The answer: Not.
But not so fast!
MIGHT I still renew? I will miss the magazine. It's not well-written but it has pretty pictures.
I would miss going on the D23 Forums ... but there aren't any.
I'll miss the gifts, when they come, there's that. And the newsletters.
Is it $79 worth of membership? No way. Is it going to break my bank? No. So, I have to evaluate it this way:
* I can buy the magazine as long as they keep producing it
* I don't get the member gifts, but they are always on e-bay
* I won't be able to do a Studio Tour. At this point, that's been covered off so many times that while I'd like to do it someday, I'd like it to be private.
* I don't get any additional discounts that are meaningful (and if I do, they don't bother really to tell me what they are in any meaningful way.
On the downside:
* D23 magazine is filled with stuff I don't want to read, mostly, and it's not very well designed outside of the glossy look; it's not a magazine, it's almost a catalog
* It comes just four times a year; I'm in my local bookstore more often than that
* There are never events I can get to; the events they create are for crazy disney fans. what about people like me who just visit a couple of times a year? do something special for me:
What could those special "D23 Moments" be?
* Let me chill in the concierge lounge even if I stay in the standard room
* Give me free minutes on a waterbike
* Give me a cake at the end of Dinner and announce to the world that 'he's 23 today!" Make a big show out of the first drink
* Give me a button at City Hall NO ONE ELSE gets if they're not in D23
* Have D23 members raise the flag on Main Street once a week
* Give D23 members a 15% dicount at their local Disney Stores
* Book a special "D23 Room" on a Cruise Line -- outfitted with every Disney doo-dad you could think of.
So many more ideas. The "Magical Moment" can be replaced (temporarily) with "The D23 Girls who grant instant wishes wherever they are. (Not big ones, but a little like Theme Parks did.)
So many ideas for making this better. SO many. Maybe the problem just comes down to monday?
This is about making people say, "Wow! You got that for $75 AND you get gifts AND you get a magazine?" The ideas just seem limitless.