• Mortals pay a token fee.

Forty-five dollars!? To possibly/maybe participate in an auction?

I've had my tickets for the D23 Expo in hand since they came available last year. I passed on the first Expo, thinking it wouldn't be my thing, and it seems like I was wrong. I'm excited for this years event, and was even more excited about the possibility of participating in the auction.

Details came out about the auction (kind of) and it says that it will cost $45 just to (possibly) participate in the auction. This price will include, an auction catalog, a paddle, and a pin. So $45 to spend on a couple pages of probably poorly printed paper, a wooden stick with cardstock stapled to it, and a piece of metal with a pointy back all for the purpose of POSSIBLY spending ridiculous amounts of more money?

Not only do they expect you to drop almost $50 just to maybe bid on stuff, but they expect you to do it blindly. There's not even an auction catalog available yet, and "tickets" became available yesterday. Why does it seem like Disney wants to hinder people from bidding on things? Is it to discourage the riff-raff from up bidding without the intent to actually purchase anything? What else is included with this ridiculous cover charge? Last (non Disney) auction I went to, I didn't have to pay anything to get in, get my paddle, I was able to sit down, relax, there were complimentary snacks and beverages, and heck! They even bought us all lunch!! And it was all FREE.

I'm just frustrated that not only do I have to pay just to get in to the expo, but now I also have to pay to watch an auction that might not even have anything I want? What's going on here? What kind of game is Disney trying to play?

• Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: Forty-five dollars!? To possibly/maybe participate in an auction?

It ensures a smooth auction with only serious bidders. Otherwise it would be chaos and pandemonium, with jokers coming in who would love nothing better than to drop fake bids to push the bidding up to $1,000,000.

But something that isn't worth $1M isn't going to go for $1M. People are only going to pay for items for what they are worth. If someone goes in to be a joker and only cause pandemonium, they will be stuck having to pay something they can't afford, and won't want. It seems like an issue that solves itself.

• Disney Trivia God

A good friend of mine treated me to a D23 auction seat the last time around (thanks, Matt!). If I remember correctly, it was $40 in 2009, with the paddle, pin, catalog, and a down front seat included, but if you wanted to just watch the auction, there was no extra cost.

It was fun to sit there and imagine what'd it be like to bid on something cool like that, but alas - the lowest priced item was a dress for $900, if I remember right. There was nothing within reason that I was dying to have. When they opened the bidding for the Peter Pan ship, I did throw my paddle in the air and bid $5,000 -- bidding against about 100 others -- but when the bid increased to $10K, I dropped out. (My wife would've killed me - it eventually sold for somewhere around $35K.)

Several items didn't sell during the auction - the bids received didn't meet the set reserves. This surprised me, as I suspected that those who could afford to drop the big bucks would be out in droves, but nope -- maybe the economy was hitting them, too. The show itself was worth watching - the artist before the auction was really cool, and there were a few surprise guests who appeared during the bidding (original Mouseketeers).

So this time around, I think I'll just watch for free and skip the paddle/pin consolation prize. Odds of my being able to win anything are slim, and I'd rather put the $45 to other uses.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cidbliq View Post
    A good friend of mine treated me to a D23 auction seat the last time around (thanks, Matt!). If I remember correctly, it was $40 in 2009, with the paddle, pin, catalog, and a down front seat included, but if you wanted to just watch the auction, there was no extra cost.

It was fun to sit there and imagine what'd it be like to bid on something cool like that, but alas - the lowest priced item was a dress for $900, if I remember right. There was nothing within reason that I was dying to have. When they opened the bidding for the Peter Pan ship, I did throw my paddle in the air and bid $5,000 -- bidding against about 100 others -- but when the bid increased to $10K, I dropped out. (My wife would've killed me - it eventually sold for somewhere around $35K.)

Several items didn't sell during the auction - the bids received didn't meet the set reserves. This surprised me, as I suspected that those who could afford to drop the big bucks would be out in droves, but nope -- maybe the economy was hitting them, too. The show itself was worth watching - the artist before the auction was really cool, and there were a few surprise guests who appeared during the bidding (original Mouseketeers).

So this time around, I think I'll just watch for free and skip the paddle/pin consolation prize. Odds of my being able to win anything are slim, and I'd rather put the $45 to other uses.
    If the cheapest thing at the last one was around $900, then I know for sure thats out of my league unless I hit the lottery between now and then. I too would rather spend the $45 somewhere else, like maybe Trader Sam's that Saturday night since my pass to the park is blocked and I'll have to hang out somewhere that night.... :

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Auctions aren't free... if $45 turns you off, the auction isn't for you. From buyers premiums, fees, deposits, etc... normal auction people are used to paying 10-20% premiums over the gavel price. A little 'entry fee' to reserve capacity and see who is really game.. at what is a trival fee to the spending people will do.. is not a big deal.

I don't think this auction is for you.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    From buyers premiums, fees, deposits, etc...

I don't think this auction is for you.
    I've paid $960 in buyer's premiums alone at an auction before, I severely doubt that's the problem. The problem is that Disney is just milking every last penny they can out of D23 members. Which I guess is the entire point to D23, and I really shouldn't be shocked. What else would I expect from Disney? "They are a business" I can already hear someone saying.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    I've paid $960 in buyer's premiums alone at an auction before, I severely doubt that's the problem. The problem is that Disney is just milking every last penny they can out of D23 members.
    D23 is not some all inclusive card. It's a membership -- not some 'all inclusive club'. It sounds like you are more miffed that as a D23 member, you still have to pay for the auction. They aren't milking D23 members, they are making people who want to bid in the auction pay to participate. People who aren't partaking - don't pay. Should the auction be free? Well that's a different subject. Sounds to me like the style of auction they are setting up isn't some backyard bingo hall but relatively high valued items.

Complain if you pay for the auction and then get nickled... then I'd have a sympathic ear.. but not for a general 'pay to play' setup, especially when the fees are trivial to the subject matter and reasonably applied.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Yeah, they will get very high prices... you know how on Pawn Stars they talk about "Price at a well attended Auction of xxxx buyers". This is it.

I saw a Signed Check (Framed and w/ a picture) from Walt Disney go for a few grand last time. And almost exact one was at a local charity auction a few month prior and didn't even get it's opening bid of $200. (Which is probably more near it's true value).

I am really surprised at the anger I'm seeing about this..not just here but on another forum. Really..what is the big deal? If everyone got auction materials and had to register their CC number or whatever, what a mess..especially since probably 99% of those would never even place a bid. I see the auction as something that will be interesting to watch the deep pocketed serious collectors get some really cool pieces. I didn't watch last time (to watch was free as I'm guessing it will be this time) but I do remember seeing the amazing original Peter Pan vehicle that went for, I think, 32K. Frankly the Auction is not a huge part of the Expo...is is one tiny event in the midst of many many bigger ones. Maybe because they have posted so few events so far that people are giving this one much more attention then it should have. Believe me..there is plenty to do..too much for any one person to do..and you will not miss the auction if you don't attend. Be honest..if you really wanted something (low end items about $1,000 to start) $45 for a nice catalog (which I'm sure it will be) and pin are going to be no big deal. Maybe you can sell the pin for $45 on Ebay and come out even