Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

D23 Expo Question: The Lines - Stories, Advice etc.

This'll be my first time going to the D23 Expo, so hearing the horror stories from some about lining up I was curious to know everyone's thoughts on lining up outside of the convention center before the Expo opened and also just more advice on lining up in general.

To note I'm no spring chicken when it comes lining up since I've been going to 35 thousand person Anime conventions for years, but at the same time I'm not sure how crazy D23 Expo will be in comparison. Anything would be helpful since I just have a general ticket and won't be able to get into D23 till 10AM *And wanna make it for those Arena panels!*
    Check out my blog Magic Ala Mode: The Blog for the Grown Up Disney Gal!

http://magicalamode.blogspot.com/

Officially online at 8/25/2011

• Disney Trivia God

Re: D23 Expo Question: The Lines - Stories, Advice etc.

If you can't get in before 10:00 and you want to make the Arena shows, you'll want to bolt straight for the Arena line once you get through the door. The really popular shows (Legends, Parks & Resorts, WD Studios) will have massive lines, but remember - that Arena holds 4,000 people. Once the doors open the line will move fairly quickly, unless they're doing camera checks.

If there is a chance that the crowd outweighs the seating capacity, I suspect that a CM or someone will start warning the "end of the liners" that they may not get in. You'll see this with some of the small presentations on Stage 23 and Stage 28 for sure, and possibly at the Arena.

It all comes down to supply (of seats) and demand (of us crazed fans). The fire dept. will limit capacity, so don't expect a lot of SRO.

As far as lining up outside goes, it's really anyone's guess. I imagine that by 10:00 most of the D23 members who wanted to be there early will have already gone through the door, so the crowd shouldn't be *that* bad. But you never know -- a last minute surge could happen. So plan accordingly, have fun, and don't panic.

• Best Buds

I'm a bit confused about the cell phone/camera policy. I understand the parts about not using photography in lot of placed. Check. Got it. But the part about nothing being allowed in during the film presentations threw me. Am I going to have to go back to my hotel, drop off my camera and phone and come back to the convention? I may be misunderstanding this, as I can't possibly believe every single person will be doing that.
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• Disney Trivia God

Quote Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
    I'm a bit confused about the cell phone/camera policy. I understand the parts about not using photography in lot of placed. Check. Got it. But the part about nothing being allowed in during the film presentations threw me. Am I going to have to go back to my hotel, drop off my camera and phone and come back to the convention? I may be misunderstanding this, as I can't possibly believe every single person will be doing that.
    Oh, believe it. Not only will you have to check your electronics, they'll have guys with hand-held metal detectors at the doors to make sure you didn't "accidently forget" to turn in your phone. Last time they also had guys dressed in black with their pants tucked into their boots patrolling the seating, looking for anyone who happened to get a camera through. (Yeah, real "Disney" there, guys...)

I understand they're wanting to maintain control of their unreleased, copyrighted materials, but c'mon -- we're Disney fans. We're not out to hurt the Company we just paid big bucks to come see. Hopefully the whole camera check at the door scenario goes much smoother this time, and the security goons with their jackboots have been retired.

For the shows that require electronics to be checked in, they'll have tables set up in the lobby, where they'll take your stuff and give you a claim ticket to pick it up at the end. No need to take your stuff back to the hotel, unless you're more comfortable leaving it there instead of at the check-in. You'll then get wanded before entering the Arena -- just like TSA, only without the involuntary groping.

The lines last time were often long to pick up your stuff afterwards; I'd recommend finding a seat closer to the doors if possible so that you can be one of the first to claim your camera.

So far they are only saying you can't bring your camera into the Studios presentation. Do NOT leave early to get out to go get your phone. Last time when Dick Cook said, "OK, thanks for coming..." my friend and I jumped up to go get into the phone retrieval line, then when we heard the Pirates music and saw that silhouette of the Pirate ship hustled back to our seat..had we left a couple minutes earlier we would have missed Johnny Depp. It is DISNEY..expect surprises.

• Best Buds

Thanks for the replies folks. Being prepared helps!
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• Tahitian Terrace alum

Parking question: would it be possible to park at the Toy Story lot and walk over? Or would that not be allowed (or just dumb, if it is a long walk)? Money is tight nowadays, so trying to see if there is a way to leverage my AP to save some money. Thanks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by magicalamode View Post
    This'll be my first time going to the D23 Expo, so hearing the horror stories from some about lining up I was curious to know everyone's thoughts on lining up outside of the convention center before the Expo opened and also just more advice on lining up in general.

To note I'm no spring chicken when it comes lining up since I've been going to 35 thousand person Anime conventions for years, but at the same time I'm not sure how crazy D23 Expo will be in comparison. Anything would be helpful since I just have a general ticket and won't be able to get into D23 till 10AM *And wanna make it for those Arena panels!*
    You really don't have to line up early in the front of the Convention Center. You should get there at like 9:30-9:45 and hang out until they open it. If you really want to see the Arena presentation from good seats, then right at 10 you should head over to the Arena waiting area. If you don't really care where you sit, like me, then you can get there like 30-40 minutes before the start of the presentations. For the smaller stages (23 and 28), you'll probably need to wait in line for about an hour before each of those panels/presentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolc View Post
    Parking question: would it be possible to park at the Toy Story lot and walk over? Or would that not be allowed (or just dumb, if it is a long walk)? Money is tight nowadays, so trying to see if there is a way to leverage my AP to save some money. Thanks.
    I'm 99% sure you can. 1. Disney has no way of knowing you whether you're in the Parks or not 2. You're still giving Disney money, so it shouldn't matter.

---------- Post added 08-12-2011 at 12:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
    A lot of people have answered your question already, but here is what the D23 Expo site says:

The Walt Disney Studios presentation in the D23 Arena will be monitored for unauthorized recording. Mobile phones and recording devices are strictly forbidden. Security will be on hand to check electronics at the door. You will be subject to removal from the theater for any suspicion of mobile phone or recording device use. Unauthorized recording will be reported to law enforcement and may subject to criminal and civil liability.
    So it looks like only the Walt Disney Studios presentation will have the electronics check in.

I'm not a D23 member does that mean that I won't be able to get onto the Arena line (for the Saturday morning Disney Studios Panel) until 10am on Saturday? I was told by someone else that the arena line was separate from the rest of the Expo.. but everything I'm hearing here says different.

I just want to know how much of a chance we have of getting into the Arena if we aren't D23 members. and if we'll have to be lining up outside the arena.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JenG View Post
    I'm not a D23 member does that mean that I won't be able to get onto the Arena line (for the Saturday morning Disney Studios Panel) until 10am on Saturday? I was told by someone else that the arena line was separate from the rest of the Expo.. but everything I'm hearing here says different.

I just want to know how much of a chance we have of getting into the Arena if we aren't D23 members. and if we'll have to be lining up outside the arena.
    Okay, D23 members can enter the Expo at 9. Non-members at 10. The line for the arena is inside the Convention Center, not outside. If you enter the Expo at 10 and go straight to the line for the area, you will get in.

I am a D23 member and I'm not going to line up for the arena until about 45 minutes before the presentations. The arena is very big and not a single person was turned away last time. You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Okay, D23 members can enter the Expo at 9. Non-members at 10. The line for the arena is inside the Convention Center, not outside. If you enter the Expo at 10 and go straight to the line for the area, you will get in.

I am a D23 member and I'm not going to line up for the arena until about 45 minutes before the presentations. The arena is very big and not a single person was turned away last time. You'll be fine.
    Thank you so much for answering! I'm taking my brother and it's the one thing he won't stop talking about. lol So I just want to make sure he sees it. This was the exact info I was looking for.

Hello! First let me say THANK YOU ALL OF YOU THIS THREAD IS VERYHELPFUL! Just have a question about checking in electronics, where will they be checked in? Like right at the door or before it? For example, when we need to check our things in will we have to get out of line into another line? Or will they be checking in things before we get to the door so we have a better chance at a good seat?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jermboxs View Post
    Hello! First let me say THANK YOU ALL OF YOU THIS THREAD IS VERYHELPFUL! Just have a question about checking in electronics, where will they be checked in? Like right at the door or before it? For example, when we need to check our things in will we have to get out of line into another line? Or will they be checking in things before we get to the door so we have a better chance at a good seat?
    Everyone will queue up for the Studios presentation, single file, in the Arena queue area. When the start to let you in, you will hand in all electronics before entering the door. You do not need to get into another line. If you are the first person in line for the presentation, you will be the first person to check in your electronics and the first person to get their seat. If you are 456 in line, you will be the 456 person to check in your electronics and the 456 person to find your seat.

I hope that's what you were looking for.

• I also like Stitch!

I've got a story. At the WoC Presentation at the way to small Storytellers Theater, I was one of the people Steve invited to sit in front.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    everyone will queue up for the studios presentation, single file, in the arena queue area. When the start to let you in, you will hand in all electronics before entering the door. You do not need to get into another line. If you are the first person in line for the presentation, you will be the first person to check in your electronics and the first person to get their seat. If you are 456 in line, you will be the 456 person to check in your electronics and the 456 person to find your seat.

I hope that's what you were looking for.
    yes! Thank you so much! That is exactly what i meant!!! Thank you so much! Can't wait! I only have general admission so hopefully i can get a seat!!!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast