Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

So far not much Walt at D23 Expo?

So far as I can tell from officially announced events, D23 Expo is light on Walt era content (at least to date). I'm not too interested in promotional hype for new products and franchises (Lion King 3-D etc) or corporate feel-good exhibits and certainly not ABC or Disney Channel in its current form.

Save for the Disney Archives Exhibit and the late Guy "Zorro" Williams honored as a Disney Legend (one of the few Walt era talents honored this year out of many yet to be designated legends)-- and the usual worthy WDI displays and vintage collectible resellers -- I have yet to see any standout event announced of special interest to those of us who enjoy the classic works of Walt Disney Productions.

Especially disappointing, the "Dream Store" listing does not reference any classic unreleased Walt era media: vintage movies, music, TV shows, art repros to be offered... just the usual limited edition consumer product merchandise. I know there is an auction for high roller collectors, but why not some affordable DMC exclusives or authentic programs for fans of the actual movies, cartoons, records etc. on a tighter budget?

I assume some Walt-relevant screenings and talks will be scheduled (hopefully a lot of these to make me consider going), some stars invited (where's Hayley?) but when will we know what/who's on the line-up?

Still time to add some of the unavailable Walt media to buy? I'll bet more people would easily pay admission to be able to get "Song of the South" on DVD for example - or "Wonderful World of Color" sets.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 06-24-2011 at 08:47 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: So far not much Walt at D23 Expo?

Not sure why anyone gets the idea that this expo will have anything to offer, ever. Just another revenue generator for DIS.

D23 seems to be the ultimate "sadist meets masochists" dynamic.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Your Average Joe

The way I understand it, the D23 expo is mostly a look at the future of Disney (with, of course, some notable exceptions).

Destination D is a look back and, thus, would more likely have Walt-era offerings.

• Minion

>>The way I understand it, the D23 expo is mostly a look at the future of Disney (with, of course, some notable exceptions).<<

Hey -- There could be some good stuff in Disney's future if they'd continue to market the past!
    Last edited by merlinjones; 06-24-2011 at 08:42 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

The full schedule isn't posted yet. Once everything is in place we'll see what there is to offer.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    The full schedule isn't posted yet. Once everything is in place we'll see what there is to offer.
    Anyone know if there is an ETA on that? Seems like it's getting late in the game (less than two months?) for people to make summer plans based on what is scheduled.

• Minion

^ I agree. I hope they release the full schedule soon. Personally, I can't wait for the Expo. I'm a planner, and once they release the schedule, I'll plan my entire weekend months ahead haha

• I'm wishing

Count me in as impatiently waiting for the schedule. I am in Las Vegas the week leading up to the event and really need to make my flight plans back...I'd love to stay in Vegas Thursday night and come in on Friday, but if there is something I really want to do Friday morning then I will come back Thursday night.

Seems like Legends was Friday morning two years ago (or was it Saturday??)

• Minion

^ Last year's expo was from Thursday to Sunday and Legends took place on Thursday morning. This year, the expo runs from Friday to Sunday, so I'm guessing Legends will be Friday morning.

• Sock Puppet

Blog Entries

The first year, there was an amazing mix of past, present, and future. I'm a HUGE fan of Walt's time and his generation and the Original Disney. And I was in awe, and the happiest disney fan being completely surrounded by so many Original Disney legends (who I'm sure will be there this year, again, signing autographs and taking pictures), watching so many Programs that fulfilled both my Original Disney-Walt Era side, and my love of all other disney things. It was a perfect blend. And I DO have faith that they will do that again this year. Have faith, the schedule isn't even out yet. They have only announced a few things. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of things left to announce. And I'm telling you, if you love the Original's like I do, MEETING them... the imagineers, animators, and voices... that is magic. And I know they will be there again.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    This year, the expo runs from Friday to Sunday, so I'm guessing Legends will be Friday morning.
    No need to guess on that one...

D23 Expo: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTinkerbell View Post
    The first year, there was an amazing mix of past, present, and future. I'm a HUGE fan of Walt's time and his generation and the Original Disney. And I was in awe, and the happiest disney fan being completely surrounded by so many Original Disney legends (who I'm sure will be there this year, again, signing autographs and taking pictures), watching so many Programs that fulfilled both my Original Disney-Walt Era side, and my love of all other disney things. It was a perfect blend. And I DO have faith that they will do that again this year. Have faith, the schedule isn't even out yet. They have only announced a few things. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of things left to announce. And I'm telling you, if you love the Original's like I do, MEETING them... the imagineers, animators, and voices... that is magic. And I know they will be there again.
    Agreed...the first Expo had a great mix. LOTS of Walt stories and praise and quirks. The full schedule wasn't released last time until about a month out. The days will be jam packed..events overlap..you cannot do it all. You have to pick and choose. Just plan to be at the Convention Center from opening until late at night and you'll be fine.
    Last time was amazing and they set a high bar for this time.

• Minion

Seems like last time a lot of the actual Walt movies were screened way too late with not much to do to occupy the lag time after the hall closed. They needed more Walt film during the day hours - - fewer promotional events or memorializing - - but more of his actual rare works/entertainment to enjoy-experience in full (IMHO).
    Last edited by merlinjones; 06-26-2011 at 02:41 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Most conventions or "expositions" are more about showcasing the present and the future.
    This is where they want to generate the most excitement (and money). But really, if you think about it, even with a focus on the current Disney and the things to come, Walt's hand is still in all of it. If not for him, there would be no Disney now, and no future to look forward to. So in a way, Walt will be all over Expo.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

>>Most conventions or "expositions" are more about showcasing the present and the future.<<

Not sure that's true at all. Most Arts related conventions: Comic Cons and Sci-Fi Cons -- and especially Hollywood Movie/TV Cons -- have always been as much about perpetuating and accessing the rich past works and inspirational craft of the various genres -- and honoring the talents involved -- as promoting current products.

After all, valuable assets of the past are also a potent part of the product mix if you are doing it right.

And we know that in developing his own "exposition" of Disneyland, Walt meant the nostalgia of the past to have equal weight with the promise of the future. It's in the company DNA to do both as one.

However corporate trade shows are certainly like you say.

>>But really, if you think about it, even with a focus on the current Disney and the things to come, Walt's hand is still in all of it. If not for him, there would be no Disney now, and no future to look forward to. So in a way, Walt will be all over Expo.<<

Is it really fair to hold Walt accountable for a future filled with mind-numbing ABC reality programs or cavorting 'Tween celebutantes or The Disney Baby Store?

I'd rather inspired by the classical Art of Animation or Imagineering.

At this point, for me, the Disney future to look forward to is getting nicely refreshed prints of Walt Disney's "Song of the South," "Wonderful World of Color" (etc. etc.) screened publicly and made available on DVD -- seeing Walt's Tomorrowland properly restored or reworked... and the like.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 06-26-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast