Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Disney Twenty-Three Magazine - Summer Issue Info

Pirates, Star Tours, Marvel and more in the Summer issue of Disney Twenty-Three Magazine. Here's the release that D23 just sent out with the details:

Image Copyright Disney

Behind the Scenes on Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    with Scoop from Director Rob Marshall, Geoffrey Rush,
    Ian McShane and Richard Griffiths;
    Exclusive Interview with George Lucas on Reimagining Star Tours
    And a Sit Down with Stan Lee on Marvel’s Move to Disney

BURBANK, Calif. – April 20, 2011 – The summer issue of Disney twenty-three magazine hits stands May 3, filled with features that will take readers from the depths of the sea to the edges of outer space. In the swashbuckling cover story on Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, director Rob Marshall and actors Geoffrey Rush, Ian McShane and Richard Griffiths take D23: The Official Disney Fan Club into the action-packed world of the highly anticipated film.

The piece gives readers the inside scoop on Captain Jack Sparrow’s latest adventure with an eight-page spread of gorgeousimages from the film and fascinating nuggets from the set. Readers will discover what select cast and crew have to say about Johnny Depp returning to his iconic role; learn what inspired the screenwriting team behind the earlier Pirates films as they reunited to lace together legends of the fearsome Blackbeard, the Fountain of Youth and sirens of the sea; and uncover why director Rob Marshall says of the 106 days of shooting: “You’re undergoing your own adventure as you’refilming one.”

Disneytwenty-three’s summer issue also includes an exclusive interview with George Lucas, the force behind Star Wars and Indiana Jones, discussing his participation in the various park attractions inspired by his films. Readers can expect to be immersed in the creative process as Disney twenty-threereveals multiple concepts for rides that were never made. More specifically, readers will be privy to the unique brainstorm that brewed the new Star Tours ride and learn about a distinctive new twist in the experience.

In “What a MARVELous World!,” Stan Lee talks about his excitement to be working with Disney Imagineers. “It’s great for Marvel to have access to Disney’s brains, because they’re pretty smart, and it’s great for Disney to have all these characters,with their built-in audience. It’s one of the wisest things that either company could have done.” Readers will also find a comprehensive look at Stan’s history that might well serve as a Marvel 101 class. The article’s glimpse into future plans for this historic team-up shows why Disney, Marvel and fans alike are looking forward to super hero-sized results.

Just in time for summer road trips, John Lasseterintroduces readers to Cars 2, in which Lightning McQueen, Mater, and a whole fleet of new characters race across the country on an international adventure. In true Pixar fashion, Cars 2 will zoom to the big screen alongside the brand new animated short Hawaiian Vacation featuring characters from the Toy Story films. This issue also celebrates Walt Disney’s own motor mania with a look back at some of Walt’s personal cars as well as a few favorites that have played special roles in Disney history.

There’s much more in the summer issue of Disney twenty-three, including:

THAT WILLY NILLY SILLY NEW BEAR: Voice actor extraordinaire Jim Cummings is a natural when it comes to voicing Winnie the Pooh. He’s been doing it ever since he was a kid and is adding to his resume with the upcoming Winnie the Pooh movie.
    JUSTICE FOR ALL: Disney Legend Bill Justice, who passed away in February, left a big imprint at Disney working on projects ranging from Bambi and Mary Poppins to the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland.
    ARIEL’S TRIUMPHANT RETURN: Legendary Disney animators Glen Keane, Mark Henn and Andreas Deja see their characters come to life in 3D at The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, coming soon to Disney California Adventure.
    PASSING THE TIKI TORCH: From the Enchanted Tiki Room to the blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean films, the work of two laid-back Southern California craftsmen is carved into Disney lore.
    A WALK WITH WALT 1940: WISHING UPON A STAR: The first year of the new decade saw creative and celebrated breakthroughs, including the release of Fantasia. But there were storm clouds on the horizon.
    D SOCIETY: Disney President and CEO Bob Iger takes to the skies to photograph the Disney Dream, John Stamos and the Massey brothers get onboard, and Super Bowl champ AaronRodgers visits Walt Disney World.
    PHOTOfiles: Disney twenty-three’s 10th installment of rare pictures from the Disney Photo Library shows Walt embracing Audio-Animatronicsat the Enchanted Tiki Room, Sean Connery “bonding” with Autopia, and Daryl Hannah making a big splash!
    GOOD MOUSEKEEPING: Now in each issue of Disney twenty-three, this new column features classic Disney comics originally published in the 1930s and early 1940s in Good Housekeeping magazine. This month’s featured cartoon is from July 1937 and portrays the trio thatsailed off in a wooden shoe: Wynken, Blynken and Nod.

And there’s even more for Disney fans to explore. As with every issue of Disney twenty-three, Members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club receive an added bonus. This issue comes with one of two scented Cars 2 air fresheners featuring either racing star Lightning McQueen or his devoted best pal Mater. These limited-edition gifts will be sent only to members.

Beginning May 3, Disney twenty-three is available at select retail locations for $15.95.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 04-20-2011 at 08:08 AM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Re: Disney Twenty-Three Magazine - Summer Issue Info

I just can't get excited for this Magazine. I try really hard to like D23 but it has just been very mediocre over the past few years. I wonder how the sale of the magazine and fan club are doing?

• Tomorrow's Child

Sounds like another good issue to me. Looking forward to it hitting the doormat.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• 秘密のヘルツ

Quote Originally Posted by Homan View Post
    I just can't get excited for this Magazine. I try really hard to like D23 but it has just been very mediocre over the past few years. I wonder how the sale of the magazine and fan club are doing?
    The magazine's the best part of the fan club if you don't live in Southern California (which I didn't the first year I had a membership). Even now that I live here I miss out on most events. Without the magazine I wouldn't even bother being a member.

Anybody know when this should be hitting doormats? I'm a bit paranoid since I went through a giant fiasco with getting my Spring 2010 issue last year. Due to the timing of my renewal, it took me MONTHS and about a dozen emails with customer service to get it. And I just renewed at the end of March, so I'm worried all over again.

^^I got mine in the mail yesterday.
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

15 minutes from the park that started it all

^ Yes, mine came on Monday

I was wondering also if others had received the magazine. As of today, I have not received mine. I went through a nightmare after renewing for 2011. It took almost 2 months after renewing before I received the spring issue and the other member gifts. The summer issue was out at retailers on May 3. I thought D23 members were supposed to recieve their copy before they are available to the general public?

I live in Europe, but I received the magazine on time on Tuesday. Renewing always causes a lot of troubles. When I renewed after the last fall issue, it took more than two months and a lot of emails to get the winter issue. Actually I received it after the spring issue.

• You have much to learn...

I received mine this past Wednesday- but I know that renewal times always seem to be a problem- I had tons of trouble and several emails last year- I was actually surprised I haven't had an incident this year yet.

I never figured out how they do their mailings since sometimes my friend receives his a week or two before I get mine & this time around, I seem to be getting my issues earlier & he hasn't gotten his.

This issue I got the Lightning McQueen mirror hanger & my friend got Mater

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I have reasons to believe my issue has also arrived. Unfortunately no one bothered to knock on the door and posted a slip telling me I can't pick it up until Tuesday.

I did not get mine. Went to the book store and they are selling it already.

• Tomorrow's Child

Mine arrived Saturday but the Royal Mail decided they wanted to keep it until today as they couldn't fit it through the letter box.

Disappointed to find the "this is your last issue" slip inside - no warning before that, and it seems to come around way to quick.

As for the issue, started off a little disappointed but once I got further in I found it better. Nice article on Pirates and what looks like a great piece about Marvel. Nice to see they're been treated as part of the family.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Jessie: exuberent & fun!!

I've only seen a few of the covers. I want one, preferably (of course) the one from last year w/ Jessie on it. However, I still haven't convinced my "I-think-I'll-buy-a-Queasafart-food-processer-instead-of-what-my-daughter-wants" parents to get a membership (or a used one from Ebay.).
    Jessie is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fav part in 2 is:
    Buzz: clears throat)
    I just wanted to say you're a bright young woman with a beautiful "yarnful" of hair... er, "hairful" of yarn. It's...uh...woah. (clears throat) I must go!
    Jessie: Well, aren't you the sweetest space toy I ever met!
    Buster: (barking)
    Slinky: What's that? Bark, bark? Uh...this fellow says he needs to go out back for a little "private time"!
    Jessie: That critter needs help! (jumps on toy car) Yodle-ay-HEEE-HOOO!!!!!
    Buzz: (wings suddenly pop open)

Also, my fav part in 3 is:
    Jessie: turns on Spanish music)
    Buzz: involenterily starts dancing) I...I don't know what came over me!
    Jessie: goo-goo eyes) Just go with it, Buzz!
    (Then, they start doing the Paso Doble to a Spanish version of "You've Got a Friend in Me". Towards the end of the dance, Woody tosses Jessie a rose to catch in her mouth. It's awesome.)

Go to the EBHO threads!!! They need YOU!

• Jessie: exuberent & fun!!

Wait...what do they mean exactly by "select retail locations"?
    Jessie is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fav part in 2 is:
    Buzz: clears throat)
    I just wanted to say you're a bright young woman with a beautiful "yarnful" of hair... er, "hairful" of yarn. It's...uh...woah. (clears throat) I must go!
    Jessie: Well, aren't you the sweetest space toy I ever met!
    Buster: (barking)
    Slinky: What's that? Bark, bark? Uh...this fellow says he needs to go out back for a little "private time"!
    Jessie: That critter needs help! (jumps on toy car) Yodle-ay-HEEE-HOOO!!!!!
    Buzz: (wings suddenly pop open)

Also, my fav part in 3 is:
    Jessie: turns on Spanish music)
    Buzz: involenterily starts dancing) I...I don't know what came over me!
    Jessie: goo-goo eyes) Just go with it, Buzz!
    (Then, they start doing the Paso Doble to a Spanish version of "You've Got a Friend in Me". Towards the end of the dance, Woody tosses Jessie a rose to catch in her mouth. It's awesome.)

Go to the EBHO threads!!! They need YOU!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast