Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Question D23 Expo: Worth it???

So after reading Al's less than exciting update today I'm more convinced than ever not to go to D23 this year. Last year I was tempted, but the internet being what it is today, kept me from making the trip, and I feel good about it. I'm sure it's a fun experience, but after already getting an PAP, I can't imagine spending 100 bucks to go to this, and not see (according to Al) any announcements or plans for coming attractions to Disneyland. Which for me, is the only reason I'd go to such a thing. Thoughts?

• Minion

Re: D23: Worth it???

I can assure you that Al is wrong in the regard that there will be no major announcements. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

I think it's totally worth it! Not only do you get to be there when additions are announced, but you also get to see some awesome panels and presentations. Steve Davison's World of Color presentation, the Afternoon with Imagineering Legends panel, and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln panel were all absolutely fascinating. Nowhere else will you be able to see such greats of the company talk about their experiences and discuss new projects. It's really really fun! You also get lots of free stuff

• Banned User

Okay, that does sound better.

I agree that it is very worth it!

I went last year, and the announcements were a small part of it. The Disney Parks and Resorts area was especially fascinating. And I also really enjoyed the Mr. Lincoln and Science of Imagineering presentations. It was really fun, and I highly suggest you try it out this year!
    "Pretty soon he would be hundreds and hundreds of miles away on the great plains and deserts, and among the mountains of the Far West, and would see buffaloes and Indians, and prairie dogs, and antelopes, and have all kinds of adventures, and may be get hanged or scalped, and have ever such a fine time, and write home and tell us all about it, and be a hero."
    - Mark Twain, jealous of his brother, who was traveling west.

• Minion

^ Another thing I forgot to mention is the Parks and Resort's pavilion, which was absolutely fantastic last year! You could examine Carsland models up close, stand next to and examine the original Mr. Lincoln figure, and examine the Aulani and HKDL expansion models. This year is supposed to be just as great! I'm really looking forward to the Expo this year!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I didn't go to the last Expo (2009, they are bi-annual so they didn't have one last year ), but I will be there this year. I'm looking forward to checking out the D23 Charter member lounge, and working the MiceChat booth. I'm also looking forward to spending Saturday night, while my pass is blocked, at Trader Sam's. Any thing over and above those things are all gravy.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

^Yeah, thats right. 2010. Thanks for catching that!
    "Pretty soon he would be hundreds and hundreds of miles away on the great plains and deserts, and among the mountains of the Far West, and would see buffaloes and Indians, and prairie dogs, and antelopes, and have all kinds of adventures, and may be get hanged or scalped, and have ever such a fine time, and write home and tell us all about it, and be a hero."
    - Mark Twain, jealous of his brother, who was traveling west.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

It is definitely worth it. The last Expo was one of the best days of my life!

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 4.6.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 14

• Banned User

If you don't go because of some internet rumor guy saying it will be uneventful, well I honestly think you would be a fool.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    If you don't go because of some internet rumor guy saying it will be uneventful, well I honestly think you would be a fool.
    Agreed! The Expo is way more than just announcing attractions.

• Banned User

That wasn't my only reasoning. The line up I've read thus far hasn't been very impressive either. But seeing as he's usually correct, that didn't help my inclination.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    That wasn't my only reasoning. The line up I've read thus far hasn't been very impressive either. But seeing as he's usually correct, that didn't help my inclination.
    Even when Jay Rasulo announced a bunch of glorified meet n greets, I was still loving every moment because I was the first to hear. Its a almost a Disney-euphoria that makes it difficult to be disappointed.

• Banned User

To be honest, I dont even know why anyone would go because of future announcements? Yeah you can catch all of that on the internet like I did. I didnt feel I had to BE there to hear about the FL expansion. Sure, it would be nice, but not neccessary.

But I have to admit overall the 2009 one did look great. I didnt even know about it until a few weeks before it happened, but wasnt living in America at the time so wasnt focused on it. I would like to go this year just to see all the cool models and stuff like CL and HKDL additions. The presentations dont really interest me but I would go to a few if I could.

So thinking about going, but if I do, it would only be a day I think. Like I said the presentations dont interest me, mainly the exhibits and I will only need a day to do all of them.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    To be honest, I dont even know why anyone would go because of future announcements? Yeah you can catch all of that on the internet like I did. I didnt feel I had to BE there to hear about the FL expansion. Sure, it would be nice, but not neccessary.

But I have to admit overall the 2009 one did look great. I didnt even know about it until a few weeks before it happened, but wasnt living in America at the time so wasnt focused on it. I would like to go this year just to see all the cool models and stuff like CL and HKDL additions. The presentations dont really interest me but I would go to a few if I could.

So thinking about going, but if I do, it would only be a day I think. Like I said the presentations dont interest me, mainly the exhibits and I will only need a day to do all of them.
    Yeah a day is definitely plenty of time! In 2009, we went on the Saturday which was the day of the Parks and Resort's presentation. We visited the exhibits for a bit, caught the Parks and Resorts presentation, then went back and looked at more exhibits. One day is plenty of time to see them all if that's what you're interested in. For me, I really wanted to see the presentations this year, so we're going all 3 days. It really just depends on what you're interested in and what you want to get out of the Expo. I definitely recommend going though. Plus, if they happen to have a presentation or panel that you're interested in the day you go, you can always check it out. It's really a great time!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: D23 Expo: Worth it???

It all depends on what interests you. Is knowing all the latest Disney resort gossip all you're interested in? If that's the case then perhaps it's not worth it.

BUT... if you like geeking out, there'll be plenty of ways to do so at the Expo. Whether D23 delivers something better than the first Expo or not remains to be seen. But if they're at least trying to match the quality, then there's much to do... IF you can stand waiting in long lines to get in that is.

My biggest issues with the first Expo were the small rooms devoted to such AMAZING panels. Hoping that gets remedied this year.

Anyway, here's a few highlights from my photo album that made the experience worth it to me.

Not my photo:

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast