• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Red Face Contemplating Joining - Yay or Nay?

Okay. So I know a lot of people didn't think joining D23 was worth it initially.

Since then, I've noticed they've made 2 different levels, silver and gold. Silver is $34.99 whereas gold is $74.99.

I started thinking maybe I should join when I realized I'd forgotten to purchase my D23 Expo tickets yesterday...just been way too busy :/ I plan on going to the Expo with my boyfriend. We live about an hour away from Disneyland, and as of now we had planned on going on Friday and Saturday that weekend, based on what the lineup was in 2009. We have not planned to stay in a hotel to save money.

I realize that buying tickets now would cost me $47 a day, and my boyfriend hasn't purchased his yet as it's just not in his budget right now. Looking at the member pricing, it almost sounds better if I just join D23 so that I can get these tickets for a better price...I could get 2 3-day passes and only pay $6 more (ticket-wise) than I would for the non-member Friday and Saturday ones, and not run the risk of missing out on something.

I've been curious about D23 and it's events. I'd really like to take a tour of the Studios and Archives, for example. The magazine looks really cool to me, as do some of the free gifts that come with it (still trying to find a Submarine Voyage patch) - those only come with gold unfortunately. I suppose I could skip out on those. The silver still comes with everything else, including that neat calendar. And I'm pretty sure more events are going to be added later on...

What do you think I should do? I actually have a $50 Disney gift card, so joining is not out of the question budget-wise. But I want to know what you guys think. Is joining worth it?

• Not a Minion

Re: Contemplating Joining - Yay or Nay?

I've been a member since day 1 and haven't regretted joining. I'm due for renewal myself and plan on going on to be a member for a 3rd straight year.

The events are fantastic. Often, there's a price to it and usually requires dedication as tickets are given out on a first come first serve basis. The price itself are usually not bad. As a college student tight on funds, I've got priorities, but the $50 for the tour was well worth it, the whatever sum for the first anniversary party was awesome, the mary poppins event was one of a kind, and the various screenings on the lot are just loads of fun. On top of that, the D23 staff are fabulous and the people that attend the event are fun to mingle with - you're bound to make new friends and you never know where that can take you.

So if it were up to me, I say go for it especially since you've got that gift card. If you don't like the membership and events, you really didn't lose much and you also get discounted tickets to the expo.

As far as which membership to go for, the Gold membership has the biggest bang for the buck. You get the 4 issues which retail for a little more than $15 a piece, so that averages out to about $60 of the $74.99 you paid. Add on the gifts (which are usually very cool), you're getting your money's worth. But if you don't read much like I do, then they may settle as art pieces laying around the house.

Lastly, it's now 2011 (Happy new Year!) so the gift is now a watch rather than a calendar. Hope this helps - feel free to reply if you've got more questions

• Banned User

I think it's definitely worth it. The member gifts and archive collectibles are just fantastic and great for any Disney fan. The quarterly magazines are also great as well. A lot of detail goes into them, and the covers are always great. The magazines are filled with the latest news and usually feature behind the scenes tours of Imagineering and food recipes. As ryanvalle said, there are also events. I have never attended one, but the feedback has been great for them. I would really suggest you join.

• Banned User

If you're in So Cal or Florida and want to attend events, it's definitely worth it. Some of the events are very nice.

If you're in Kansas or Maine, I doubt it would be worth it presently.

• Disney Dork

I'll ditto that. If you're that close to headquarters you'll get a lot out of it. In my first year and I did a few events including the studio tour. Very cool. The magazine is fantastic.

This year I haven't done any events, though I'll be at the Expo. I'm in NorCal, so the Family Museum has more events I can get to regularly.

But yeah, if you live down there, I'd go for it.

• Disney Trivia God

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandtour View Post
    If you're in So Cal or Florida and want to attend events, it's definitely worth it. Some of the events are very nice.

If you're in Kansas or Maine, I doubt it would be worth it presently.
    Actually, I live in Nebraska and I still find the membership worth it.

1 - The magazines are beautiful - genuine collectors items.
    2 - The special gifts are cool - I'm looking at my D23 calendar right now, and I'm excited to get my D23 watch soon.
    3 - I like being part of the Disney "insiders" community. Yeah, I've been there before, but it's good to be back.
    4 - Although I can't make it to most of the events in SoCal or WDW, big events like the D23 Expo gives me a really good incentive to book a vacation to Anaheim.

It all comes down to what you consider to be "worth it". This will vary, depending on your location and your level of Disney obsessiveness. For me, I'm totally pleased by what I've gotten out of D23.

I live in Austria/Europe and I also think that the Gold Membership with the magazines is totally worth the money. I have to pay for shipping as well, but the Euro/Dollar exchange rate is good at the moment, and so I renewed my membership.

I can't attend any events, but I like the magazines and I think they got better and better from issue to issue. Although we plan to travel to California in 2012 and of couse we will visit Disneyland, I don't think we will be there during the EXPO.