Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: D23 Special Camp Rock Preview - August 7, 2010

I suspect that the Camp Rock producers paid a fee to use the D23 outlet. D23 does have a bottom line to maintain. If it is stuff like this that subsidizes the low cost events then that is life.

Yeah, if you don't like it, just don't go. It's not like that's the only event they have.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Mousecat View Post
    I suspect that the Camp Rock producers paid a fee to use the D23 outlet.
    Unlikely that the Disney Channel would have to pay a fee to lend a promotional hand to D23. While it is nowhere near the global success of what the 'HSM' franchise was for the DC 'Camp Rock' did well enough for them (in merchandising and ratings to help garner promotional partners revenue) to merit this sequel. For many D23 members (and DC taget demo families) an event like this is probably a big deal, the kind usually found at Paley television festival and Academy events at a higher ticket price.

D23 is an promotional outlet for the WDC. As it has failed to rack up even a million memberships, for something available worldwide, it needs promotional content to offer to it's existing members. This floats the appearance of ongoing value and variety.The D23 Expo showcased more than just what a certain percentage of the attendees are personally interested in. Spanning all the demos that are a part of the membership is the least they can do while they await word from the studio on what upcoming promotional opportunities they will be allowed to participate in or be given,
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Not a Minion

Did anybody besides myself sign up for this?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    Did anybody besides myself sign up for this?
    Nope, just you.

It's now 3pm. It's a "free" event to a world premiere. But this film so lacks any strong connection to the core D23 audience that, after hours and hours of these free tickets being available to D23 members, there are still free tickets left. And that studio theater only seats a few hundred. That's it.

Please take note, D23--partnering with the DVC, the DC, consumer products, etc., etc., for these type of events will likely damage your image more than it will boost your perceived power within the company. If the actual fan community believes that D23 = DVC sales meetings, Camp Rock whatever then you'll lose members and have difficulty attracting new ones. Sure, there are Camp Rock fans out there. But basically, 11-year-olds who are interested in the Jonas Bros aren't shelling out $75 for a D23 membership.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    Wowsers. I expect this to sell out quick.
    It didn't because this project doesn't overlap with the interests of the core D23 audience. Plain and simple.

None of the other screenings have sold out in the first hours that tickets have been available, either. I'm personally not interested in the screening, but I'm going because my little sister enjoys the films. The core audience of D23 may not be interested in the Jonas Bros., but I guarantee you the core audience's children are.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cruisedude4 View Post
    None of the other screenings have sold out in the first hours that tickets have been available, either. I'm personally not interested in the screening, but I'm going because my little sister enjoys the films. The core audience of D23 may not be interested in the Jonas Bros., but I guarantee you the core audience's children are.
    Definitely agree with this one. I don't expect all D23 members to enjoy the jonas bros (i haven't even seen the first camp rock), but i was expecting that members were either parents or know people who'd enjoy this event.

• Banned User

the other screenings were for films 50 years old, readily available on DVD and, well, YouTube. This was a premiere of sorts, with access to a film a month before it is released to the general public. A FREE premiere. That a revival screening didn't sell out immediately is one thing. That (what-amounts-to) a world premiere is another thing entirely. The two can't really be compared.

No surprise, even now, tickets still available.

It'll sell out eventually. And people are gonna have fun. I honestly have better things to do than watch a Disney Channel movie, but whatever, I'm excited.

• Banned User

I'm mainly concerned that events like these will lead to the end of D23. I would like D23 to succeed--especially the version of D23 that gives people access to the studio, to the Expo, to events like Destination D. Those sound great. And I bet those do relate strongly to the core D23 audience. But I think that D23 needs to protect its image and reputation. If fans believe that D23 is just shilling for other company profit centers (such as DVC), then I think support for D23 will dry up and the whole thing will go away.

It seems to me that D23's real challenge is to find ways to provide value to those who do not live in the Los Angeles area. That is where most of the events have been located and it is a good thing if you live here. They have some events in Florida but apparently not enough. And virtually nothing anywhere else. This Camp Rock thing would have been a good outside of LA event. If they can figure out this problem (an opportunity really) then they will be set. If not, I can see membership sliding pretty fast.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mousecat View Post
    It seems to me that D23's real challenge is to find ways to provide value to those who do not live in the Los Angeles area. That is where most of the events have been located and it is a good thing if you live here. They have some events in Florida but apparently not enough. And virtually nothing anywhere else. This Camp Rock thing would have been a good outside of LA event. If they can figure out this problem (an opportunity really) then they will be set. If not, I can see membership sliding pretty fast.
    1000% agree with this.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Somewhere beyond the walls of Disneyland in a land far, far away...

I couldn't agree more! Am I thrilled about this event? Not really. But I am glad to see an event that I would have no qualms taking a child to. My DH and I will be taking our nieces who both love the Jonas brothers and Demi Lovato. To see their faces light up seeing the movie on the big screen will make the whole thing worth it!

I know that D23 events are family friendly, but honestly I could not see bringing a child to the Expo (never-ending lines, "boring" (to them) speakers and presentations and a ton of walking); at the 1st Anniversary party, we spent far more time getting autographs and chatting with Disney Legends than riding rides!
    The film festival has been the best thing to us so far (though we've only been to one)...it's hard when you have to drive 5 hours to get to an event. We can make it to a few, but we have to pick and choose and carefully plan.....

But I agree with the other comments made as well. If D23 continues these marketing events, membership will decline rapidly. However, if this is a way for them to continue to put on such amazing events at a lower cost, then so be it. Maybe some events could be moved around to other places so the non-CA and non-FL folk can take part. Why not have mixers and smaller events outside CA/FL? Let those folks know they're appreciated too..not to mention anyone outside of the U.S. Just a thought...
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

• Diamond Edition

I think it's great that D23 is offering events that skew to a wider audience than what we're used to. The whole point of the club is that it's supposed to be for any Disney fan, regardless of age. They had a lot of success at the Expo when they presented the cast of Wizards of Waverly Place, so it makes perfect sense for them to offer this kind of event. And as several Mice Chatters have pointed out, a lot of members either have kids who are in Camp Rock 2's target audience or know someone who is and would love to go. If you're a fan of the film or its stars, this is a great opportunity. I'm surprised it hasn't sold out yet. I would expect that most tweens in the SoCal area would have $34.99 (plus the $5 processing fee) to get their early viewing and chance to meet the creative team behind it. And some of you act like it's a bad thing for D23 to try and bring in another audience to cater to. I think it would be amazing if D23 could continue to grow beyond it's current audience.
    I'm attempting to watch and review every Disney movie ever made in my blog called The Disney Films. You can also follow me on Twitter for news on upcoming Disney films.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast