• 10 Year Annual Passholder

"Friends and Family" Trading Day 8/21

On Saturday, August 21, D23 will be holding an event in Glendale at Walt Disney Imagineering's employee store, Mickey's of Glendale. More info on it can be found here.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 10.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• Not a Minion

Re: "Friends and Family" Trading Day 8/21

Count me in. With the number of people that showed up last time, Im surprised that they aren't doing a ticketing system this time around.

With an opening at 8am, do you think it's quite absurd to show up at 7am (or earlier) to avoid the heavy crowds?

Also, does anybody know what book they'll be selling/signing for the event?

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    Count me in. With the number of people that showed up last time, Im surprised that they aren't doing a ticketing system this time around.

With an opening at 8am, do you think it's quite absurd to show up at 7am (or earlier) to avoid the heavy crowds?

Also, does anybody know what book they'll be selling/signing for the event?
    Wow, I wasn't at the previous one, was it really that packed?

And was it worth a trip up? How many hours would you dedicate to driving up there before it becoming not worthwhile?

I think getting there at 7 would be fine if the crowds are as huge as you say.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 10.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    Wow, I wasn't at the previous one, was it really that packed?

And was it worth a trip up? How many hours would you dedicate to driving up there before it becoming not worthwhile?

I think getting there at 7 would be fine if the crowds are as huge as you say.
    I wasn't there last time, but i heard stores. It was the same day as the D23 screening of pollyana and I recall the staff telling how busy it was there. I live like 20-30 minutes away by freeway so getting there early for me isn't a problem.

Personally, if you have nothing to do on a saturday morning, I think it'll be worth a trip. My friend showed me a "University of Walt Disney Imagineering" sweater she bought at the last event and I think being able to own something like that is worth any drive if you're available haha.

Hopefully somebody that was at the last event can chime in with the experience (and I'm sure there's got to be a good amount of you if the large crowds that I'm recalling was really there).

• D23 Lover!

I was at the last one, and I'm hesitant about going back because of the crowd. I got a cool sweatshirt, but I literally stood in line for 2 hours to buy it. There were only two cash registers and they were going REALLY slow. We didn't have time to get lunch before Pollyanna.

This one might even be more packed because of Marty Sklar.

I live about 15 minutes away from the event and I probably wouldn't drive more than an hour. The store isn't very big, just has some exclusive merchandise that's kind of cool, but nothing worth a two hour wait (in my opinion). Though meeting Marty Sklar would be pretty cool.

I went last time. I did stand in line for over an hour! And I did use my Disney Visa Rewards card heavily.

It is worth the trip, if you are a Disney pin collector and don't have a cast member connection. These Saturday morning events are your only opportunity to get WDI pins at reasonable prices. Similarly, if you are a Disneyana collector, there are items that are unique to WDI. Also, if you collect signatures of pin artists/authors/Disney legends, then a Saturday morning visit to MoG might be worth your time.

I would suggest that you attend with someone or make friends quickly. After you enter the store, person #1 should stand in the checkout line immediately. Person #2 can look at the merchandise and shop. Once person #2 is done browsing, they can swap places with person #1, allowing person #1 the time to shop.

At the DFC/NFFC show and sale, the rumor was that there would be two D23 Saturday events: one in August and one in October/November. Weather is the big factor, since the pin trading takes place out on the patio.
    Mike L
    Premier Annual Passport
    D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
    '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
    '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Destination D

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I was at the last one (and at Pollyanna too...what a day)

We were in line around 2 hours. The time didn't bother me half as much as the fact that the a/c wasn't working and it was extremely hot in the store. I had a really nasty migraine by the time we checked out.

I can't make this one, which saddens me because I wanted Marty's autograph on the book. I'd recommend attending if you collect or enjoy more unique Disney/WDI items. Plus it's just sort of awesome to be on campus where the Imagineers work.

I don't know this for certain but I'd be willing to bet that they will run another shopping day before the holidays.

Another great day of shopping! But for the love of all things Disney, please, please, please add more cash registers!!!!!!
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

I was there yesterday.

I had a nice time, overall.

The good:
    • Very cool stuff at the store
    • D23 cast members and store cast members were awesome
    • The people attending the event were also very nice
    Needs improvement:
    • Over 90 minutes in line to pay. There were not enough registers to handle the amount of people at the event
    • There was a water station set up outside the store but the time I had waited in line all of the water was gone. It was hot both inside and outside the store and it was a long walk back to the car so a cup of water would have been great. I would have paid for a bottle had it been available.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Not a Minion

I was at the event also, but only in the first hour and a half since I had to make it to work my 10. I'm glad I did that because it allowed me to beat the crowds and heat. I only waited 45 minutes to pay, so it definitely was not that bad. Of course, I wish I couldve met Marty, but my schedule did not allow that.

I look forward to the next event and hopefully I'll have time to pin trade as well

• space ranger

I had a lot of fun at Mickey's of Glendale but my wallet is crying today. They had a lot of merchandise only sold there. In the afternoon I attended the Bark at the Park at Dodgers Stadium and saw a lady with a World of Color shirt with a guy in a WDI shirt. D23 members are everywhere!!

Was there a mention of when the next D23 Saturday at MoG would occur?
    Mike L
    Premier Annual Passport
    D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
    '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
    '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Destination D

• Not a Minion

I haven't heard of anything, but I'd be very very surprised if they don't end up having one near the holiday season.