To Renew or Not to Renew ... That is the Question

The answer: Not.

But not so fast!

MIGHT I still renew? I will miss the magazine. It's not well-written but it has pretty pictures.

I would miss going on the D23 Forums ... but there aren't any.

I'll miss the gifts, when they come, there's that. And the newsletters.

Is it $79 worth of membership? No way. Is it going to break my bank? No. So, I have to evaluate it this way:

* I can buy the magazine as long as they keep producing it
    * I don't get the member gifts, but they are always on e-bay
    * I won't be able to do a Studio Tour. At this point, that's been covered off so many times that while I'd like to do it someday, I'd like it to be private.
    * I don't get any additional discounts that are meaningful (and if I do, they don't bother really to tell me what they are in any meaningful way.

On the downside:

* D23 magazine is filled with stuff I don't want to read, mostly, and it's not very well designed outside of the glossy look; it's not a magazine, it's almost a catalog
    * It comes just four times a year; I'm in my local bookstore more often than that
    * There are never events I can get to; the events they create are for crazy disney fans. what about people like me who just visit a couple of times a year? do something special for me:

What could those special "D23 Moments" be?

* Let me chill in the concierge lounge even if I stay in the standard room
    * Give me free minutes on a waterbike
    * Give me a cake at the end of Dinner and announce to the world that 'he's 23 today!" Make a big show out of the first drink
    * Give me a button at City Hall NO ONE ELSE gets if they're not in D23
    * Have D23 members raise the flag on Main Street once a week
    * Give D23 members a 15% dicount at their local Disney Stores
    * Book a special "D23 Room" on a Cruise Line -- outfitted with every Disney doo-dad you could think of.

So many more ideas. The "Magical Moment" can be replaced (temporarily) with "The D23 Girls who grant instant wishes wherever they are. (Not big ones, but a little like Theme Parks did.)

So many ideas for making this better. SO many. Maybe the problem just comes down to monday?

This is about making people say, "Wow! You got that for $75 AND you get gifts AND you get a magazine?" The ideas just seem limitless.

• Cool Yule

Re: To Renew or Not to Renew ... That is the Question

Nice crit, they could do more but they won't. They're making easy money out of fans who either like what it offers or who still sub on the hope they will offer more.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Nerd

I was a member the first year. I did not renew. I'm a big fan but I didn't really feel like I got $75 bucks worth of value out of being a member. Yes I miss the magazine a little (but only if I see one - and can't you buy them in the park anyway?) but other than that- what do you really get except bragging rights that you are a member?
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Just another Disney fan..

If you need to analyze, critque and contemplate this much, my guess is you're probably better off not renewing. Save yourself the effort and enjoy things that you don't have so many doubts about.

Life is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    I was a member the first year. I did not renew. I'm a big fan but I didn't really feel like I got $75 bucks worth of value out of being a member. Yes I miss the magazine a little (but only if I see one - and can't you buy them in the park anyway?) but other than that- what do you really get except bragging rights that you are a member?
    I would agree and would actually suspect that many D23 members do not renew because there is so little in return for the cost of membership. You actually pay Disney for the right to pay them more money on "exclusives". I really wish there were published statistics on membership because after the initial roll-out, I would believe membership has been in decline. For D23 to succeed in the future a couple of things might have to happen and yes, one would be add add a "Marvel" element that is segregated from the more traditional Disney and move the Expo to WDW where there is an opportunity to bring in a large contingent of Disney fans who think they are getting the short end of the D23 stick.

It's funny, with all the assorted Disney discussion boards and forums, outside of the website reporters and owners, there seems to be little enthusiasm for D23. In the end, I believe it will re-invent itself or die.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Judging by the way things are going it would not surprise me if D23 either goes out of business, or has to make some cuts to exist as is. I don't think they ever captured the Disneyana market as they had hoped.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• I also like Stitch!

They also need a park discount

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I wish they would just lower the price and bring back the old Disney Magazine. I much prefered that. And the Disney magazine was much easier to look at and read. The D23 Magazine is just too large and bulky to look at - I still don't understand why they made a magazine the size of an atlas.

• Cool Yule

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I wish they would just lower the price and bring back the old Disney Magazine. I much prefered that. And the Disney magazine was much easier to look at and read. The D23 Magazine is just too large and bulky to look at - I still don't understand why they made a magazine the size of an atlas.
    I tend to agree with you there. Of course lower price/old Disney Magazine format would mean adverts, but I doubt that's a huge deal breaker to the majority. Besides, I'm sure they could easily fill quite a few pages with DVC, DCL and other such cross promotions.

Although the size is somewhat awkward, I kind of like it, it makes it a bit of an "event" magazine. Perhaps in the future they could offer two versions? The regular D23 and a compact version in normal magazine format, the latter perhaps offered with the Silver Membership and the large coming as standard as part of Gold.

I'd be pretty happy with that if they did that. That and reducing international shipping, I've just renewed and it's cost me $125 for the privilege.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney