Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Re: Destination D - September 24 & 25, 2010 - at the Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Oooh a banquet on Saturday in honor of my birthday? I'm down for that.
    Wouldn't that be fun?

Anyone concerned that this event has yet to sell out? I thought at one point I heard only 1500 people could attend Destination D and it would be really hard to get tickets compared to D23 Expo 2009. I wonder if the price was too high for this event. I am attending, hope it is good.

• 秘密のヘルツ

I just bought my ticket, I'm glad it wasn't sold out yet, but I'm surprised, too. I wonder if it's because people are satisfied only going to the D23 Expo every other year and don't feel the need to go to Destination: D. I don't remember how much the Expo was, either - is this a lot more expensive than that was?

It could also be because it's not at the convention center, and people don't think it'll be worth going to if it's "just" at the Disneyland Hotel. It may even be possible that it hasn't been advertised enough. My membership had lapsed for a few months until I heard about this and decided to renew so I could go, but I might never have heard of it if not for coming to this messageboard. Admittedly I don't check the D23 website that much, but when I did, there wasn't exactly a huge main-page ad like there was for the D23 Expo.

• Just another Disney fan..

My guess is it is the price point. At $50 this event would have been sold out a long time ago IMO.

• Banned User

five reasons tickets haven't sold out yet: (1) the price point is higher at Destination D, (2) this event is in no way for young children, (3) the event, in large part, takes place on Friday (was I the only one who noticed how dead the Expo was during Thursday and Friday last year, when people were working???), (4) 1,500 tickets is a lot of tickets to sell compared to the studio theater which holds about 300-ish, and (5) unlike the Expo, which included a lot of events and displays for a general audience, the topic of Destination D is extremely specific, the history of Disneyland.

Even with this, I expect this event to do very well. This is the exact type of event that D23 can use to develop a core audience comprised of Disney fans. If, over years, D23 produces similar, high-quality events that cater to well-informed fans, I believe that the "club" will develop a loyal following. I'm pretty sure that these type of fans are the only ones who, year-in and year-out, will fork over $75 to renew a D23 membership.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandtour View Post
    five reasons tickets haven't sold out yet: (1) the price point is higher at Destination D, (2) this event is in no way for young children, (3) the event, in large part, takes place on Friday (was I the only one who noticed how dead the Expo was during Thursday and Friday last year, when people were working???), (4) 1,500 tickets is a lot of tickets to sell compared to the studio theater which holds about 300-ish, and (5) unlike the Expo, which included a lot of events and displays for a general audience, the topic of Destination D is extremely specific, the history of Disneyland.

Even with this, I expect this event to do very well. This is the exact type of event that D23 can use to develop a core audience comprised of Disney fans. If, over years, D23 produces similar, high-quality events that cater to well-informed fans, I believe that the "club" will develop a loyal following. I'm pretty sure that these type of fans are the only ones who, year-in and year-out, will fork over $75 to renew a D23 membership.

Good points. But the Expo last year took place on weekdays as well... which might have also conflicted with a lot of schedules. And it being southern california, there's way too much other things you can do on an open Friday. And perhaps marketing it as a "D23" expo may have hurt it some. If you spread the word and call it The DISNEY Expo, that really cements what it is to billions. I ask a lot of my friends who live in Southern California and they STILL don't know what D23 is.

So.. maybe this D23 Destination Disneyland is too exclusive? Too limited in reaching the masses? I could totally be wrong on that but I'm just thinking out loud.

I often look at Star Wars conventions as something that has been handled pretty well.

The first one was in 1999 in Denver.

Celebration II was 2002 in Indiana.

Celebration III in 2005 in Indiana again.

Celebration IV in 2007 in Los Angeles.

Celebration V in 2010 in Orlando.

See the pattern? Star Wars is a worldwide phenomenon and that's just for a Saga of films, a hit animated TV series, toys, books, comics, etc.

Disney is BIGGER than that. They really could do an Expo once a year but right now... only those who are in D23 are going. We need to get not me or you who read this board but EVERYONE. That's why I feel that it's not sold out.

...also... sometimes it's really difficult to commit to something that far in advance. Sure you can do that for a wedding, but when it's for a weekend of sitting in conference rooms, you're still waiting for something else that costs less.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Here's a little update:

MORE STARS JOIN D23’S DESTINATION D CONCERT EVENT
    ‘E-TICKET: MUSIC FROM THE DISNEY PARKS’

Michael Urie (Ugly Betty), Tracie Thoms (Cold Case, Rent), and Barrett Foa (NCIS: Los Angeles) are joining a previously announced, all-star line up of performers, including Disney Legend Richard Sherman, Ana Ortiz (Ugly Betty), Wilson Cruz (My So-Called Life), and John Tartaglia (Johnny and the Sprites).

The concert will be performed the evening of Friday, September 24, in the Grand Ballroom of the Disneyland Hotel.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    So.. maybe this D23 Destination Disneyland is too exclusive? Too limited in reaching the masses? I could totally be wrong on that but I'm just thinking out loud.
    But Destination D is only for D23 members, so they're not trying to reach the masses.

Has everyone seen the merchandise that they're going to sell for Dest D?

Destination D and 55th Mickey Mouse Club Anniversary

Some of it is really cute.

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Leigh View Post
    But Destination D is only for D23 members, so they're not trying to reach the masses.

I agree, this event is not intended to reach the masses. I don't it even intended to reach all of D23, just those of us who are hard core. It strikes me that, while a little more focus on Disneyland and the 55th, this is the session part of the Expo under tighter controls.

The little bit that I've been able to gleen from the few people I know, the sessions track at the Expo caught Disney completely off guard. I suspect they thought many of the sessions would have limited appeal to the hard core fans, but didn't expect them to be as popular as they turned out.

My guess is the Expo 2010 was put on hold to rethink err, reimagineer and retool the sessions part of the program.

No matter what the reasons, I'm following forward to Destination D. Now if I can just get lucky and come off the waitlist for the VGC for that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    I agree, this event is not intended to reach the masses. I don't it even intended to reach all of D23, just those of us who are hard core. It strikes me that, while a little more focus on Disneyland and the 55th, this is the session part of the Expo under tighter controls.

The little bit that I've been able to gleen from the few people I know, the sessions track at the Expo caught Disney completely off guard. I suspect they thought many of the sessions would have limited appeal to the hard core fans, but didn't expect them to be as popular as they turned out.

My guess is the Expo 2010 was put on hold to rethink err, reimagineer and retool the sessions part of the program.

No matter what the reasons, I'm following forward to Destination D. Now if I can just get lucky and come off the waitlist for the VGC for that weekend.
    Good luck with that..I'm on the same waitlist Booked at DLH though...

• Wilderness Explorer

While looking through Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily's AWESOME collectibles album on Flickr, which I highly advise you check out if you haven't:
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana/sets/72157601848341798/"]Disney Collectibles by Kevin and Jody - a set on Flickr[/ame]
    I came across some new collectibles being released for Destination D with a link to a page showcasing all of the new exclusive merchandise being sold at the event...
    Let me just say, I am now officially jealous I can't attend this event.

Destination D and 55th Mickey Mouse Club Anniversary

Some of that stuff is freaking awesome. I absolutely love the Mickey Mouse Club soda glasses and ice cream dishes.

And the Band Leader Mickey figurine is really cute, too.

They say that anything left over from the event will be sold at Disneyland... but I'm not sure how much of it really will be left over... I can only hope.

I looked through all 6 pages twice trying to see if this had been posted yet, so hopefully I didn't miss something. Sorry if I did.

• 秘密のヘルツ

Looks like Sk8Leigh posted a link just a few posts before you, Awesome. But it's okay cause you included pictures.

I'm so happy, all the merch I want is open edition for once. Wahoo!

• Banned User

Oh, there's some real irony to market a $65, 10-inch, resin figurine of Jiminy Cricket saying, "I'm No Fool."

http://www.disneynow.com/accounts/re..._Sculpture.jpg

I love figurines. Although if I try to get either, it will be Mickey.

Blog Entries

I am so debating getting tickets for this. My only concern is the Friday, not sure if I could get the entire day off from work but probably could get there by 12ish.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast