Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Destination D - September 24 & 25, 2010 - at the Disneyland Resort

D23's "DESTINATION D: DISNEYLAND ’55" AT THE DISNEYLAND RESORT SEPTEMBER 24 & 25, 2010

UPDATED (August 12, 2010) -
    MORE STARS JOIN D23’S DESTINATION D CONCERT EVENT
    ‘E-TICKET: MUSIC FROM THE DISNEY PARKS’

Michael Urie (Ugly Betty), Tracie Thoms (Cold Case, Rent), and Barrett Foa (NCIS: Los Angeles) are joining a previously announced, all-star line up of performers, including Disney Legend Richard Sherman, Ana Ortiz (Ugly Betty), Wilson Cruz (My So-Called Life), and John Tartaglia (Johnny and the Sprites).

The concert will be performed the evening of Friday, September 24, in the Grand Ballroom of the Disneyland Hotel.

Date: September 24 & 25, 2010
    Registration: Open Thursday, September 23 from noon – 9 p.m. Open Friday, September 24 at 7 a.m.

Time: Panels, presentations and events to run from approximately 9 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. on both Friday and Saturday.
    Tickets: On Sale Monday, July 12, 2010 at 10 a.m. PST.
    Cost: $125 per person; $165 for ticket plus one Great Disney Scavenger Hunt team

This year is the 55th anniversary of Disneyland Resort, and D23 is celebrating this milestone year with the premiere of Destination D: Disneyland ’55, a brand-new, two-day event that illuminates the fascinating history behind Disney’s flagship park.

Destination D: Disneyland '55 will take D23 Members on a mesmerizing journey through the design, creation, debut and magical history of the world's first Disney theme park. The event will offer two full days of special presentations, panels, screenings and guest speakers that give fans an inside view of this fascinating era in Disney history and let them hear from with key figures from Disneyland's past. Future Destination D events will explore other important aspects of Disney's amazing creative legacy. Following its premiere in September, Destination D will alternate annually with the enormously popular D23 Expo.

Event highlights include our Mickey Mouse Club 55th Anniversary presentation, reuniting original Mouseketeers Sharon Baird, Doreen Tracey, Bobby Burgess, Karen Pendleton, Sherry Van Meter (formerly Alberoni), Tommy Cole, Cubby O’Brien, and Mary Geoff (formerly Espinosa) for a delightful trip back in time to the dawning of the television era with the club that was, like D23, “made for you and me.”

Destination D will also mark the debut of the Disney Legends Celebration, a heartfelt tribute to those who have made a lasting contribution to the Disney legacy. All Destination D attendees and Disney Legends will be invited to attend E-Ticket: Music from the Disney Parks, a concert of memorable tunes through the years at the Disneyland Resort with some very special guests, including Disney Legend Richard Sherman.

All guests will also receive a limited-edition set of colorful, vintage Disneyland postcards from the Walt Disney Archives Collection. It’s a reproduction of actual postcards sold when Disneyland opened in 1955—it’s just a coincidence that the complete set features 23 images!

There will also be a selection of limited edition merchandise available for purchase at the event.

Shown below is the current lineup for Destination D: Disneyland ’55 (times to be announced later this summer; panels and talent subject to change):

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2010

Mickey Mouse Club 55th Anniversary
    Join original Mouseketeers including Sharon Baird, Doreen Tracey, Bobby Burgess, Karen Pendleton, Sherry Van Meter (Alberoni), Tommy Cole, Cubby O’Brien, and Mary Geoff (Espinosa) for a magical walk down memory lane as they recall their favorite behind-the-scenes stories from the classic Disneyland attraction Mickey Mouse Club Circus.

Weird Disney
    From the startling visuals of the 1930’s Fanchon & Marco “Mickey Mouse Idea” vaudeville shows to Disneyland’s “Kap the Kaiser Aluminum Pig” and the “Crane Bathroom of Tomorrow,” Disney’s history has included some pretty offbeat stuff. Join Archives Director Becky Cline and Disney historian Paul Anderson as they act as your tour guides on a fun-filled, irreverent and often-surprising road trip through the wonderfully weird and wacky side of Disney.

From Quirky to Collectible: The Wonderful World of Disneyland Merchandise
    Curiouser and curiouser! From a Mark Twain Riverboat AM radio to a Matterhorn bank, we will present a treasure trove of timeless trinkets and unique souvenirs. Merchandise mavens Stacia Martin and Paul Anderson and Disney Archivist Rob Klein will take you to a collector’s Cloud Nine, including the “Top 5 Rarest Pieces of Disneyana” and the “Top 5 Strangest Items of Disneyland Memorabilia.” You won’t believe what they have found!

The 1964 New York World’s Fair and the Development of Audio Animatronics© Characters
    With so many incredible Disney achievements over the years, it’s hard to pick one as most impressive. But one milestone—Disney’s contribution to the 1964 New York World’s Fair—arguably stands far and above any other for its impact on Disneyland, the dawning of Walt Disney World, and now, the Disney theme park experience around the world. Hosted by historian Paul Anderson, this is a fascinating and remarkable story of how 50 years ago Walt and his Imagineers broke the barriers of technology and pioneered an entirely new chapter in the history of entertainment, and in doing so, drastically changed the course of Disney theme park history.

Imagineering the Magic of Disney
    Disney Legend Marty Sklar hosts a prestigious panel of some of Disney’s most creative minds made up of Imagineering Legends and current Imagineers. Join us as Bob Gurr, Blaine Gibson, Dave Durham, Kathy Mangum, Kevin Rafferty and other Imagineers share their memories and favorite moments about creating iconic attractions at the world’s most popular theme parks.

E-Ticket: Music from the Disney Parks
    As part of this year’s inaugural Disney Legends Celebration, D23 Members are invited to join some Disney Legends for a colorful concert of music from the past and present of Disneyland Resort. Highlighting the concert will be Disney Legend Richard Sherman, who—along with his brother Robert—has contributed a multitude of songs to the Disney parks legacy, including “it’s a small world,” “The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room, “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow,” and many more. Performing will be a host of special guests, including John Tartaglia (Avenue Q, Johnny and the Sprites), Ana Ortiz (Ugly Betty), Wilson Cruz (Rent, My So-Called Life), members of the Disney Employee Choir, and many more, all paying tribute to some of the most enduring tunes in the Disney canon.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2010

Disneyland Through the Eye of Television
    Archivist Rob Klein presents this unique look at the history of Disneyland as it was first seen by the general public—on television. This vibrant presentation includes Walt’s first announcement of Disneyland, highlights from the original Disneyland television anthology series showing progress on the park, classic anniversary specials as well as rarely seen promotional spots for Disneyland from the ’60s and ’70s for the Matterhorn, Main Street Electrical Parade, “New” Tomorrowland 1967 and much more!

Disney Undiscovered
    No creative idea, no matter how marvelously imagined, is guaranteed to make it from the sketchbooks of Disney Imagineers to the parks. 2010’s D23 Member gift, Disney Undiscovered pays tribute to Disney’s enduring creative spirit by celebrating the work of some of Disney’s greatest dreamers and artists, whose feats of creative daring – even if never completed – will stand the test of time as masterpieces of the imagination. Join us for a behind-the-scenes look at the further fascinating details about these rare, never-produced park attractions and the Imagineers who dreamed them up.

Disneyland: The Happiest Place in Pop Culture
    A humorous and informative journey through 55 years of popular culture as reflected in the original Magic Kingdom. Featuring rarely seen photos and film clips, the presentation, hosted by Disney authority Tim O'Day, will take you down memory lane, narrowly escaping bad fashions, bad hair and park entertainment, and events and attractions that definitely belong in Memoryland.

Disneyland: The Way We Were
    Remember the Mickey Mouse Club Circus, Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship, TWA Rocket to the Moon, The Frito Kid, or America Sings? Join Disney Chief Archivist Dave Smith as we explore some vintage images of Disneyland: first some rare color photographs taken during the park’s construction, then a look at some beloved, gone-but-not-forgotten attractions, shops and restaurants. Throughout this presentation, Dave will reminisce about early visits to Disneyland, taking the audience back to some classic moments in the park’s rich history.

A Word from the President
    Disneyland President George Kalogridis shares a very special presentation with D23.

The Wonderful World of Vintage Disneyland – In Color!
    Media Preservationist Ed Hobelman and Imagineer Tony Baxter share a trove of archival treasures and screen rarely seen color footage of Disneyland from the 1950s and 1960s

Disneyland USA Screening and Panel
    A big-screen presentation of the classic 1956 People and Places featurette, Disneyland USA, followed by a panel featuring members of the film’s restoration team, Disney Imagineers, and Disney Legends who experienced the park first-hand during those early years, including Tony Baxter, Ed Hobelman, Dave Smith and Geri Bumpass. Hosted by Tim O'Day
    More information about this event here: D23 | The Official Community for Disney Fans
    Last edited by Dustysage; 08-12-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: updated
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Destination D - September 24 & 25, 2010 - at the Disneyland Resort

Sigh. Stupid New York School...I would go just for the concert alone!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

It really does look interesting. This one in particular caught my eye:
    Weird Disney
    From the startling visuals of the 1930’s Fanchon & Marco “Mickey Mouse Idea” vaudeville shows to Disneyland’s “Kap the Kaiser Aluminum Pig” and the “Crane Bathroom of Tomorrow,” Disney’s history has included some pretty offbeat stuff. Join Archives Director Becky Cline and Disney historian Paul Anderson as they act as your tour guides on a fun-filled, irreverent and often-surprising road trip through the wonderfully weird and wacky side of Disney.
    Find us on Facebook:

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

That's my birthday (day 2). I'll try and go!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

hmm....I guess I'll TRY to convencie my family to fork up the money to buy these tixs as a SPECIAL Birthday present..
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

Curious how many tix will be available for this two day event.

Looks like they are pulling some fun and interesting things together.
    The Mur

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    Curious how many tix will be available for this two day event.

Looks like they are pulling some fun and interesting things together.
    There are 1,300 tickets available. So the good news is that everyone who gets a ticket will be able to see everything and there will be room for everyone to see and enjoy the entire program both days.

The bad news, of course, is that this event will sell out very quickly.
    Find us on Facebook:

Blog Entries

Is this going to be similar to past events where the actual member can buy a ticket for themselves as well as a guest? EDIT: Just saw that you can bring one guest.

This sounds awesome!

• Refugee from a island

I know where I'm going to be at 9:55 AM Monday morning!

• D23 Lover!

Aw wish I could go, but I totally can't afford it AND take off work on Friday. I was hoping that they would sell the days separately so I could just go on Saturday.

Though I wonder why this event is so much? It's more than the full 4 days at the Expo.

I'm guessing the expense on this is because there are fewer people to pay for the weekend. Sounds wonderful and I'm hoping I'll be able to swing it.

• Small Worlds of Walt

Quote Originally Posted by *Arielle* View Post
    Aw wish I could go, but I totally can't afford it AND take off work on Friday. I was hoping that they would sell the days separately so I could just go on Saturday.

Though I wonder why this event is so much? It's more than the full 4 days at the Expo.
    I agree. The cost does seem disproportionate to the quantity of presentations and panels to that of the Expo.

• Not a Minion

I wonder if they'll have displays up. For as much as the presentations sound cool, I think 2 full days of hearing people talk is just a lot of sitting and listening. I think it'd be great if they had things for people to do who may want to skip out on a panel. Maybe like hang an archives display up like they did at the expo or a room filled with upcoming Disney park models like at the expo. Or is this already happening and I read over it in the description? In any case, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    There are 1,300 tickets available. So the good news is that everyone who gets a ticket will be able to see everything and there will be room for everyone to see and enjoy the entire program both days.

The bad news, of course, is that this event will sell out very quickly.
    To be honest, I'm not sure if it will sell out quickly or not. While I know that my adrenaline will be pumping Monday morning as I'm attempting to get all my info entered as quickly as possible, just like every other event, the Disneyland events have rarely sold out in the first week or so.
    While I really want this event, which I think sounds great, to sell out in a matter of minutes, We will just have to see.
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 63!
    D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by *Arielle* View Post

The Expo was open to the public, and your ability to see various events was dependent on your willingness to wait long periods of time in lines.

This a event is for D23 members only (and guest) and there is suppose to be enough seating for each session so that you can see everything if you want.

When you figure that many of the other events have been $50 for a few hours, $125 for two full days doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast