D23 Tour of the Walt Disney Studios & Archives 08-14-10

D23 walking Tour of the Walt Disney Studios & Archives. Including a conversation with Dave Smith, Founder & Chief of the Disney Archives. Dave brings out some surprises & shares Disneyland history with our group. 08-14-10. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Dustysage; 08-18-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Video removed at the request of D23

• Minion

Re: D23 Tour of the Walt Disney Studios & Archives 08-14-10

cool Video!

• Not a Minion

When I took the tour (in April?) I was told video redording was not allowed due to union rules on the studio. Did they change that this time around?

That's exactly what they told us 2 days ago too. And there's no photography or video allowed in the basement of the animation building at all. Plus no offense but i wouldn't want it to seem like my $50 spent was a total waste because now anyone can experience the tour.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak777 View Post
    That's exactly what they told us 2 days ago too. And there's no photography or video allowed in the basement of the animation building at all. Plus no offense but i wouldn't want it to seem like my $50 spent was a total waste because now anyone can experience the tour.
    Yeah, the photography and video recording in the basement is something I forgot to mention. When I took the tour, they forgot to tell my group of no photography in the basement, so I took pictures freely like I did everywhere else in the studio. After posting the pictures online, D23 calls me asking me kindly for me to take down the pictures. Of course I complied since I didn't want to risk being hated on by the D23 staff and wanted to ensure that the mistake wouldn't affect any future tour opportunities for others.

D23 does read the stuff on here, so I'm sure if they have any issues, they'll find a way to get in touch with the right people to get the video taken down.

Sorry to see this video removed. Quality was excellant and was a great memory of the tour. I was on this exact visit and "g3311r" asked permission to video tape numerous times and numerous locations. He was given the okay by the D23 reps and guide that were there. Of course there were a few locations the group was asked not to take any photos or video of and everyone complied. I don't feel this video being posted causes anyone to waste the $50.00 fee. There are many people that for various reasons will not be able to go on this tour. So for them, this could be wonderful.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kat3010 View Post
    Sorry to see this video removed. Quality was excellant and was a great memory of the tour. I was on this exact visit and "g3311r" asked permission to video tape numerous times and numerous locations. He was given the okay by the D23 reps and guide that were there. Of course there were a few locations the group was asked not to take any photos or video of and everyone complied. I don't feel this video being posted causes anyone to waste the $50.00 fee. There are many people that for various reasons will not be able to go on this tour. So for them, this could be wonderful.
    It is indeed a great tour. Typically, D23 is lenient about these things, probably assuming such recording would be for personal use (i.e.: home videos). However, the way I see it, once put on the internet, it releases some of their "trade secrets" to competition.

In addition, even though D23 says it's okay, there are executives, security, and lawyers which probably have a greater say as to why these things should be taken down.

And just a reminder: I'm no D23 representative (though it'd be cool to be one), so don't take what I say as official statements, but just personal opinions.

• Banned User

Sigh. short sighted. There are TONS of videos from previous tours all over the web, easily located. (Anyone under the age of 30 should be able to find them, without problem.) You would think that an amateur 10-minute video would make more people WANT to go join D23 and go on the tour. The best part of the experience is being there--not watching photos online.