Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

D23's Disney Geek video blog - Updated

Jeffrey Epstein of D23 is back in front of the camera. You may remember some of the teaser videos he did for last year's Expo. This time around he is hosting a weekly video podcast for Disney fans. A sort of round up of Disney news.

You can catch it right here:

UPDATE - New video posted (December 1, 2010)

Looking good Jeffrey.

-Dusty
    Last edited by Dustysage; 12-08-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Getting caught up
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

re: D23's Disney Geek video blog - Updated

Jeffrey!!!

• Not a Minion

Good stuff. Definitely entertaining and kept my attention for the full 5:34. Typically, if I run across a video on youtube any longer than 3 or 4 minutes, I'll just turn away, but Jeffrey did a great job keeping the pace up and the jokes here and there were definitely amusing.

My thoughts for improvement: I'd love to see some video clips related to the events. For example, maybe a clip from the WDW Aluhani event and a small sound clip from Steven Clark and Tony Baxter during the Star Tours event. For the next episode, this could be sound bites from the Camp Rock event from the creative team. I think these added visuals would definitely improve the production quality of the podcasts. I love the news style format, but I'd like to see less of the small thumbnail on the corner which on the web looks too small to see detail, and just more of visual "b-roll" cut aways when discussing various topics. And just a last thought: why can't they just announce the website as d23.com rather than disney.com/d23. I think the shorter the better, making it easier for people to go and type in the URL.

For a first episode, they did a great job and knowing D23 reads these forums, I hope they find my thoughts helpful towards improving future podcasts. And with that said, I just can't help but add on this: If D23 would like a video editor for all this, I'd love to help .

Looking forward to next week's episode (and ps: I like the updated graphics on the site)

• The Study of Wumbo

Hmm... It was okay. It just sounded like a dry school presentation, or a complete advertisement. Maybe it was just because it was so scripted. I would either like it to be more like a "vlog," that anyone else could do on YouTube, (more intimate, realistic.) Or, maybe, a little more enthusiastic and exciting. Like that guy Eddie, that does the DCA Preview videos? I don't know.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    Hmm... It was okay. It just sounded like a dry school presentation, or a complete advertisement. Maybe it was just because it was so scripted. I would either like it to be more like a "vlog," that anyone else could do on YouTube, (more intimate, realistic.) Or, maybe, a little more enthusiastic and exciting. Like that guy Eddie, that does the DCA Preview videos? I don't know.
    I think this was just the first one. Though I'm sure they appreciate thoughts and suggestions like yours and Ryan's. It will be interesting to see where they take this and if it lasts.

It does come across sort of rushed, with little bits of lots of different things. But I suppose they want you to read the rest on their site.

Still, I'm biased on this subject since I'm a fan of Jeffrey's.
    Find us on Facebook:

Woo hoo!! I have that yellow EPCOT Center shirt, too!!

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    I didn't find it to feel scripted, but I think it's a good suggestion for them to analyze for future ones.

My only thoughts are on the vlog where I think with D23 being the official fan club, I think they need to have more production value over what everyone else can do on youtube. I know they're busy folks, but I think doing "reports" around various Disney lots (Jeffrey just returned from WDW, so I think having done a vlog from his hotel room with that awesome view) would be interesting or presenting more information on Destination D from the Disneyland hotel where it'd be held would be great. Of course, taking it to this level of production is just going to be much more time consuming and would require they hire additional staff or take away time from other aspects of work they need to do.

But yeah, the comment on enthusiastic and exciting is good in my opinion, but don't over do it so it feels sarcastic.

Once again this is the first (of what I hope to be many more to come) DisneyGeek, so I'm eager to see the direction this goes.

Another fun thing to do which could help with marketing is a "meet the members" segment where at the events, Jeffrey (or other enthusiastic D23 staff) and a camera person goes around to meet the various D23 members at an event, just asking them what they love about Disney and why their members. I think it'd be a fun bit to do, but unfortunately I think can only be done once a year around their anniversary season.

(ps: i don't expect D23 to abide by all of our comments. being a video editor, I know how difficult it is to produce a video that would please everybody. one group may like one change while another will dislike it. just something to keep in mind)

• Not a Minion

Episode 2 of DisneyGeek is live:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZAa9ukXnns]YouTube - D23's Disney Geek - August 12, 2010[/ame]

Liked it once again - very much filled with information useful for any Disney geek (the stuff on Disneyland/DCA and closure schedule is very good stuff to know). And the video message from Ana Ortiz (and friends, cant recall their names already) was a nice addition.

Unfortunately, I think two things are a downgrade from the first episode. First, time – at 7:32, it felt long and draggy, but it could just be me being automatically biased towards any video on youtube over 5 minutes. Second, the audio is a bit more echoy and tangy sounding than the first episode. Not sure why since I think both episodes didn't have a dedicated microphone (boom, or lav) on Jeffrey, so perhaps its camera placement that changed.

So overall, content was there and I'm just nitpicking on the tiny details.

PS: I think Jeffrey got a new keyboard . Being an Apple geek myself, I have to say that the new keyboard he has is much more enjoyable to type on than the older, thicker keyboards Apple used to make.

PS #2: Could the point about being too busy going to the Parks be a reference to doing these episodes at the parks also??? I think it's a fun idea, but could prove a challenge depending on the crowds (and definitely audio would be an issue unless they equip Jeffrey with a wireless lavaliere).

Anyhoo, looking forward to episode 3.
    Last edited by ryanvalle; 08-12-2010 at 08:55 AM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: D23's Disney Geek video blog - Updated

I hope Jeffrey is at least getting a free Disney shirt every week when he does this blog.

Enjoyed it.
    Find us on Facebook:

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Yah I enjoy this format. Quick news and official.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

The thing is, so far none of this has been breaking news. Everything covered in both episodes had already been discussed to death on all the Disney fan sites, news digests, Twitter feeds, etc.

I'm still waiting for D23 to give me *real* insider information the way MiceAge does...

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
    The thing is, so far none of this has been breaking news. Everything covered in both episodes had already been discussed to death on all the Disney fan sites, news digests, Twitter feeds, etc.

I'm still waiting for D23 to give me *real* insider information the way MiceAge does...
    For us "intense" DisneyGeeks, it is probably news that's not new (though I will admit, the info on Disneyland ride closures are things I havent heard about - yes it's been mentioned, but D23 was the first people I heard it from), but for everyday folks or people not as dedicated on MiceAge or any other disney blog, it's definitely useful stuff. But even if that's the case, I love being able to get that much news and information in just a few minutes rather than spending an hour (or more) getting caught up in all the discussions online especially when I'm short on time with work (and soon,school).

Hopefully, as DisneyGeek grows, the news will be more breaking and will be the first to report some things before anybody else such as first looks on new attractions or maybe on-set experiences and sneak peaks of Disney movies in production. Being that D23 is within the company, there are much more possibilities of what they can deliver. I think it's just a matter of time before they can allocate the resources and permission to allow for these kinds of breaking news bits to happen.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

August the 18th update now available.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OU6KWyUGUA&]YouTube - D23's Disney Geek - August 18, 2010[/ame]
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 08-18-2010 at 03:52 PM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Newest Disney Geek videocast from D23:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS1hWa31A8M]YouTube - D23's Disney Geek - August 25, 2010[/ame]
    Find us on Facebook:

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Here's the latest from Jeffrey and D23.
    Tinkerbell, news season of Dancing with the Stars, Emmy Awards, Toy Story 3's BIG number, Disney Channel Rocks show, Aulani and more:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alABnxQC2xo]YouTube - D23's Disney Geek - September 1, 2010[/ame]
    Find us on Facebook:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast