Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    •   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,484

    Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    D23 Expo: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event


    JODI BENSON is an acclaimed voice actress and soprano singer who provided both the singing and speaking voices for Disney's Princess Ariel in The Little Mermaid and its sequels. For more than 20 years, Benson has voiced Ariel in film, television, video games, toys and at Disney Parks. She also starred as Sam in Disney's Enchanted and voiced Barbie in the hit Disney·Pixar films Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3, plus Weebo in the film comedy Flubber.


    BARTON "BO" BOYD
    began his career at Disney 1968 as an Assistant Merchandise Supervisor at Disneyland. Continually advancing over the course of his 33-years with the company, Boyd was an integral part of the team creating merchandise specifically for Disneyland and Walt Disney World. In 1997, he was named Chairman of Disney Consumer Products where he oversaw such initiatives as Licensed Merchandise, Walt Disney Records, Hyperion Press, the entire line of Disney magazine products, Disney Catalog, Disney Interactive for computer games and educational software, ESPN — The Store, Walt Disney Classics Collection, Walt Disney Collectors Society and the establishment of the first Disney Store outside the grounds of the Disney Parks.


    JIM HENSON
    , an Emmy® Award-winning television producer and Oscar®-nominated film director, was an American puppeteer and the creator of global phenomenon, The Muppets. The cross-cultural appeal of The Muppets propelled television shows like Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, and Fraggle Rock to new heights. The success of these series led Henson to explore feature films including The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper and The Muppets Take Manhattan, as well as the technologically ground-breaking fantasy classics The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. The Muppet legacy continued with popular Disney films such as The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island, as well as the upcoming The Muppets, premiering this November.



    LINDA LARKIN is a celebrated actress and popular voice performer best known for providing the voice of Princess Jasmine in the Disney animated feature Aladdin, its sequels, spin-offs and television specials. She has also been vocally featured in the Disney animated television series House of Mouse and the popular Kingdom Hearts video game.


    PAIGE O'HARA
    is a Broadway actress and singer best known for providing the voice of Belle in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, its sequels, series and games. She also starred as Angela in the Disney film hit Enchanted. O'Hara has also been vocally featured in the Disney videogame Kingdom Hearts and as Belle on the 64th Annual Academy Awards®.


    REGIS PHILBIN
    is an Emmy Award-winning, cultural icon who has entertained millions of people through talk shows, game shows, books and albums for more than 50 years. For the past 23 years, Americans have woken up to Philbin, thanks to the nationally syndicated hit talk show LIVE! with Regis and Kelly, which originated in 1983 when Philbin created The Morning Show for WABC in New York. In addition to his daytime success, Philbin launched ABC's Who Wants To Be A Millionaire into a primetime powerhouse and hosted a variety of shows including NBC's America's Got Talent, CBS' Million Dollar Password, and the 37th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards.

    JACK AND BONITA WRATHER
    struck a deal with their friend Walt Disney in 1954 to build a luxury family hotel on property adjacent to Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Ground was broken on March 18, 1955, and the hotel opened six and a half months later — 104 rooms in five two-story buildings at a starting room rate of $15. The Disneyland Hotel, originally conceived as simply lodging, presaged future developments in how Americans entertained themselves, pioneering, as Jack's son Chris wrote, "new forms of dining as entertainment, shopping as entertainment and the use of a waterfront setting" in an urban environment. The Disneyland Hotel has since played host to kings, queens, presidents, entertainment and sports legends and families from around the world.


    ANIKA NONI ROSE
    is a renowned actress and singer who provided the voice of Princess Tiana in Disney's The Princess and the Frog. In addition, some of her Broadway, television and film credits include her Tony® Award-winning performance in Caroline, or Change, the blockbuster feature film Dreamgirls, and television series including The Starter Wife and The Good Wife.


    LEA SALONGA
    is a celebrated actress and singer who provided the singing voice for two Disney Princesses: Jasmine in Aladdin, and Fa Mulan in Mulan and Mulan II. In addition to her recording and television career, Salonga's vast Broadway credits are highlighted by her performance as Kim in Miss Saigon which garnered her numerous awards including a Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critics' Circle and Theater World Awards.


    RAY WATSON
    was President of The Irvine Company when he was asked to join the Board of Directors for Walt Disney Productions in 1973. Watson's early tenure on the Board saw the expansion of Walt Disney World, the 1976 opening of River Country — Disney's first water park, and the opening of EPCOT Center, in 1982, which at a cost of $1 billion was the largest private land development project ever at that time. In 1983, Watson was elected as Chairman of the Board and after stepping down as chairman 1984, remained on the Board until he retired in 2004 after serving the Company for 30 years and establishing a worldwide reputation as a real estate development visionary.


    GUY WILLIAMS
    was an acclaimed actor who starred in the hit Disney television series Zorro and two feature films, The Sign of Zorro and Zorro the Avenger. Williams' charming portrayal of Zorro helped galvanized the character in the public's imagination and made the series a favorite among the Baby Boomer generation and beyond. His other popular television credits include the hit series Bonanza and Lost in Space.
    Each honoree receives a two-foot-tall bronze Disney Legends sculpture that signifies the imagination, creativity and magic they have brought to the Company. Disney Legends Award recipients also participate in a handprint ceremony, and their bronzed prints will be displayed in the Disney Legends Plaza at the Company's Burbank headquarters.
    I agree with every one of these additions except Anika Nani Rose, heck if they are going into induct her why dont they induct Mandy Moore Rapunzel grossed much more than PATF... Certainly somemone else within the disney company has had a far larger impact than Anika Nani Rose. Dont get me wrong she has a great voice but Princess and the frog did not have a large impact on the disney company .....

    What are your thoughts?


  2. #2

    • Disneyland PAP
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Harbor City, CA
    Posts
    1,298

    Re: Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    I was surprised too by Rose's appearance on the list, lighttragic. Is it a coincidence that so many actresses who've voiced Disney princesses in the past twenty years are being inducted? If not, then she obviously just made the cut. No diss to her talent and contribution, but it is a surprise. The rest sound like thoughtfully appropriate inductees. That Bo sounds like he had a dream life for a Disney fan like me. Looking forward to being there for the ceremony! Congrats to all!

  3. #3

    • Disney Trivia God
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    Posts
    242

    Re: Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    It might be that Mandy Moore either turned down the award when offered, or wasn't available to attend the ceremony. (I don't know for sure - just a guess.)

  4. #4

    •   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,484

    Re: Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    I was surprised too by Rose's appearance on the list, lighttragic. Is it a coincidence that so many actresses who've voiced Disney princesses in the past twenty years are being inducted? If not, then she obviously just made the cut. No diss to her talent and contribution, but it is a surprise. The rest sound like thoughtfully appropriate inductees. That Bo sounds like he had a dream life for a Disney fan like me. Looking forward to being there for the ceremony! Congrats to all!
    I dont diss her talent or contribution I am just think other people might be out there that have contributed more to the company. I think since she was lumped in with all the princesses over the past twenty years she got a free pass to be a disney Legend but all the other princess seemed to have done more for the company in terms of sequels, theme parks etc... I would think they would have a recency rule like hall of fames do . Five years maybe like baseball.


  5. #5

    • "I don't like the color"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,977

    Re: Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    I have a few qualms with the list as well:

    1) Anika Noni Rose - Disney LEGEND? Really???

    2) Regis Philbin - Disney LEGEND? Really???

    3) Jim Henson - A legend for sure but DISNEY legend? Really???

    I could go on. The only real Disney Legends in the list IMO are:

    1) Bo Boyd
    2) Ray Watson
    3) Guy Williams
    4) Jack and Bonita Wrather

    Who the "HE double toothpicks" came up with this list?? The Disney Legend award has become so watered down it's almost funny. If Marc Davis or Ward Kimball were still with us how do you think they would feel being mentioned in the same breath as Anika Noni Rose??? Come on, she voiced ONE movie for Disney.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Dimas
    Posts
    615
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    I am very disappointed with this list and bummed that this is who we will see become legends the one year I might actually be there for the ceremony.

  7. #7

    • My turn
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    so close and yet so far...
    Posts
    360

    Re: Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post

    If Marc Davis or Ward Kimball were still with us how do you think they would feel being mentioned in the same breath as Anika Noni Rose??? Come on, she voiced ONE movie for Disney.....
    So have the voices of the other Disney Princesses.

    Actually a number of Legends have only had one significant contribution or number of small contributions with Disney. For example, off the top of my head, Robin Williams, Tim Allen, the Golden Girls, David Tomlinson (Mary Poppins and Bedknobs & Broomsticks), and Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber (Jane and Michael Banks).

    That aside, I agree. I'm not saying any on the list nor those already inaugurated that fall into the category don't deserve it. But if those with smaller or single contributions can be inaugurated, others who have done larger or more than one should be too. In my case, I'm wondering when Eleanor Audley (Lady Tremaine, Maleficent, Madame Leota's voice) will get hers.

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,084

    Re: Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    Hooray for Guy Williams -- an honor way overdue (and congratulations to his family).

    But there are still so many important talents from the Walt Disney era that have not received the honor, including:

    Bobby Driscoll
    Eyvind Earle
    Ed Wynn
    James Baskett
    Brian Keith
    James MacArthur (what a shame he was not honored before his untimely death last year)
    Clyde Geronomi
    Darlene Gillespie
    Eleanor Audley
    Bill Thompson
    Verna Felton
    Phil Harris
    Barbara Luddy
    Sebastian Cabot
    Janet Munro
    Evelyn Kennedy
    James Neilsen
    Patrick McGoohan
    Lesley Ann Warren
    John Davidson
    Walter Brennan
    Luana Patten
    Hans Conreid
    Helene Stanley
    etc.

  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,084

    Re: Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    >>...David Tomlinson (Mary Poppins and Bedknobs & Broomsticks)...<<

    Also The Love Bug.

  10. #10

    • jonyyeh
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    128

    Re: Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    Regis Philbin would be a Disney Legend based on his long years at WABC-TV hosting Live (which he is retiring this year), hosting Millionaire, and probably most significantly (Disney wise) being involved with the Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade from the beginning up until about two years ago. I think he deserves it, as it recognizes services across the Walt Disney Company, not just the traditional Disney divisions.

    Jim Henson worked with Disney on MuppetVision 3D and would have sold the company to Disney had he not died untimely. Also, his company produced two Muppet movies with Disney in the 90s after his death. I guess the honor is more to honor him for the creation of the Muppets (since the new Muppet movie is coming out).

    Anika Noni Rose - It may be early to name her, but she was eventually going to get the award sooner or later. Phil Collins was named a Disney Legend in 2002 (before Brother Bear came out in 2003, so his only completed work with Disney before that was Tarzan).

    Eventually, Mandy Moore should get the honor. After all, besides Tangled, she also had a role in the Princess Diaries and performed a song for the Disney Direct to Video Sequel Tarzan and Jane.

    I agree that others should be named, such as Dick Cook. Eventually, even though Michael Eisner's last 11 years with Disney were not as good as his first 10, he will have to receive the honor (considering that him and Disney Legends Frank Wells and Roy Disney saved the company). And of course, numerous other creative folks such as Tony Baxter, Bruce Gordon, John Musker, Ron Clements, Don Hahn, Glen Keane, and more still deserve the award.


  11. #11

    • "I don't like the color"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,977

    Re: Disney Legends announced for awards ceromony @ D23

    Quote Originally Posted by Choc View Post
    So have the voices of the other Disney Princesses.

    Actually a number of Legends have only had one significant contribution or number of small contributions with Disney. For example, off the top of my head, Robin Williams, Tim Allen, the Golden Girls, David Tomlinson (Mary Poppins and Bedknobs & Broomsticks), and Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber (Jane and Michael Banks).

    That aside, I agree. I'm not saying any on the list nor those already inaugurated that fall into the category don't deserve it. But if those with smaller or single contributions can be inaugurated, others who have done larger or more than one should be too. In my case, I'm wondering when Eleanor Audley (Lady Tremaine, Maleficent, Madame Leota's voice) will get hers.
    I totally agree with you on Eleanor Audley. As for the other princesses, at least Jody Benson
    has more of a track record:
    who provided both the singing and speaking voices for Disney's Princess Ariel in The Little Mermaid and its sequels. For more than 20 years, Benson has voiced Ariel in film, television, video games, toys and at Disney Parks. She also starred as Sam in Disney's Enchanted and voiced Barbie in the hit Disney·Pixar films Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3, plus Weebo in the film comedy Flubber.


    ---------- Post added 06-23-2011 at 06:38 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by jonyyeh View Post
    Regis Philbin would be a Disney Legend based on his long years at WABC-TV hosting Live (which he is retiring this year), hosting Millionaire, and probably most significantly (Disney wise) being involved with the Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade from the beginning up until about two years ago. I think he deserves it, as it recognizes services across the Walt Disney Company, not just the traditional Disney divisions.

    Jim Henson worked with Disney on MuppetVision 3D and would have sold the company to Disney had he not died untimely. Also, his company produced two Muppet movies with Disney in the 90s after his death. I guess the honor is more to honor him for the creation of the Muppets (since the new Muppet movie is coming out).

    Anika Noni Rose - It may be early to name her, but she was eventually going to get the award sooner or later. Phil Collins was named a Disney Legend in 2002 (before Brother Bear came out in 2003, so his only completed work with Disney before that was Tarzan).

    Eventually, Mandy Moore should get the honor. After all, besides Tangled, she also had a role in the Princess Diaries and performed a song for the Disney Direct to Video Sequel Tarzan and Jane.

    I agree that others should be named, such as Dick Cook. Eventually, even though Michael Eisner's last 11 years with Disney were not as good as his first 10, he will have to receive the honor (considering that him and Disney Legends Frank Wells and Roy Disney saved the company). And of course, numerous other creative folks such as Tony Baxter, Bruce Gordon, John Musker, Ron Clements, Don Hahn, Glen Keane, and more still deserve the award.

    Why would Ms. Rose in your opinion eventually receive the award? Plus, if I recall correctly, Phil Collins won the Academy Award for his work on Tarzan.

    ---------- Post added 06-23-2011 at 06:40 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Hooray for Guy Williams -- an honor way overdue (and congratulations to his family).

    But there are still so many important talents from the Walt Disney era that have not received the honor, including:

    Bobby Driscoll
    Eyvind Earle
    Ed Wynn
    James Baskett
    Brian Keith
    James MacArthur (what a shame he was not honored before his untimely death last year)
    Clyde Geronomi
    Darlene Gillespie
    Eleanor Audley
    Bill Thompson
    Verna Felton
    Phil Harris
    Barbara Luddy
    Sebastian Cabot
    Janet Munro
    Evelyn Kennedy
    James Neilsen
    Patrick McGoohan
    Lesley Ann Warren
    John Davidson
    Walter Brennan
    Luana Patten
    Hans Conreid
    Helene Stanley
    etc.
    ^^ This.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Similar Threads

  1. Disney Legends Awards At The D23 Expo Sept 10 - Announcement
    By Dustysage in forum D23 - Disney Twenty Three
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 09:44 AM
  2. Disney's Friends for Change: Project Green announced
    By ALIASd in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 09:55 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 11:12 PM
  4. This Just In.. Disney Has Announced A New Ride for Disney World!!!
    By OogieBoogie in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
  5. Disneyland Cast Members Dominate 2005 Disney Legends Awards
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 03:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •