Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland PAP

Charter Member Renewals for a Third Straight Year

So I'm a Charter Member. Ordered on Day 2, but I guess D23 doesn't give surprise "Day 2" pins to its members. I don't really visit the D23 site too much, certainly not on a weekly. I guess monthly is a more accurate average. And I never read any of my disney twenty-three magazine issues; the darn sturdy packaging got the better of my collector anal-retentiveness, making me want to handle them minimally. In '09, I enjoyed a free tour of the Studios and Archives and I attended D23 Expo (that name's still a mouthful to say).

In '10, I did far less D23 stuff. I'm still kicking myself for passing on the D23 "Mary Poppins" event at the Ahmansen that had the surprise appearance of Dick Van Dyke! I went to the Imagineering employee store but got caught off-guard by the masses of D23 members and their guests who attended, so I didn't get in that two-hour line to buy anything. And I had to miss the Destination D23 because ironically my family had already planned a get-together at Disneyland to celebrate my Dad's birthday that same weekend.

But over this past weekend, I went ahead and renewed my membership for a third straight year. I think it's pricey for the lack of events I ended up doing, but I chose to use my rewards dollars from my Disney Rewards Visa toward it, softening the pain in my bank account. I'm looking forward to attending D23 Expo again and hopefully other D23-sponsored events. I'm also looking forward to getting that watch! I'd love to have it now; I had to ship my smartphone for repairs over the weekend too, and now I can't tell time without a computer or car dashboard in front of me LOL! Oh, and I finally read a full issue of my disney twenty-three magazine; it was the TRON: Legacy issue. Discovered some cool articles in there that I really enjoyed. Maybe I'll read more.

So in a nutshell, that's been my experience as a D23 Charter member for the past two years. Anyone else renewing for a 3rd year too…or not?

• Disney Trivia God

Re: Charter Member Renewals for a Third Straight Year

Yeah, I'm going to renew. Although I don't live close enough to CA or FL to attend most of the events, I do think that the value I'm receiving through D23 is enough for me to be happy with. Besides -- I've already got my D23 Expo ticket for 2011, so I'll need it to get through the door early.

• Refugee from a island

Yup, I'll be renewing for a third year. I did join that first or second day, I was out of town, so I did get to join until I returned the following week, but I'm still a charter member.

I've managed to attend several events, the most recent being Disney and Dickens last week. And I'm looking forward to the Expo in August.

All-in-all, D23 membership has been and continue to be worth it to me.

• Disney Dork

My membership is good til June. And I'm not sure I'm going to re-up. The first year I did some of the events like the studio tour. Definitely going to the Expo, but the price cut in the that for members isn't really enough to justify the membership. Love the magazine though.

I'm in when my renewal comes.

Did Destinatin D and the Great Disney Scavenger Hunt this year. Both were good experiences. I also attended the Archive's 40th Anniversary celebration on the lot.

Looking forward to the Expo this year; I wasn't able to attend the first one in 2009.
    The Mur

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

IDK, we'll see if they announce anything near me. W/a baby on the way, we won't be gonig to DL or WDW so other than the magazines, a membership would be extra useless.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Future CM...someday ºoº

I'm definitely renewing for a 3rd year. First year all I did was go to the expo. Then this year I went to the screening of Peter Pan and got to meet Tony Anselmo, but my boyfriend had to talk to him for me, I was too shy and overly excited haha. And I went to that sale in Downtown Disney. Next year my bf is finally joining and I hope to go to one of the tours at the studios in April for my bf's and my 3rd year anniversary. Sooo excited about this next year! I love being a member. The events, the clothes, the magazines and each little gift that comes with them. ^.^

• Not a Minion

Definitely going to renew. I may settle with the silver membership though since this time around, school has gotten more expensive and money's getting tighter every month. Heck, the financially responsible decision will probably be to not renew and use my money towards more "responsible" expenses like gas and food but heck, D23 membership is worth it and with the increasing number of awesome events (*cough*cough*early screenings like tangled and the 50 and fabulous events*cough*cough), I'll probably be happier with a third year's worth of membership. And plus, the 2nd expo is coming up and it'll probably be fun to finally make my way to that as a member since I missed out on the first one .

BUT PLEASE D23, can we get a 2nd year anniversary party or the likes of a private event at the park again?

• Disneyland PAP

So I went home for lunch, and in the mail I got a plain white padded envelope. Inside was a huge D23 fan club "2011" pin with Dale. This came after I got an email from the Disney Store a few days ago telling my membership "order" was shipping. I just looked through the product description on the Disney Store site and didn't see mention of a pin. So I'm guessing this is a bonus gift…? I'm not a big pinhead, but it's a nice token.

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I'm rather confused by the information released so far for everyone wanting to renew for a third year. The Disney Store website from what I'm reading into how its written is saying you must want until 2011 before renewing your Membership or you'll recieve the current 2010 package including calender. Since I already have the calender I see no reason to renew until 2011 when I can recieve the watch which is something I do not own. Is it me reading it wrong or could some people be caught out here?

Renewals in 2010 receive Disney Undiscovered: A 23-Month Calendar of Disney's Unrealized Masterpieces from the Walt Disney Archives Collection. This vibrant piece offers rare and never-before-seen images from Disney parks, animation, and live-action films.

Renewals in 2011 receive our Membership-Exclusive D23 Watch featuring charming Bandleader Mickey art and the numbers 2 and 3 highlighted (of course!) plus a leather band
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    So I went home for lunch, and in the mail I got a plain white padded envelope. Inside was a huge D23 fan club "2011" pin with Dale. This came after I got an email from the Disney Store a few days ago telling my membership "order" was shipping. I just looked through the product description on the Disney Store site and didn't see mention of a pin. So I'm guessing this is a bonus gift…? I'm not a big pinhead, but it's a nice token.
    So I heard about this special surprise pin but I have a question. Did you renew for your 3rd year this year already? or is this a bonus gift for 2nd year members? Did you receive a duplicate calandar or did you get the watch. The site did say if you renew this year you'd receive the calandar and renewals purchased in 2011 would receive the watch, which is why im waiting. I'm confused =(

I've renewed, and I'm north of Sacramento, so I don't get to the events. I did happen to be there during a mixer at ESPN Zone, and got to be on the Last Flight to Endor with my wife (that alone has made it worthwhile for me, and I made a special trip just for that... it will be a memory for life).

SoCal people probably get more value, (I'd love to see D23 "clubs" start up in different areas outside of the greater areas around the parks, with some basic direction for the D23 crew in setting up group trips with special items (Maybe running a forum for the group members to use for events). (IE: D23 Group in xxx town gets to setup a group trip of D23 members/families, D23 arranges some special memory for the group during the trip (Tour, meet an imagineer, VIP viewing of World of Color, etc). That would be really cool and really drive up membership outside of the metro areas of the parks.
    They could even have information on the local "chapter" at the Disney Parks.

• Your Average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by James90241 View Post
    So I heard about this special surprise pin but I have a question. Did you renew for your 3rd year this year already? or is this a bonus gift for 2nd year members? Did you receive a duplicate calandar or did you get the watch. The site did say if you renew this year you'd receive the calandar and renewals purchased in 2011 would receive the watch, which is why im waiting. I'm confused =(
    That's my understanding too - I'm waiting to renew in January so I get the watch.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by James90241 View Post
    I renewed for a third year in early December and received the lapel pin, which was a surprise, and then a few days later, the watch arrived. I didn't receive a calendar, and didn't expect to since I'd already received the calendar when I renewed for my second year last year. I did expect the watch, which is nice and I actually wore it the first day I got it. The black strap's a little skinny for my tastes, but I plan to wear it to D23 Expo!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

My membership doesn't expire until March. I will re up for one more year by Feb. , since I plan on going to Expo next year. After that.... not sure.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast