Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: D23 Expo Arena Schedule Announced

I dont get why you can bring phones when Mice Chat will tell us EVERYTHING from all the presentations.....if they want to keep the stuff from D23 a secret why even have it at all?

Anyway last time when I went I wait 30 mins for the Disney Studios Presentation and an Hour for Toy Story 1 and 2. I think Saturday is the best day to go this year getting to see Lion King 3D and being the first to see images from Brave and Monsters Inc 2, along with the next few Disney movies

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I dont get why you can bring phones when Mice Chat will tell us EVERYTHING from all the presentations.....if they want to keep the stuff from D23 a secret why even have it at all?

It's called controlled publicity. Or... maybe it has a name but whatever. Disney wants ultimate control and will release all of the news that they leak either during the session or immediately following.

Truth is, they don't want anyone going to micechat or other forums for their news. They want people to go to their disney parks blogs and get it first hand, without any of the negative opinions that might go with it.

But of course the real fans will want an honest place to get the news honestly and completely. Not just selective highlights. Disney needs to learn that aspect if they want to dominate the internet.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I'm mostly excited only for the P&R presentation, as far as the Arena presentations go. I hope the WDF Museum has another panel again. The one I attended on that Saturday was fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It's called controlled publicity. Or... maybe it has a name but whatever. Disney wants ultimate control and will release all of the news that they leak either during the session or immediately following.

Truth is, they don't want anyone going to micechat or other forums for their news. They want people to go to their disney parks blogs and get it first hand, without any of the negative opinions that might go with it.

But of course the real fans will want an honest place to get the news honestly and completely. Not just selective highlights. Disney needs to learn that aspect if they want to dominate the internet.
    And yet, they let us take our cameras into the Parks and Resorts presentation... although I understand that was the only one.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
    Disney Channel – Fans are invited to experience the excitement of a
    spectacular live performance, featuring stars of Disney Channel’s hit
    series Shake It Up. From meeting the cast of television's first dance-
    driven sitcom and learning moves from a Disney Channel dance
    master to a special panel, autograph session and more, this
    unforgettable experience awaits Disney fans of all ages.
    [/INDENT]
    I took my niece to do all this today for free at The Americana at Brand in Glendale. Plus she was asked to participate in the onstage event, received a bunch of swag and was chatted up by two agents and the president of the Disney Channel.
    Make Your Mark Ultimate Dance Off @AmericanaBrand
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

Sounds like an extended version of the Shareholders meeting, ShowWest and Comic-Con Hall H. Sure to be lots of PR, executive hype and special guest-stars supporting current franchises (if they assemble all of The Avengers that could be interesting) -- but where's the authentic (Walt) Disneyana to balance out all the advertising?

I'd gladly trade all of that for a nice big screening of Walt Disney's "Song of the South" with a fresh 35mm Technicolor print! (And DVDs-Blu-Rays for sale in the lobby!).

...Or a Hayley Mills film festival hosted by Hayley (or the same with Kurt Russell).

...Or a 50th Anniversary tribute to "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" and Professor Ludwig VonDrake (again, with complete screenings and DVDs to buy).

...Or 50th tributes/screenings of Walt Disney's "Parent Trap!", "One Hundred and One Dalmatians," "Babes in Toyland" and "Absent-Minded Professor" with guests.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-07-2011 at 09:31 PM.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

I am surprised they're is no keynote or opening ceremony this year. IT was great in 2009 when we saw a preview of princess and the frog and it led right into the disney legend ceromony.

• Disney Trivia God

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    I posted my photos from Day 1 of the first Expo on Flickr. You can start from the link below and move sequentially through the next few to see what shots I took over the course of standing in line. Towards the end you'll see the staging area that was set up with the stanchions and ropes.

I don't remember how long I stood in line, but I did get in line not long after I checked in early in the morning (you can look at the photos before this one to figure out how much time I likely spent before getting in line). But like mmeleota said, it was probably in the neighborhood of an hour.

In line for Bob Iger's Keynote Speech in the D23 Arena | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Hey - pretty cool. That's me in one of your pics!

The lobby, less crowded than it was earlier when we first entered | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Funny, I don't look nearly as tired as I felt that morning...

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    I am surprised they're is no keynote or opening ceremony this year. IT was great in 2009 when we saw a preview of princess and the frog and it led right into the disney legend ceromony.
    Yeah, I noticed this too, and it has me thinking that D23 may have lost the attention it was given by the Disney corporation in the first year. I hope this isn't true, but I suspect if Bob Iger isn't presenting at any of the shows at the expo, then D23 expo is not going to be disneys version of macworld. I was really hoping they would rename d23 expo to the disney expo, and save big presentations and announcements for this show.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Homan View Post
    I was really hoping they would rename d23 expo to the disney expo, and save big presentations and announcements for this show.
    You bring up a very good point. I wonder how many average Disney fans even know what "D23" is, or what it means. If you see banners on the street for "D23 Expo" you wouldn't have any clue what it was about unless you were already a D23 member or a die-hard Disney fan. "Disney Expo" would be a much better name. Same for Disney Twenty-Three Magazine, it should just be called "Disney Magazine".
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Refugee from a island

You bring up a very good point. I wonder how many average Disney fans even know what "D23" is, or what it means. If you see banners on the street for "D23 Expo" you wouldn't have any clue what it was about unless you were already a D23 member or a die-hard Disney fan. "Disney Expo" would be a much better name. Same for Disney Twenty-Three Magazine, it should just be called "Disney Magazine".
    I know that many people here believe that Disney is nothing more than a marketing juggernaut, interested only in the bottom line, and if Eisner was still at the helm, I'd agree. That said, I think Disney's target market for D23 is the more hard-core fan, and that is how they are positioning it.

I kind of like that myself.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    I know that many people here believe that Disney is nothing more than a marketing juggernaut, interested only in the bottom line, and if Eisner was still at the helm, I'd agree. That said, I think Disney's target market for D23 is the more hard-core fan, and that is how they are positioning it.

I kind of like that myself.
    And many people think that D23 is nothing more than a way for Disney to suck even more money out of those hard-core fans. Which... its pretty much is.

But from a marketing stand point, I would think they would want to pull in as many bodies with wallets as they could. Putting on these Expo's has got to be freakishly expensive. But by labeling it a "D23" Expo, even though anyone can attend, is going to get the attention of a smaller slice of the pie. They would get more money, and perhaps get more casual fans to become more hard core, if they had a more mass appeal for the Expo.

Have it be a "Disney Expo" sponsored by D23 or something like that.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

It will be interesting what panels will be scheduled during the Arena events. Hopefully they will schedule popular panels more than once over the three days to allow people to attend if they are in the arena for the big events. But I won't hold my breath on that one! ;-P
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

• 11 Year Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by GapToothed View Post
    It will be interesting what panels will be scheduled during the Arena events. Hopefully they will schedule popular panels more than once over the three days to allow people to attend if they are in the arena for the big events. But I won't hold my breath on that one! ;-P
    Yeah... It wasn't easy getting from the Imagineers panel to the Parks and Resort arena event last year.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 12.15.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 20

• Sock Puppet

Blog Entries

I agree. I was just talking about this with my friend the other day. She loves Disney, but she isn't into it on the ultimate level as I am And she has no idea what D23 is. Even I, a member of D23, call the expo the Disney Expo. Haha. Because it's easier, and what it really should be called. No one knows what D23 is unless you are a member. It's not catching on, which is what they hoped it would do. I think it's only hurting them. If they named it The Disney Expo, it would get around A LOT more, maybe? Anyway,all I meant to say was I agree with you.

• Minion

Company also seems to have marginalized much of the "old" Walt film/TV/character library as "D23" branding much in the same way the new Disney Channel did with "Vault Disney" -- yet they have done little to reintroduce these wonderful things to new generations -- beyond memorializing it for those already interested.

I'd like to see a more expansive approach to reselling the Walt Disney classics and exploiting those timeless assets for the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast