkey leg, a chimichanga, a soda, and a frozen lemonade. It wasn't very crowded that day, so because there was so many ODV carts there was usually no line. I learned this lesson the hard way my first MouseAdventure to ALWAYS, ALWAYS stop for refreshments if needed--your health is more important than winning Also--always bring some sort of snack, like a Chewy bar or something you can eat while you walk if you don't feel like stopping.

My partner and I came in 21st!! Team #607!

Lots of fun and looking forward to more Hunts. Really happy to get the impression that the winners were not part of the cheating that we saw to some degree throughout the event.

• Miss Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    We easily had time to stop for a turkey leg, a chimichanga, a soda, and a frozen lemonade. It wasn't very crowded that day, so because there was so many ODV carts there was usually no line. I learned this lesson the hard way my first MouseAdventure to ALWAYS, ALWAYS stop for refreshments if needed--your health is more important than winning Also--always bring some sort of snack, like a Chewy bar or something you can eat while you walk if you don't feel like stopping.

I never said I didn't eat during the hunt. Just that many people who were "in it to win it" didn't. Just because you put your hunger above your desire to win doesn't mean everyone else did. Five hours is plenty of time to stop for food if you're willing to sacrifice the time/points. Many people weren't.

Anywho, my only point was that this was something that D23 should have foreseen, and the lack of food in people's bellies contributed to the general BLEH feeling the room had after the event.

Personally, I had pop tarts. But didn't have a real meal until after 6 PM.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I never said I didn't eat during the hunt. Just that many people who were "in it to win it" didn't. Just because you put your hunger above your desire to win doesn't mean everyone else did. Five hours is plenty of time to stop for food if you're willing to sacrifice the time/points. Many people weren't.

Anywho, my only point was that this was something that D23 should have foreseen, and the lack of food in people's bellies contributed to the general BLEH feeling the room had after the event.

Personally, I had pop tarts. But didn't have a real meal until after 6 PM.
    I planned ahead and brought some snackies with me. Had a couple almonds while adding up dates in the graveyard on TSI, and then once we hit the floor of the ballroom, I shared a baggie of Wheat Thins with my teammates. Other than that we didn't eat. Stopped once during the hunt for some cold water, but that was it.

If Disney could have put out trays of cookies or those baggies of apple slices or carrots (they serve those with kids meals, right?) I think people wouldn't have hit the wall so hard.

Oh, and whoever suggested the projected movie while waiting for scoring to be completed - Great idea! The D23 powers that be should listen to this!!

My wife and I had a great time. We came in 32nd place and even stopped for lunch. Not sure if this will be an annual thing, but we are already looking forward to the next one.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789