Studio Tour Trip Report!

Today my buddy Sean and I took part in the 1230pm studio tour. This was my second tour of the studio and Sean's first. Pictures from last year's tour are around here somewhere if you want to take a gander as well. Last year's scene was a bit chaotic with a lot of guests milling around before their tour departed. Today, the scene was downright serene and orderly! Once again, we signed in at the Hyperion Bungalow:

Our guide today was Billy who went from working at Disneyland to Corporate Communications. Among his duties are running the sites for the D23 Expo and the regular D23 site. Look for an article he wrote about the upcoming Muppet movie in the Disney twenty-three magazine.

Here are some views before we took off walking the grounds!

We passed by the Commissary and stopped for pictures at Pluto's Corner. Next up was an outside look of the Studio Theatre before we headed into the legendary Animation building.

Unlike last year, we were not allowed to take photos inside the hallway which was lined with concept art and cells.

We then headed into the basement and underground via the RAMP to Ink and Paint (aka "The Nunnery"). Here's an area where the nuns, I mean, ladies of Ink and Paint would take a break:

We then headed down to the "Shorts" building from the Hyperion lot. This building is where the Silly Symphonies and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs were animated.

Most of us exited the building via the stairs but some did use the RAMP.

On the previous tour, Stage 3 was available for the tour. This stage is where they filmed the squid attack for 20000 Leagues Under the Sea. Today Stage 2 was available!

It's also known as the Julie Andrews Stage for very good reasons!

I don't get chills very often, but to be inside the stage where Mary Poppins was filmed did it! Amazing!

Incidentally, the Mark Twain was built inside this stage before it was sent off for installation at Disneyland.

You might have seen the short the Old Mill. This is the New Mill... (You may never hear this joke on Billy's tour again!)

The most magical part of the tour: Trash. Note to the right: RAMP (okay, RAMP is a joke you'll only appreciate if you were on this tour! That hilarity may never be repeated again. You had to be there!)

This building is widely regarded as the birthplace of Imagineering. It's here Roger Broggie and Walt began planning and building Disneyland.

Next up was a visit to the Archives with special guest Dave Smith! Here are the opening day invitation, parking pass and ticket #1 bought by Roy Disney.

Next up was a visit to Legend's Plaza.

New to me was a brief stop at Team Disney!

Unfortunately the Studio Store was not open for business. Oh, well, that will keep a few more dollars in my wallet! ;-) It was a truly beautiful day to tour this most historic lot. By all means, I highly recommend taking this tour!
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

Re: Studio Tour Trip Report!

Hello again.

I was on the tour yesterday too. I probably saw you, because I was the group after you, the 1:30 tour, and I remember your group leaving the archives building.

Anyways, most of my pictures are very similar to yours, I won't vainly create my own thread to showcase all of mine, I'll just add some pictures not on this report, if you don't mind.

It was a wonderful day, wasn't it?
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

Add away! Who was your guide?
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

-Pete Townshend

Quote Originally Posted by GapToothed View Post
    Add away! Who was your guide?
    Rick. White hair, works in the archives. Really great guide. And I got the whole "mill" thing too, ha. Great tour, but we had this lady in our group that was so weird and creepy. She kept saying the most inappropriate things at awkward times and interrupted Dave Smith. Anyways, I video'd Mr. Smith if you want to see it, he was talking about the First day tickets/parking pass, and the oscar.
    Caleb

• I'm wishing

[/IMG][/IMG]I was on the 12:30pm tour with Billy as well!!

And I was the one that noticed that there was a ramp next to the trash...we had a Twofer!!

Billy made me appreciate ramps in a whole new way. I agree it was a very fun tour!!

BTW, I was trying to add some pics to your trip report too, but could not figure out how to do so...seems like it should be simple, but I tried first from my computer, then from photobucket and couldn't get either one to work.
    Last edited by JulieMouse; 05-02-2011 at 12:31 PM.

15 minutes from the park that started it all

We were there.. 10am tour, and it was a blast.
    Dave was great, and the tour in itself was spectacular
    Nice trip report btw

Thanks for the great pictures! Living in California and being a member of D23 must be great. I'm also a D23 member, but I live in Europe and so it's really hard to attend any events.

Finally getting around to it...

Anyways, here's some extra pictures from the day:

Looks like the studio keeps up their flora just as well as in the parks:

Very cool security vehicles:

Our group:

The classic dwarfs:

The hidden mouse, Gus(Octavius), very hard to find, it was in the statue amongst the legends:

Still wish I was apart of this credit union:

Me posing with Disney legend, Dave Smith of the archives:

One of my personal favorites, there...the magic bed knob from "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" and the Isle of Naboombu book:

My wife and I posing with one of Walt's many Oscars:

Roy's ticket, first ticket ever issued for Disneyland...very nice:

Very cool sign for the Wells building:

Randomly got a shot of the infamous "Chuck", the beloved security guard (to the right):

Some of the sets where ABC shows are filmed:

Dave Smith, during his speech about the archives:

The entrance to the sound stage where Mary Poppins and Pirates were filmed, as well as the construction of the Mark Twain:

I wish this sewer manhole covering was on my street:

Had to pose with the Dharma Initiative work suits, being a huge LOST fan and all, ha:

The theatre where, as of late, the 50 and Fabulous screenings have taken place:

Pluto's corner (right below the street sign for Dopey Drive and Mickey Avenue):

Interesting fact on the tour...I guess part of Pete's Dragon was filmed in front of the Hollywood Hills here (despite the fact that the movie is set in coastal Maine, haha), because they were running out of funds and had to shoot it right off the studio lot to finish:

Anyways, hope you enjoyed these extra photos from the 1:30 tour.
    Caleb

Thanks for the great pictures? Does Disney only offer D23 tours through the Studios, or is it possible for tourists to see the Studios as well?

4 times a year through D23. Also, if you collect 15000 points on the Disney Movie Rewards site, you can take a tour!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

-Pete Townshend

• Refugee from a island

Thanks for the pictures guys... Brought back really fond memories of my tour with my daughter last August. The pics inside the soundstage were nice, we didn't get to go inside on our tour, as they were all in use.

Ozmacity, thanks for the picture of Gus Gus, my camera broke just before the tour, so none of my pictures turned out. I was going to ask if your TG's pointed out the hidden mouse on the Legends Statue?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    Thanks for the pictures guys... Brought back really fond memories of my tour with my daughter last August. The pics inside the soundstage were nice, we didn't get to go inside on our tour, as they were all in use.

Ozmacity, thanks for the picture of Gus Gus, my camera broke just before the tour, so none of my pictures turned out. I was going to ask if your TG's pointed out the hidden mouse on the Legends Statue?
    You're welcome. He was so hard to find, way up in there. I'm glad my camera was competent enough. All our Tour Guide said was, "Can anyone find the hidden mouse?" ha
    Caleb

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by ozmacity View Post
    You're welcome. He was so hard to find, way up in there. I'm glad my camera was competent enough. All our Tour Guide said was, "Can anyone find the hidden mouse?" ha
    Yup, and yeah the Tour Guide don't actually point it out, just tell you to see if you can find it. I was the only one in my group that found him. I also had the opportunity to tell the group something our Tour Guide, Laura didn't know. During the early filming on Darby O'Gill, the Studio was responsible for browning out the entire city of Burbank one Morning. Thank you WDFM for that little tidbit.