Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Behind the Magic - D23 Writing Contest (I won!)

D23's Behind the Magic Contest!

Our friends at Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment have released three new documentary titles on DVD: The Boys: The Sherman Brothers’ Story , Walt & El Grupo and Waking Sleeping Beauty. These documentaries are available for 23 lucky D23 Members to win!

One grand prize winner will be rewarded a three-day, two-night trip to the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, CA, where they will receive signed copies of these titles and the chance to mingle with the creative teams behind these documentaries. During their adventure on the Lot, the winner will also receive a private tour.

All you have to do is imagine you are an animator on the level of some of the Disney greats. Tell us in 300 words or less, if you could have been on the production team for any Disney animated feature, which one would you have wanted to contribute to and why. Get your imagination flowing!

The Boys: The Sherman Brothers’ Story: http://www.disney.com/theboys.com
    Walt & El Grupo: http://www.disney.com/waltandelgrupo.com
    Waking Sleeping Beauty: http://www.disney.com/wakingsleepingbeauty.com

I WON!!

Congratulations, Caleb! You are one of the 23 winners in D23’s Behind the Magic Contest!

Your prizes are on the way right now. If you have not received them by Friday, April 15, please contact me back at this email address and we will track the package.

Thanks for entering, and we hope you continue to enjoy being a part of D23!

Best,

Jon Speroni
    D23 Team

Well....not quite the grand prize, haha...but at least one of the top 23 essay entries, and I'm pretty excited about that, I worked hard on it. I guess us 23 top stories get signed copies of the three movies, I beleive. Anyways, fun stuff.

Anyone else here, win?
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Behind the Magic - D23 Writing Contest (I won!)

That is awesome news. Congratulations!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    That is awesome news. Congratulations!
    Thank you, sir.

Oh, also...I just got my prize(the movies) in the mail today, exciting. The movies are all actually really good. If you haven't seen them, then do see them.

The breadbox was not part of the prize, haha. It's our nice vintage breadbox that we don't store bread in. More commonly, things like candy and snacks.
    Caleb

• Keeper of the fruit rolls

Congratulations on your win! I have been wanting to see all three of those films but haven't been able to get my hands on them just yet.
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

• Disney Trivia God

Hey, congrats! I bought the 3 films for myself for Christmas (oops, I mean that "Santa" brought them for me), and really enjoyed them all.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Congrats! I am jealous!

care to share your essay?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Congrats! I am jealous!

Yeah sure. I'm at Target right now, but I will later.

Just curious, did you enter one?
    Caleb

• Not a Minion

Congrats on the win! That's a definitely good prize pack. I didn't enjoy Walt and El Grupo too much (probably because I was too distracted) but loved Waking Sleepign Beauty and really loved The Boys: The Sherman Bros. Story

Here's my essay for the "If you were an animator." I procrastinated so it didn't turn out as whimsical as I had wanted it to. Needless to say I didn't win anything but that's okay because I already have all 3 DVD's. ;-)

The Hyperion studio was bursting at the seams during the production of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” I was one of hundreds of new animators hired to work on Walt’s first animated feature. We were all so young and so excited just to be working in the Depression. Several of us were assigned a room where we worked endless hours. Bulbs emitting light under our drafting tables grew incredibly hot that burns on our hands were common. Conversation and the exchange of ideas between us was encouraged. Everyone was expected to contribute to the picture. Pencil tests were screened inside a tiny closet appropriately called the ‘sweatbox.’ That was a terrifying experience because Walt had difficulty explaining what he wanted but he knew it immediately when he saw something he didn’t like. Although we didn’t hear ‘thanks’ very often, we gave our all to see through Walt’s vision.

Not surprisingly, we all had various styles of drawing and different art backgrounds. The model sheets drawn by the lead animators assured that the characters all looked the same but Walt was preoccupied with how they acted. The characters had to have real personalities doing real things filled with emotion and thought. We were told without these traits the audience wouldn’t believe any of it. Pathos in animation was a new concept to us but Walt was always ahead of everyone. When Grumpy broke down in tears at the sight of Snow White in slumber, we didn’t think the audience would be sobbing too. They did.

The hard work paid off with the world-premiere at the Carthay Circle theatre. There I was rubbing elbows with Hollywood’s brightest stars. While a staggering cinematic achievement, “Snow White’s” true testament is that it inspired us to believe that one man’s dream can come true.
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

Here's my essay for the "Dwarf for a Day" contest. Again, I didn't win. I'm sensing a pattern... ;-p

To compare myself to one of the legendary seven dwarfs makes me very Bashful, but I’d be awfully Dopey not to give this contest a go. (Ah-choo!!) Excuse me, I’m a bit Sneezy. If you are too, I recommend lots of rest and drink plenty of fluids. For the record, I am not a registered crock, uh, sock, uh, Doc.

Magic Mirror on the wall, who has the cleverest essay of all?

“Famed is thy writing ability. But hold, a more thought out and structured essay of 300 words or less I see. Alas, theirs is more magical than thee.”

Well there’s a fine kettle of fish! The thought of being bestowed a beautiful hand-painted cel of Snow White made me very, very Happy, but now I’m feeling a bit Grumpy... and after reading this far, you’re probably feeling Sleepy…

Alright, alright, puns aside, every dwarf characteristic is felt by me at some point or another. Aside from their obvious descriptors, they are incredibly hard workers, but they take the time for some serious and silly play! However, Doc and Grumpy are the most identifiable to me as they represent complimentary opposites. Accruing and dispensing wisdom while simultaneously being modest and humble makes for a unique leader even if you trip over a word or two. Grumpy’s world-weariness must come from a lot of observation and studying how people behave in good times and bad. So although he can be overly pessimistic, even Grumpy knows when something beautiful and full of life is no longer left to be shared. For who was crying the hardest when Snow White was in her deep sleep? Ah, mush…

By combining Doc’s inherit goodness and the rough-around-the-edges aspects of Grumpy, henceforth, I want to be known as the honorary eighth dwarf: Yin-Yang!
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

Congrats! I am jealous!

I'm finally getting around to it, sorry.

Anyways, here's me ol' essay, enjoy!

The Three Caballeros

By: Caleb Brown

When I think about which Disney animated feature I would have most liked to work on and be a part of, The Three Caballeros is definitely the first movie that comes to mind. I could never express the joy I would have felt being one of the people that helped bring this project to fruition. The inspiration for this movie is of great interest to me; the Latin American culture is very lively and full of good humor, wonderful music, fantastic dancing, and delicious food. Imagine yourself in the historical 1940s, travelling to exotic, beautiful Latin American countries sharing experiences and creating memories with none other than Walt Disney himself, a man whose imagination changed the world; how exciting that would be! It would have also been a pleasure to meet the original voice of Donald Duck, Clarence Nash, because his quirky, lovable, and sometimes impulsive character has been my favorite since childhood. José and Panchito were also hilarious, charming, and memorable characters that have left a big impression on me. It amazes me how well the animators and musicians combined the Latin beats and rhythms with the artwork to accentuate the beauty of the music, as done in the Silly Symphonies; one cannot help but to be captivated by it. When watching the film, I am always moving to the rhythm. The most innovative scene of the film that inspires me is Donald’s daydream romance sequence. This scene successfully brings together live-action and surreal animation seamlessly in a way that shows that anything is possible. There is no doubt that The Three Caballeros is an exciting adventure, and the fun and happiness shared during the making of this masterpiece would have been priceless.
    Well, there it is, hope you liked it. Congrats to the other winners, and I guess we won't be seeing Mr./Miss grand prize winner until after their Private Studio tour and lunch with the animators on April 28-30. Lucky person, you. Good job though.
    Last edited by ozmacity; 03-28-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Caleb

Well, D23 finally posted the grand prize winner of the contest. I was like 1% hoping I would get a last minute email from D23 saying like "Well, the first winner was swept up by a tornado, so...you win!" hahahahaha, no that's mean. Congratulations, Timothy Sumabat, enjoy your tour/lunch

Here's the link, if you want to read the write-up about it:

Grand Prize Winner Article
    Caleb

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ozmacity View Post
    Yeah sure. I'm at Target right now, but I will later.

Just curious, did you enter one?
    I didn't... didn't even know about this contest!!

Quote Originally Posted by ozmacity View Post
    I'm finally getting around to it, sorry.

Anyways, here's me ol' essay, enjoy!
    Great job!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I didn't... didn't even know about this contest!!

Great job!!
    Thanks, it'd be nice to read the other essays though, too.
    Caleb

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skybluefusion View Post
    Congratulations on your win! I have been wanting to see all three of those films but haven't been able to get my hands on them just yet.
    Netflicks has 2 of them on Instant Watch and you can then rent the last one....only 8.99

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast