New Role for D23?

I just purchased John Canemaker's new book "Two Guys Named Joe". Great book published by Disney Editions, but there are several credits -- opposite the title page and on the cover end flap -- to D23. Not sure of the role D23 played, but if the existence of D23 is another reason to publish more on Disney history, then I am glad I am a member. -- Suzanne

• Not a Minion

Re: New Role for D23?

My wild guess is that the credit may be somehow related to the close relationship (or as I see as a close relationship) D23 has with Disney Archives. It's not a factual answer, but just a wild guess, so don't take me as a credible source. I just put it out there because of the many times I see Becky Cline at the D23 events (who works with the archives) and recalling seeing Steven Clark, founder in D23, in photos which relate to the Disney Archives.

Personally, I suspect the club being more than just a fan club for the company, but serves as a way for the public to get closer to the company's past, present, and future.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
    I just purchased John Canemaker's new book "Two Guys Named Joe". Great book published by Disney Editions, but there are several credits -- opposite the title page and on the cover end flap -- to D23. Not sure of the role D23 played, but if the existence of D23 is another reason to publish more on Disney history, then I am glad I am a member. -- Suzanne
    It's the same with the paperback of 'Windows on Main Street' a D23 edition

• Just another Disney fan..

D23 like the archives all fall under corporate communications of which Steven Clark is the head.

Besides becoming the vehicle from which the corporation can provide "unprecidented access" to all its assets across the company to the fans (code word for consumers), D23 also provides a revenue stream to the corporate communications division that never had one before (to my best knowledge).

I am not against the company using D23 for this purpose as long as they deliver the goods and provide interesting events that we would otherwise not be able to experience.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

My guess is that this is purely a synergy thing. D23 is not a profit center for the company so they don't get paid for the use of their logo in a book. They are probably just stamping the D23 logo and info in books that appeal to the fan base as a way to grow the membership and spread awareness.

If D23 was writing books of its own, we'd all know, because they'd be promoting the heck out of it.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    My guess is that this is purely a synergy thing. D23 is not a profit center for the company so they don't get paid for the use of their logo in a book. They are probably just stamping the D23 logo and info in books that appeal to the fan base as a way to grow the membership and spread awareness.

If D23 was writing books of its own, we'd all know, because they'd be promoting the heck out of it.

It's also on the new Imagineering book too. I noticed it also and thought it was interesting...but what you say makes sense Dusty.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!