Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Why D23 Still Isn't For Me

I do love Disney, but it still doesn't mean I'll join the club. Why? Because, for starters, there are more "clubs" online than I can shake a stick at -- where I get news, rumors, un-filtered opinion, and can actually participate in the community. D23 could lead the way in building a global community of Disney fans, with a website that only they can access, which offers them information, content (photos and videos), and opportunities they can get ONLY there and nowhere else. But Disney hasn't done that, despite allegedly being so sophisticated with technology.

There could be easy benefits to being a D23 Online Member -- having all of my annual passholder information in one place, tracking my visits to Disneyland and Walt Disney World (even if I had to enter it manually), allowing me to create my own Disney-related photo albums, working with Apple to allow me to upload my ipad created art into a gallery. It could go further; with a single log-in, I could get preferential seating to restaurants, I could get my room requests heard by those who might do something about it; and for good or bad, I might even have a way to vent my complaints (and share my compliments) in a forum that matters.

I could learn about upcoming events (Disney-sanctioned AND non-Disney-sanctioned) that promote the history and legacy of Walt Disney.

In one place, I could track all of the Disney events happening in my area. (Where my local Disney stores are, when Beauty and the Beast's touring company is playing near me, etc.)

But none of this happens. In short, Disney could have one of the most amazing loyalty programs online, and to require $79 a year to buy into it would hardly seem a steep fee. Everything, from Disney visa points to my annual visits, could be tracked ... and I'd give Disney access to this information FOR FREE. So, Disney gets something out of it, too.

The alleged "remote Fastpass" program could be rolled out specifically to D23 members, who would also get notification of other events happening. In other words, it could be a coordinated marketing program for all of Disney.

But we all know Disney's management works in rigid silos and don't like ANYONE treading on their turf, so these things CAN'T happen.

Instead, we have some cheesy member events held a few times a year. There are only so many times I need to go to the Disney Studio theater or do a "meet and greet" with D23 in Chicago, or whatnot. Those events hold ABSOLUTELY no interest to me, and probably not to the majority of D23 members. But D23 continues to do them for reasons that make absolutely no sense.

Anyway, all Disney needs to do, really, is launch a BETTER WEBSITE that clearly communicates the values to D23 membership, ESPECIALLY in an Expo year. A $79 membership gets you:

* A quarterly magazine, each of which comes with a beautiful Disney gift ($80 value including the gift)
    * Discounts to tickets for the D23 Expo, the most magical gathering of all things Disney you could possibly imagine, including all panels, presentations and special events (up to $200 in savings)
    * A private, D23 members-only website where you can meet other Disney fans and build communities while learning more than you ever imagined about Disney's past, present and future (no dollar value, but it would be ONLY for D23 members)
    * 10% off select retail locations in the U.S. and in Downtown Disney Anaheim ($40-$80 value, depending on spending)

So, for a $79 membership fee (less than the cost of one day at a park), you'll save more than $400 a year ... and you'll get the flagship D23 magazine.

Why can't D23 make it this easy to communicate a marketing message?

But for now, I have a website that updates a couple of times a week with watered-down versions of stories I've read elsewhere; no actual feedback/community section; and events that cost an additional $150-$300 to attend that I don't have any interest in.

If they want ONLY to get the 10,000 or however many members they have, then that's great. They're doing the right thing. If they want to GROW this ... why aren't they actually engaging in marketing? I haven't seen ads on Disney Channel or on ABC Family, or seen an ad run in FamilyFun, or even seen anything at Disneyland except for a window hidden away in the Californian hotel. They market this thing like they really don't care. So, I really don't care.

I think the magazine is getting better and better with each issue. (Still too fluffy, but what can you expect? It is a Disney shillpiece, after all.) Looks beautiful, has interesting articles, looks good on my coffee table. For that and that alone, I will renew my membership.

That said, D23 still isn't for me ... it's not good enough. Of course, they have my $79 now, so what difference does it make to them, I guess?

It is just a shame to think about what D23 COULD BE.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Why D23 Still Isn't For Me

If it was 40-50 bucks a yeah then I would join for the Magazine and other small Free stuff you get...but for the price now its not worth it for me either....maybe one day

Hmm...that was a lot of writing to miss the key fact that the silver membership is only 34.99, haha. Only difference is it doesn't come with the magazine. I happen to enjoy my membership very much and think the events so far have been amazing.
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by ozmacity View Post
    Hmm...that was a lot of writing to miss the key fact that the silver membership is only 34.99, haha. Only difference is it doesn't come with the magazine. I happen to enjoy my membership very much and think the events so far have been amazing.
    No reason to be confused. It's not for everyone to join, and look at the upside, the few people that sign up the better the chance we have to get event tickets.

But, I agree the events I've been at have been great!

I'm confused.. you start off talking about why it isn't for you and you won't "join the club" then you end by saying you are going to renew because the mags look good on your coffee table

Personally the only real reason I renew is for the magazines which I really enjoy. It is true that alot of the "info" given out can be found elsewhere online and for free including access to their own website. The membership really doesn't carry perks if that is what you think you are missing out on, unless you have the opporitunity to attend a hosted event or want to buy some way overpriced exclusive merchandise that they think we should gobble up cause we're fans. But like I said the magazine alone makes the membership worth it for me.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ozmacity View Post
    Agreed. I love my membership and just renewed for a third year. I enjoy the events a lot and look forward to attending them (more Disneyland events please?)

Are there areas where they can improve upon? Sure, but on their third year, I think they are doing a great job in listening to what the members want and working to do something about it. Members wanted a cheaper membership price point and a way for families to attend events so they came out with the silver membership. We wanted earlier notifications of events for planning, and they announced their events much much earlier now.

So far, I applaud D23 for their work and would love to see what they can do for the future (speaking of future: Little Mermaid, Star Tours, and Soundsational is opening soon. Some events relating to these would be super awesome)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    (more Disneyland events please?)
    Definitely, I wishwishwish I'd had gotten to go to that Disneyland Fantasyland event where they closed the park for D23 members, gosh...If I'd only been aware.

(speaking of future: Little Mermaid, Star Tours, and Soundsational is opening soon. Some events relating to these would be super awesome)
    Fo'sho. Hope they do an exclusive opening for D23 members. I bet reservations would sell out in less than a minute, haha. I would literally stop my class(I'm a teacher) to make sure I got on, if it was during class time.
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

• Not a Minion

Haha I'm doubtful of an exclusive opening, but I'm hearing rumors that they are ahead of schedule, so if they finish early, giving d23 members a preview slot with maybe some imagineers panels would be fun or seeing if they can get some admission slots for d23 members to attend the press event.

For world of color, I know Disney park blogs did a twitter thing where they selected 25 people to go to the world premiere. Perhaps if d23 did a similar thing would be awesome. I hope they avoid the email system because that isn't very fair since emails get sent at different paces, spam filters could block some entries, while others with smartphones have the upper advantage since they can email anytime they want.

Of course, if it were up to me, I think d23 should send an invite to day 1 charter members who are still active to get the upper hand in attending such an event only because I fall in such a category .

15 minutes from the park that started it all

So far I'm happy with my membership.
    The watch has made it through a drier cycle and didn't break, the magazines are high quality and have interesting articles (maybe they could ditch the playhouse Disney..) and i'm hoping that the events will be great.
    We have 2 tickets to the April 30th tour of the Walt Disney Studios, so we'll see how that goes
    Although, I do see what you're getting to..

Haha I'm doubtful of an exclusive opening, but I'm hearing rumors that they are ahead of schedule, so if they finish early, giving d23 members a preview slot with maybe some imagineers panels would be fun or seeing if they can get some admission slots for d23 members to attend the press event.

For world of color, I know Disney park blogs did a twitter thing where they selected 25 people to go to the world premiere. Perhaps if d23 did a similar thing would be awesome. I hope they avoid the email system because that isn't very fair since emails get sent at different paces, spam filters could block some entries, while others with smartphones have the upper advantage since they can email anytime they want.

Of course, if it were up to me, I think d23 should send an invite to day 1 charter members who are still active to get the upper hand in attending such an event only because I fall in such a category .
    Me too! I wish I could make more events but am very happy with the ones I've been able to attend. Sure, they could do more and maybe they will in the future if D23 continues.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

About the same time that D23 came on board, Disney started giving up on the WDCC which had been around for almost 20 years. And I would have continued with WDCC. For me it was a better bargain than what the D23 Magazine offer.

The Disney Magazine, had been around for decades, and I paid for a subscription to that magazine before I even got a DL AP, which included a free year of the Disney Magazine. Even when I paid for a separate subscription to the Disney Magazine, it was a better bargain, and included more information in an easier to use and read format than the D23 magazine. Sure D23 looks pretty, but it looks too pretty to touch. Whereas the Disney Magazine was a much friendlier looking magazine. Not to mention it was given to all DL Hotel guests. Even though the Disney Magaine had several ads, I was more excited to get that quarterly magazine and read the entire thing, than the D23 magazine. There just seemed to be more info in that older magazine, than the too fancy D23. And

I just don't get the value of the D23 magazine, sorry to say. Wish I would like it better than I do, but it just doesn't appeal that well, to this Disney Fanatic. Who knows, maybe in another 5 or 10 years, they will quit with d23 and try something new, . . . . again . . . . .

• "CA - CA! RAWRRR!"

I'm still undecided about getting a D23 membership. I guess when its the right time and everything clicks is when I'll get one.

• no flash photography...

it wasn't for me either. I joined the first year. I thought it sucked. I did not care about the magazines. They are still in the boxes they came in and I did not renew. It's not for everyone....

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    it wasn't for me either. I joined the first year. I thought it sucked. I did not care about the magazines. They are still in the boxes they came in and I did not renew. It's not for everyone....
    I guess I can't understand how anyone can make such a judgment when you haven't even opened the magazines? That is such a big part of D23. Also there were several extra surprises included in the issues for a limited number of fans. You never know, you could have been one of the lucky ones.

Blog Entries

I waited a year to see what would happen and then joined and I am glad I did. I have been to a couple of the 50 and Fabulous screenings, other screenings (Tangled and Secretariat), the studio tour and the D23 anniversary party and they were all awesome! I get the membership without the magazine so it is well worth the value.

I guess just like everything else in life, everything is not for everyone. Don't join if you don't think you will benefit from it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast