Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

D23 Expo Questions

Hi i'm going to the D23 Expo and i was wondering if i would be entertained for 3 whole days or if i should spend one at Disneyland. Also what will the crowds be like at that time. Another thing is that i cant find the hours of the expo.

• Refugee from a island

Re: D23 Expo Questions

If you are a big Disney fan, you should have any problem being entertained for all 3 days. We're staying an extra day so we can make sure we have some Disneyland time.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I'm sure between the exhibits and speakers on the various days you will be able to find something to fill the days. If you have a pass you can spend the evenings/nights in the park.

I can't find anything for certain time wise either but I think the Expo opens around 10 AM and they have things running until 7 or 9 at night depending on the day. Friday is the Disney Trivia Tourney from 6-7:30 PM, Sat. the live auction from 7:30-9:30 PM. But I'm not sure what time the exhibit hall and the main events close for the day. I'm guessing around 5 or 6.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Future Indy Castmember

As far as hours goes, this is what I found on the expo page:

D23 Expo 2011 hours are shown below. Please check back soon for more information about exciting events that will happen after the show closes!
    9:00 a.m. Member Early Entry
    10:00 a.m. General Show Opens
    7:00 p.m. Show Floor Closes

So like Disney Parks, there will be an early entry for D23 members.

The one thing I need clarification is the mobile phone policy:

No pictures or video are permitted in the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit, other select venues, and screenings. The Walt Disney Studios presentation in the D23 Arena will be monitored for unauthorized recording. Mobile phones and recording devices are strictly forbidden. Security will be on hand to check electronics at the door. You will be subject to removal from the theater for any suspicion of mobile phone or recording device use. Unauthorized recording will be reported to law enforcement and may subject to criminal and civil liability.

According to this, it seems that at the venues listed, cameras and phones will be forbidden in those areas only. Anyone that went to the first expo shed some light?

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by seancamp View Post
    Hi i'm going to the D23 Expo and i was wondering if i would be entertained for 3 whole days or if i should spend one at Disneyland. Also what will the crowds be like at that time. Another thing is that i cant find the hours of the expo.
    It really depends on what part of Disney you are really interested in. The Expo is a combination of all Disney business units. Some people are focused on individual businesses: Parks, studios/Pixar, ESPN, ABC, etc..

I would imagine that if you have a broad range of Disney interests, you'll find enough to keep you busy the entire weekend. However, if your interests are just parks and maybe movies, then you may find much of the Expo of less interest.

Of course, many of the various presentations are spread throughout the weekend, so even if your interests are fairly narrow, you might need to go all three days to experience everything you want. You will need to check the weekend schedule and determine what you will be interested in and use that information to set your plans.

• Refugee from a island

At the venues where no photography, video or audio is allowed, your electronics will be checked and you can pick it up on the way out.

Anyway, that how they did it for the first one.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    At the venues where no photography, video or audio is allowed, your electronics will be checked and you can pick it up on the way out.

Anyway, that how they did it for the first one.
    Oh I see, so pretty much at the D23 Expo areas where photo and video is not allowed, I just have to let them check and I can pick it up. Other than that, I can have my phone and camera at the places where it is permitted in the Expo.

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.

• Disneyland Jr. Reporter

According to this, it seems that at the venues listed, cameras and phones will be forbidden in those areas only. Anyone that went to the first expo shed some light?
    The same policy was strictly enforced in '09. Before any of the events in the arena, they had security confiscate all electronic devices (phones, cameras, etc.) and stored them in a plastic bag to be picked up at the conclusion of that particular event. You had to redeem a numbered ticket to get them back and everything was kept safe, but it was annoying and created a bottleneck crowd with everyone pouring out of the exits. I can understand banning such devices for the bigger announcements or exclusive sneak previews, but not allowing people to take pictures of classic costumes and props seems a little less rational. I mean I think the word is out on what the original Mousketeer outfits look like. Or are they thinking they'll disintegrate like an aged parchment when a flash goes off?

The good news is, they did not enforce this policy at the smaller panels and screenings, which in my opinion, is what D23 is really all about. I saw many people without credentials taking photos and filming. There's also plenty to document on the show floor and in the halls, and I personally got pictures with several Disney celebs like Paige O'Hara, Glen Keane, Alice Davis, and The Muppets!

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBlot View Post
    The same policy was strictly enforced in '09. Before any of the events in the arena, they had security confiscate all electronic devices (phones, cameras, etc.) and stored them in a plastic bag to be picked up at the conclusion of that particular event. You had to redeem a numbered ticket to get them back and everything was kept safe, but it was annoying and created a bottleneck crowd with everyone pouring out of the exits. I can understand banning such devices for the bigger announcements or exclusive sneak previews, but not allowing people to take pictures of classic costumes and props seems a little less rational. I mean I think the word is out on what the original Mousketeer outfits look like. Or are they thinking they'll disintegrate like an aged parchment when a flash goes off?

The good news is, they did not enforce this policy at the smaller panels and screenings, which in my opinion, is what D23 is really all about. I saw many people without credentials taking photos and filming. There's also plenty to document on the show floor and in the halls, and I personally got pictures with several Disney celebs like Paige O'Hara, Glen Keane, Alice Davis, and The Muppets!

Thanks! This is the first time I've been to an Expo and I wasn't sure how things are managed. I'll be sure to note this when I go!

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

[snip]The good news is, they did not enforce this policy at the smaller panels and screenings, which in my opinion, is what D23 is really all about. I saw many people without credentials taking photos and filming. There's also plenty to document on the show floor and in the halls, and I personally got pictures with several Disney celebs like Paige O'Hara, Glen Keane, Alice Davis, and The Muppets!
    There were some smaller venues in 2009 which did require checking of cell phones and cameras. The Princess and Frog presentation was at least one of those. -- Suzanne

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I agree. Its not like what they have on display is some top secret, game changing display. I understand wanting to protect valuable, classic stuff, but they could just enforce a "no flash" rule like most museums have.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

thanks for answering guys, and also do u know how the crowds will be?

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Here's my question. Because I do not have credit cards (shocking, I know) I can not buy my ticket in advance. Will I be able to purchase my ticket at the convention center the day I go? Is there someplace at Disneyland one can purchase a ticket in advance (but this one I'm doubting). Because of the credit card issue I am not a D23 member and will have to pay the general admission.

Also as an Annual Passholder I'm thinking of parking in Toy Story and walking over. I'm assuming that's ok.

I'm going to the parks first, then expo!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    Here's my question. Because I do not have credit cards (shocking, I know) I can not buy my ticket in advance. Will I be able to purchase my ticket at the convention center the day I go? Is there someplace at Disneyland one can purchase a ticket in advance (but this one I'm doubting). Because of the credit card issue I am not a D23 member and will have to pay the general admission.
    Yes, there is a box office outside the Convention Center. It won't be hard to find if it was like the last time: there were a ton of signs and directories pointing to it. You'll be fine.

Also as an Annual Passholder I'm thinking of parking in Toy Story and walking over. I'm assuming that's ok.
    I'm sure it'll be okay. I can't see why it wouldn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast