• DisneyBounder

Does D23 Expo sell out?

Does the D23 Expo sell out? Is it necessary to purchase tickets early?

---------- Post added 07-24-2011 at 09:07 PM ----------

Also, can you purchase tickets at the door?

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Does D23 Expo sell out?

I doubt that they sell out. I'm pretty sure you can buy tickets at the door. I didn't go last time so I don't know if they had them at the Expo itself but I'm sure you can still get in if you show up the day of.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Disneyland Jr. Reporter

They've only had one so far and it did not sell out. Highly unlikely this one will. I think it's an awesome event and had a blast at the last one, but given that it's only in it second year and considering the space they have at the convention center, there's no rush to buy tickets now that the final pricing tier is in effect. I know you could buy tickets at the door last time (that's how I got mine) and my guess is it'll be the same this year, as well.

• Future Indy Castmember

I contacted D23 regarding buying tickets at the convention center. Yes you can!

Response:

You may purchase a ticket at the convention center

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Depends on what you mean by 'Sell out'

As for tickets? No, they don't sell out.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Minion

No, they don't sell out.

You can easily find the box office at the Convention Center. There are a ton of signs and directories showing where everything is. You'll be fine.

I haven't been to the D23 Expo before, but I've been to other conventions that used the area back in 2004 to 2006, before the convention center was remodeled. Back then it was estimated that 40,000 attendees was maximum capacity. Unfortunately D23 didn't post the expo's attendance numbers from the first year, but I highly doubt they'll hit anything beyond 40,000 attendees. The only way it can "sell out" is if the fire marshal finds the area to be at maximum capacity and close the sale of tickets. As long as the entire San Diego Comic Con crowd doesn't invade the place you'll be fine.

If you want to purchase tickets at the door just be prepared to wait. Friday morning will probably be busy with pre-registered attendees picking up their badges/credentials/ticket pouches/expo guide/etc. Just keep an eye out on the schedule over the next couple of weeks and plan according to what you want to attend/do.

Anyone know if they'll have an early pick-up. I have my tickets... some conventions I've gone to in the past had a pickup for your badge-holder, etc the night before at some kind of will-call like area.
    Makes it nice if you are arriving the day before, then you can get all your registration done and just show up to the first event, rather than wait and hope you aren't stuck and miss something in the morning.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    Anyone know if they'll have an early pick-up. I have my tickets... some conventions I've gone to in the past had a pickup for your badge-holder, etc the night before at some kind of will-call like area.
    Makes it nice if you are arriving the day before, then you can get all your registration done and just show up to the first event, rather than wait and hope you aren't stuck and miss something in the morning.
    According to the slip of paper that came with my tickets, it says:

Bring this entire envelope to the Expo to gain admission to the event and to avoid long lines at registration. You will be able to pic up your plastic badge holders onsite at kiosks that will be set up within the registration area.
    It sounds like you can only pick up your badge holders the day of. But since we already have our tickets, it sounds like we simply have to pick up our badge holders from a kiosk and walk into the convention.

Hope that helped.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that pick-up for non-Sorcerer/Premiere tickets may be at 8 AM on Friday morning (hopefully this won't be a logistics nightmare). My mom and I are Premiere ticket holders and we and Sorcerer ticket holders have early pick-up on Thursday (only 300 people). Though the packet we received listed a D23 Member only presentation/panel at 9:30 AM at Stage 23 and Stage 28... a date wasn't listed, but I'm assuming it will be on the first day (or heck, it could be all three days, but the current schedule conflicts with this idea). Hopefully however Con Ops is set up pre-registered attendees will be in and out of the registration hall and won't have to miss any panels/presentations.

Currently here are the only hours that are posted on the expo's site:

Quote Originally Posted by D23 Expo

Hours

D23 Expo 2011 hours are shown below. Please check back soon for more information about exciting events that will happen after the show closes!
    9:00 a.m. Member Early Entry
    10:00 a.m. General Show Opens
    7:00 p.m. Show Floor Closes
    Hopefully ticket pick-up/check-in will be listed as we get closer to the expo!

If you are Premiere or Sorcerer you pick up on Thursday..Sorcerer at 12:30 Premiere at 6:30

Must need more people to attend. They are advertising it on the tv now.

• I also like Stitch!

Quote Originally Posted by artisticdoodle View Post
    I haven't been to the D23 Expo before, but I've been to other conventions that used the area back in 2004 to 2006, before the convention center was remodeled. Back then it was estimated that 40,000 attendees was maximum capacity. Unfortunately D23 didn't post the expo's attendance numbers from the first year, but I highly doubt they'll hit anything beyond 40,000 attendees. The only way it can "sell out" is if the fire marshal finds the area to be at maximum capacity and close the sale of tickets. As long as the entire San Diego Comic Con crowd doesn't invade the place you'll be fine.

If you want to purchase tickets at the door just be prepared to wait. Friday morning will probably be busy with pre-registered attendees picking up their badges/credentials/ticket pouches/expo guide/etc. Just keep an eye out on the schedule over the next couple of weeks and plan according to what you want to attend/do.
    That''s why my Mom and I are going to the members only hour to get everything we need. I'm going to try and go to sleep early and wake up early so we can catch a bus or walk over (were only half a mile away from ACC).

How early do people line up to get into the Expo? I also already have my tickets already but don't want to miss the opportunity to line up for some of the big presentations like the Studios and Marvel.

• Disney Trivia God

I saw somewhere that they're expecting some people to start lining up on Friday around 5:00 AM. From what I saw, the early birds got the attention from the TV cameras there to cover the event. So if you're a star-wannabe or a huge showoff, that's probably the time you want to show up.

Once the show floor doors open, you'll see the crowd disperse, ala Disneyland's rope drop. Some will head to the store immediately, some will beeline it for the Arena line. I'd recommend deciding ahead of time how much time & effort you're willing to put into waiting for the morning event you're dying to see, and then plan your day around it.

I personally won't be there that early, but I'll make it by opening.