• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

GeekChat - The Disney Geek Answers YOUR Questions About the D23 Expo and D23

There have been a flurry of questions lately about the upcoming D23 Expo and Disney's official fan club, D23, so we thought we go direct to the experts and see if we could find you some official answers. We are thrilled to be joined today by D23's very own Disney Geek host, Jeffrey Epstein.

Two weeks ago, we started a discussion for you to ask your questions of the Geek. Let's see what was on your minds and what we can expect out of the upcoming Expo and D23.

Cidbliq asks: Have they addressed the "check your camera at the arena" issue from last time?
    A good first question! While filming and photography may not be permitted at
    certain points during presentations, the only session currently scheduled to
    have a camera check will be the Studios presentation in the Arena on Saturday.
    (And trust us, it will be worth it!) Filming and photography are also not allowed
    in the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit. That said, if there are
    any additional camera checks added, we are planning to give enough advance
    notice so guests aren’t caught off guard—and to make sure all check points are
    adequately staffed.

KEBSD asked: Are there any plans for another Great Disney Scavenger
    Hunt, and if so, when?
    We’ve done two fantastic hunts and had a blast putting them together. At the
    moment, we don’t have plans for the next Great Disney Scavenger Hunt as all
    our efforts are focused on making the D23 Expo as incredible as possible.

Malin asks: Is ABC doing anything at the Expo?
    Why yes, Malin. Yes they are!

Malin asks: What part of the [Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit] is the Disney Geek most looking forward to?
    That’s a tough one! I cannot wait to see the 23-foot model of the Black Pearl
    from Pirates of the Caribbean on the show floor. Talk about a piece of Disney
    iconography! And the exhibit upstairs is going to be bursting with cool things. I’m
    sure you’ve heard it’s 12,000-square-feet—double the size of the exhibit in 2009!
    I am a huge fan of LOST, so I can’t wait to see that exhibit. The historic pieces of
    Mickey Mouse memorabilia are so cute! And I can’t wait to see all the art created
    by our members that’s going to be displayed in the Fan Art Gallery—themed
    to the House of de Vil in honor of 101 Dalmatian’s 50th anniversary. In short,
    there’s not much I’m not looking forward to.

Malin asks: Can you drop any hints to the surprise guests who may be
    making an appearance this year?
    Now Malin, if we even hint at who they are, that won’t be much of a surprise!
    Let’s just say the list is unbelievable and getting bigger and better with each
    passing day! Whether you love movies, Disney Channel or are a fan of all the
    creative talent behind the magic at Disney, this year’s roster of talent—both
    announced and surprising—will not fail to impress.

Nancy asks: How will the entrance to events be divided for smooth
    separation of Regular, Premier and Sorcerer Attendees?
    No one is “regular” at the D23 Expo! Those guests who have purchased
    Premiere and Sorcerer packages will receive special laminates when they check
    in—as well as instructions on how to get their reserved seating in the venues.

Cidbliq asks: Any thoughts on the Trivia Contest?
    If by “trivia contest” you mean, The Ultimate Disney Trivia Tournament presented
    by Hasbro’s Trivial Pursuit Disney for All Edition, we have lots of thoughts—
    mainly, brush up on your Disney trivia and make sure you’re at the Anaheim
    Convention Center on August 18 at 7:30 a.m. to enter! Our team has participated
    in several tests for the Tournament and it’s going to be both a blast to compete
    in AND to watch. We suggest brushing up on your Disney A-Z as the contest will
    include every single part of Disney. Besides, it’s totally worth a shot to win the
    special preview cruise on the Disney Fantasy, right? [EDITORS NOTE: Perhaps Ludwig Von Drake can be of some assistance to you Cidbliq]

Abominable Snowman asks: What kind of events are being planned for
    D23 members who live outside of the LA and Orlando areas? And… When
    D23 started there were lots of free events, will there be more of them in the future?
    Hi, Mr. Snowman! We are always looking at different locations when dreaming up
    member events. Hopefully you’ve noticed that within the past year, we’ve held
    events in Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington DC, New York City and
    Orem, Utah. There are a few things that we look at when planning events including
    size, costs, quality and location. While we’d love to do events every weekend all
    around the country, we are sometimes challenged by these factors. Because we
    are in Burbank, the historic Walt Disney Studios Lot is a great place for us to host
    events for our members. Our proximity to Disneyland Resort makes it easier to
    host events in that area—like the D23 Expo. And the existing infrastructure at Walt
    Disney World Resort enables us to do events like Destination D and Sip and Stroll.
    We are continuing to develop events for members outside the Los Angeles and Orlando areas. As for free events, we try to make as many of our events as possible free or very low cost, like the “50 and Fabulous” screening series, the Bambi and Fantasia events we held in Chicago and Boston respectively, our screenings of Secretariat, Jake and the Never Land Pirates and Camp Rock 2 and of
    course, our Member Mixer and Tweet Meets are free.

NurseMelis374 asks: The first anniversary party at Disneyland was a lot of
    fun. Will there ever be another event like this?
    We’re so glad you enjoyed yourself! “Ever” is a long time! Right now, we haven’t
    announced any plans for a similar event. That said, we take member feedback
    very seriously when planning upcoming events—and yes, we are frequent
    MiceChat visitors along with many other fan sites we scour to get the buzz.

CarlMichael asks: Why can't we take pictures at the D23 Expo in the Walt
    Disney Archives?
    Like many museums across the world, we are working to protect the specialness
    of the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit and create a relaxed
    environment in which guests can enjoy the displays. We will once again offer
    a beautiful exhibition catalog, which includes stunning pictures of the items
    featured this year.

Figaro asks: When will the full schedule be out? And . . . Are the panel rooms larger this time to accommodate more guests?
    As with many similar large-scale events, the complete schedule won’t be
    posted until about a week before the event. As each part of Disney makes their
    announcements, we release more and more information with regard to times,
    dates and locations, which will hopefully guide guests in making their plans. We
    want to make sure everything is locked down before guests start sketching out
    their days. And there are three panel rooms this year. The Arena seats 4,000
    guests, Stage 23 seats 750 guests and Stage 28 seats 500. Overall, this is an
    increase in seating for our non-Arena panels. We do still encourage guests to
    plan their time wisely if they wish to secure seats in Stages 23 and 28.

Cidbliq asks: Where is ABC?

Nunz asks: Ditto with the ABC question.
    Wow, who knew there was so much love for ABC here on MiceChat? LOL. After all of your questions were asked, ABC released their schedule for the Expo! You can read all about it in this MiceChat discussion: ABC Announces D23 Expo plans - Prep And Landing 2, Once Upon A Time Screenings

Roger55 asks: I think the D23 Expo would be a great opportunity for
    holding the first ever "Disney Geek Squad"™ meet. You pick the time and
    location, and I'll help spread the word. Are ya in?
    Wow, Roger, didn’t know we were all trademarked and everything! Let’s just
    say, we hope you follow us on Twitter. (And we will be activating the Twitter
    account @D23Expo for updates, questions and announcements about the
    Expo—so start following us there as well as @DisneyD23!)

ArtisticDoodle asked about the autograph signing policy posted on the D23
    Expo website, which states that the items signed by talent must be purchased at the Expo that day.
    The autograph guideline applies to the signings held in the Disney Living pavilion
    stage and in the D23 Meet and Greet areas with Disney authors and artists who
    are showcasing their latest work. For example, the talent signings for Disney
    Channel and Radio Disney do not require purchasing merchandise on the day of
    the event. Hope this helps!

ThisIsHalloween asks: Can we get an AP discount at the D23 EXPO DREAM
    STORE?
    Hello spooky one! Yes, Disneyland and Walt Disney World Annual Passholder
    discounts will be honored at the D23 Expo Dream Store. Please be aware many
    other locations will not honor the discount.

Timekeeper asks: Are some of the more popular panels from the last
    D23 Expo (like the film panels), and the DL & WDW Destination D events
    (like the Magic Journeys Panel), coming to this year's D23 Expo?
    We can tell that, like us, you love Disney’s amazing rich history! While we will
    have the already-announced Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering panel hosted
    by Disney Legend Marty Sklar, much of the Expo is about looking forward at all
    the exciting things on the horizon at Disney. We created the Destination D events
    to celebrate Disney’s legacy—and will continue to do so!

Abominable Snowman asks: What D23 perks and discounts are there for
    the Disney resorts that don't duplicate the Annual Passholder discounts?
    We actually have quite a few unique offers. We just announced that D23
    Members are able to receive a 20% discount on membership to the Aquarium of
    the Pacific. And members are eligible for terrific discounts on collectibles and art
    from eFX and Sanders Art Studio, as well as a 20% discount on all purchases
    from the ABC TV Store. We also have limited-time offers like our discounts to the
    Newport Beach and Plaza Classic Film Festivals, the touring production of Mary
    Poppins and on select pieces from Walt Disney Signature. You can see all our
    current offers here: D23 Special Offers « Disney D23

Twinkie Bell asks: Will there ever be D23 events in Tokyo Disneyland or
    Tokyo Disney Sea?
    We are always looking at new event opportunities, so you never know! An event
    in Tokyo sounds pretty fantastic!

10/6 asks: On the Walt Disney Studios Tour Jeffrey mentioned they are in
    the middle of a BIGGER scavenger/trivia hunt. He encouraged us to buy the Disney Encyclopedia and basically memorize it.
    Hey 10/6, I actually was talking about the Ultimate Disney Trivia Tournament
    taking place at the Expo, not another Great Disney Scavenger Hunt. (See
    my above response to Cidbliq.) However, our friends at Disney Corporate
    Citizenship will be hosting a hunt through the Expo for some fun prizes, so you
    will want to visit their pavilion!

MickeyFanForever asks: Can we meet the Disney Legends after the
    ceremony?
    While there won’t be a formal meet and greet for the new Disney Legends after
    the ceremony, they are all invited to stay and enjoy the Expo, so you may see
    them on the show floor!
    Thanks so much for all of your questions—and to MiceChat for hosting the
    Geek! We are looking forward to seeing you all at the D23 Expo—and at D23
    events throughout the year. For more details on the Expo and to purchase
    tickets, visit
    D23 Expo.com.

EDITORS NOTE: We would like to thank D23 and the Disney Geek for taking the time to answer the questions of their best fans. MiceChat will be hosting a booth in the Collectors Forum area of the D23 Expo. We invite you to stop by and say hello, you might just win one of over a thousand prizes we have to give away!

Please note that the questions above and interview were edited for length and readability.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 08-02-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Disney Trivia God

Re: GeekChat - The Disney Geek Answers YOUR Questions About the D23 Expo and D23

Thanks Dusty, for putting this together. And thanks to Jeffrey for his honest answers.

Re: GeekChat - The Disney Geek Answers YOUR Questions About the D23 Expo and D23

Thanks!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I had no idea that we'd get discounts at the Dream Store. I wouldn't even have thought to ask.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

I'm pretty disappointed with Jeffery's answer in regards to taking pictures at the archives exhibit. I feel like people will just brush it off and take pictures anyway when, as someone who studied/worked in the museum field, the flashes from photography will actually damage items--especially costumes made of natural fibers. For example, this is why the Star Spangled Banner exhibit at the Smithsonian is practically pitch black and has very special lightbulbs in place--any light will further degrade the already very old fabric!

I hope people keep this in mind at the D23 exhibit and at other museums--those signs aren't posted just for decoration!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Well, that gives me hope about what may be coming for the rest of the fans. Thank you, Dusty.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Thank you Dusty and DisneyGeek for giving us the dl on D23!

I'm pretty bummed that there won't be anything for Pretty Little Liars at the Expo...I'm kind of surprised, considering that it's such a highly-rated show and a big success for ABC...

• Minion

thank you dusty i know jeffery hes a verry good persion
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

Question - How come I am getting charged a $2.50 shipping fee on my tickets if I have to go to will call to pick them up?

• Tahitian Terrace alum

Thanks, Jeffrey, for all the information... Can't wait to go. Thanks Dusty/MiceChat team for arranging this Q&A!

ThisIsHalloween asks: Can we get an AP discount at the D23 EXPO DREAM
    STORE?
    Hello spooky one! Yes, Disneyland and Walt Disney World Annual Passholder
    discounts will be honored at the D23 Expo Dream Store. Please be aware many
    other locations will not honor the discount.
    OMG SO SOOO SOO HAPPY TO HEAR THIS!!! THANK YOU MICECHAT FOR HOSTING THIS Q&A AND THANKS MR. EPSTEIN!!! THIS DEFIANTLY WILL HELP WITH MY BUDGET!