Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• mannequins man

Magic and Merriment - sells out in zero seconds

I guess the word is out that the D23 events are worth it. I was on my computer and waiting, refreshing, and as soon as the link was posted I was clicked in and it already said sold out.

I got an automated message already that 200 tickets was the limit and they could not offer multiple evenings or expand capacity.

Bummer - but congrat to those that got in.

Constructive comment - perhaps next year there can be a request that people who have gone before give newbies a chance to attend? It seemed like such a nice opportunity - especially the Castle Suite.

Will there be a "rif-raf" room for those of us who didn't get tickets?

I had a great time at the Sip and Stroll and Dave Smith Retirement Dinner. Sorry I haven't posted my pictures yet.

Re: Magic and Merriment - sells out in zero seconds

Too bad you couldn't get in.

Hopefully I will have better luck when they release tickets for the Fantasia event in Boston. Not sure if this is expected to go as quickly but I will be standing by the computer when tickets are released, I know the venue isn't that big if it is in the theater I believe it will be held in. The NY preview of the new store apparently went real fast too even.. before I knew they were made available!

Really looking forward to getting a change to go to my first D23 event, hopfully I am quick enough. It's so rare for something to be outside of California or Florida.

• Diamond Edition

D23 Events are special, once in a lifetime experiences that are sure to thrill every member that attends. As a result, many of their events are necessarily small and intimate in scale. An event like Magic & Merriment offers so many unique experiences, like dinner on the set of Indiana Jones and a tour of Cinderella Castle Suite.

I've seen a lot of the criticism on Facebook and most people don't understand why they can't increase capacity. To anyone who went to Dave Smith's retirement dinner at Sip & Stroll, you know that the dinner was for around 200 people and when they announced that the buffet was open, the lines were long at first. Can you imagine if capacity was doubled? And from what I hear the Castle Suite is really small. I believe that they tour in groups of 15 to 20. Can you imagine trying to get pictures in there with 30 to 40 other people at the same time? The event would lose so much quality if they increased the capacity.

Someone said that they should hold this event every weekend in December. To anyone who has been to Disney World on a weekend in December, you know that it is one of the most crowded times of the year. Lots of people travel here and locals come to the parks for the holiday festivities. An event of this scale not only puts a lot of strain on the D23 team to plan and put on, but it also puts a lot of strain on the parks. I'm sure the parks wouldn't be very accommodating if they wanted to take over areas on multiple weekends in a row.

The bottom line is that Magic & Merriment is a very special event that only a handful of members get to attend each year. Thankfully it is an annual event, so everyone who hasn't gone yet can try again next year, but the only other option is to not hold the event at all, which would be a real shame. It's much better that 200 people get a really special experience than nobody at all.
    I'm attempting to watch and review every Disney movie ever made in my blog called The Disney Films. You can also follow me on Twitter for news on upcoming Disney films.

• Too far from Disney World

Here's my two cents:

One would think that if they are going to hold events in cities around the USA, that they might open it up to the members closest to the event first so they have a chance to enjoy a D23 event. At least for events that are only going to be a few hours like the Fantasia event.

I could try for tickets to an event in California (where many of the events have taken place) but I live in Ohio so I'd rather someone else that lives closer or be able to turn it into a vacation get to attend an event that is only going to be for a few hours one evening.

That's just my opinion. It does seem that they need to make the ticketing more fair or expand the number of people able to attend. Or make it exclusive to members only and only allow one ticket per person.
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

If capacity can't be increased, tickets should be limited to D23 members only. For this event, each member could purchase up to three additional tickets. Since this event seems to be extremely popular, if you're not a D23 member, you don't get tickets. At least 200 members would have a shot at all the available tickets.

• Just another Disney fan..

I say they should do a drawing for these popular events. D23 members put in a refundable deposite to enter a random drawing to see who gets the spots. Seems like the fairest way to me.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I think they should limit these type of events too to one or two a year per member. IDK if repeats are an issue, though. Their horrible ticketing system certainly doesn't help.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    I think they should limit these type of events too to one or two a year per member. IDK if repeats are an issue, though. Their horrible ticketing system certainly doesn't help.
    That's be a great idea actually. Maybe let gold members get to go to one or two more. That way people would be forced to choose which events they want to go to instead of just registering for every one that comes along.

• mannequins man

Its interesting to see everyone's thoughts - I've had a lot of the same also since my original post - drawings, limits on # of tickets, members only - could do two per transaction but be required to enter both member numbers. I'm sure the D23 team is well aware of the feedback - and we can all hope to see a more expanded event next year. I heard people saying that last year, Sip and Stroll was really small, like 30 people - but this year I think was more than 200 - so its growing fast.

Somewhere beyond the walls of Disneyland in a land far, far away...

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    That's be a great idea actually. Maybe let gold members get to go to one or two more. That way people would be forced to choose which events they want to go to instead of just registering for every one that comes along.
    The idea behind that is great, however the problem is that D23 doesn't release their events in advance. If one doesn't know the events that will take place, how could they make an informed decision about which events to try and attend? (none of us knows what events D23 has up their sleeves in the future...just sayin')

As far as the Magic & Merriment tickets go, congrats to everyone who was lucky enough to score tickets. My friend has not yet been able to attend a D23 event due to where she lives and when she saw that M&M was going to take place while her and her mother would be at WDW for their vacation she was so excited! She was on the computer ready to go, but when the link became available, she got the sold out message!
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDuck View Post
    One would think that if they are going to hold events in cities around the USA, that they might open it up to the members closest to the event first so they have a chance to enjoy a D23 event. At least for events that are only going to be a few hours like the Fantasia event.

I could try for tickets to an event in California (where many of the events have taken place) but I live in Ohio so I'd rather someone else that lives closer or be able to turn it into a vacation get to attend an event that is only going to be for a few hours one evening.

That's just my opinion. It does seem that they need to make the ticketing more fair or expand the number of people able to attend. Or make it exclusive to members only and only allow one ticket per person.
    I strongly disagree about the geographic restriction, members should be able to attend any event wherever they wish if they want to make their own travel arrangements.

However, I have felt for some time that these events should be open to members only! If you have a S.O. that you wish to attend events with, the solution is very simple: both of you must become members! Registration could include multiple names as long as each has a membership number (to avoid the problem of everyone in the party having to register themselves).

I think it is ludicrous that half these events are filled with "guests" of members... when hundreds of dues paying members are left out in the cold.
    --Jonathan

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

The thing is, though, to have 2 members of the same household who don't live near CA or FL... it would be a waste if you weren't able to travel there. Who would need 2 issues of the magazine? That is what it boils down to for members who might not get a chance to go to an event. if both of us had to pay to be members, then we wouldn't renew, because there has been one event out here, and we almost didn't make it to that.

As someone else said - events aren't announced too far in advance, and that makes it more difficult to make travel arrangements Esp. for people like us who are limited on when we can travel.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey orl fla View Post
    Constructive comment - perhaps next year there can be a request that people who have gone before give newbies a chance to attend? It seemed like such a nice opportunity - especially the Castle Suite.
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, this is one of the reasons we didn't try again for tickets this year. It's basically the same event, so we figured to let someone else have a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mmeleota View Post
    The idea behind that is great, however the problem is that D23 doesn't release their events in advance.
    YES! I feel like this is a huge problem. D23 doesn't see it because we all move heaven and earth to rearrange our schedules at the last minute, but I'm tired of paying to do the same event twice or missing out on things I've already booked because D23 waits so long to release details and start selling tickets.

Hi All,

I just this morning ran into the "sold out" problem you are talking about. I've been a member of D23 since the beginning, but I was living in Chicago until a few months ago so hadn't really bothered about even finding out that there were events available. Now I'm back in LA and figured I would try to go to some to check them out.

Well, I tried to get tickets for an advanced screening of Tangled yesterday. For some reason, that one requested you send an email instead of a link, but it said it would take 24-48 hours and I still haven't heard whether I got it. Then I tried this morning for tickets to a panel with some of the Tron screenwriters, but which is really a glorified merchandising event as I understand it =) But on that one, I clicked and refreshed and yep - got the "sold out".

Anyone been able to get some of these in demand tickets and have any tricks on how to time it/etc. to get in? I'm not too bummed yet and I'm really hoping I get the Tangled tickets since I would rather have those anyways.

But I agree with many of you - I can see this becoming a problem, particularly if there is some way that repeat people figure out they can get in and it's not completely the luck of the draw on which computers grab the link at the right time. Since I've just started trying, I will just keep my fingers crossed that if not Tangled, I can get another one in the near future, but it would be nice if they developed some sort of system so that everyone who is interested can at some point get a chance to go to an event.

Alisa

• Wilderness Explorer

Hey Alisa, I had the same problem. I think it's a website glitch. I clicked the link immediately after it came up and it said sold out... I thought "there's no way this many people are sitting here waiting for this..." Well, the tickets weren't actually sold out.
    I didn't give up hope, I kept refreshing the page and clicking on the link. Eventually (around 5 minutes later) I got into the ticketing page and bought tickets to the TRON event.
    It's been about 50 minutes now so you may be out of luck... but check back anyway.

I too tried signing up for the Tangled event. What time did the information appear for you? It didn't come up for me (after continuous refreshing) till about 10:02/10:03. I was pretty pissed, because I've experienced this in the past as well. Thinking that everyone else had it show up that late, I've found out that some people see the info earlier than others.
    Hope others saw it posted that late as well.
    I sent off my e-mail immediately but I'm still unsure. Crossing my fingers and hoping for that e-mail though.
    You at least got your "Out of office" confirmation reply that they got your e-mail, right?

EDIT: It says they still have tickets for the TRON event! I even clicked on the link to make sure. GO! Grab your tickets before it's too late.
    D23: The Official Disney Fan Club

EDIT 2: Oh, and I just got my Tangled e-mail. I got in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast