Thread: Tips!

Smile Tips!

Hello all! Just have a quick question. I'm new to the expo and want to get the best experience I can get out of it because I'm only going only one day (Saturday is the only day I could get off). And have been researching all kinds tips from message boards, to just looking at photos, to the twitter account of the expo (speaking of that account, I saw they tweeted "For those of you who asked, you can pick-up your lanyard and Guide Book at the #D23Expo on the day(s) for which you purchased tickets." Does anyone know what the lanyard is?) In all I just wanted to start this thread for anyone who has previously been to the expo can post some tips, stories, and anything else that will be good to know for first-timers like myself! Thank you to you if you read all my gibberish! lol and Here's to a wonderful expo this year!

• Minion

Re: Tips!

Well there are a lot! haha

First off, don't expect to do everything. The D23 Expo is massive. Last time, we only went for 1 day, but we bought 3 day tickets this time because there is just so much to do. With that said, it's a lot of fun!

If you want to go to one of the panels in Stages 23 or 28, you'll need to line up at least 45 minutes in advanced. If you want to go to one of the presentations in the Arena, you could get in line just before the start of the presentation. The Arena is huge, so even if you enter a minute before it starts, you'll still find a seat in the back. In the arena, they also have large screens so you can easily see who's talking on stage. Sitting on the ground level is really not necessary unless you want to.

As for the Pavilions, last time the Parks and Resorts pavilion was exceptional. From the things they have released this year, it looks like it'll end up being great again. I'm also looking forward to the Animation Studios and Archives pavilions. Both should be great. Another cool addition is the D23 Expo Talent Round-Up. If you see someone that interests you on the schedule, then make sure to stop by. I'm sure they'll be willing to sign anything you have and talk to you.

Food-wise, the Expo's food wasn't very good. It's done by a 3rd party and it's even worse than Disneyland food. I would suggest making the 2 minute walk across the promenade to the Anaheim Hilton where they have a Baja Fresh and Sbarro. I think I'll end up taking a 15 or 20 minute lunch break everyday there before heading back for the Expo.

Another thing about presentations are the choices. This year, it seems like everything I'm interested in is overlapping with another presentation that I'm interested in. My advice is to look at the Pros of each presentation and see what you think will end up being better. For example, I am totally torn between Tom Staggs's Parks and Resorts presentation and the "it's a small world" panel featuring Tony Baxter, Kim Irvine, Alice Davis, and Dick Sherman. Because the Parks and Resorts presentation will be so heavily attended and recorded, I think I'll end up going to the "it's a small world" one because I'll be able to watch the Parks and Resorts presentation later on YouTube.

If you are into merchandise, then the D23 Expo is not to be missed! They release a ton of limited edition and exclusive merchandise. There will probably even be lines forming outside the convention center early in the morning to get these items of merch. If that is your thing, then I suggest getting there early!

To answer your question about the lanyards, they are your holders for you tickets. Last year they distributed wrist bands. This year it looks like you just have to put your ticket in the lanyard and wear it around, much like how some people put their Disneyland APs in a lanyard.

I hope this is the type of stuff you were looking for! Have fun at the Expo and maybe I'll see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Well there are a lot! haha

First off, don't expect to do everything. The D23 Expo is massive. Last time, we only went for 1 day, but we bought 3 day tickets this time because there is just so much to do. With that said, it's a lot of fun!

If you want to go to one of the panels in Stages 23 or 28, you'll need to line up at least 45 minutes in advanced. If you want to go to one of the presentations in the Arena, you could get in line just before the start of the presentation. The Arena is huge, so even if you enter a minute before it starts, you'll still find a seat in the back. In the arena, they also have large screens so you can easily see who's talking on stage. Sitting on the ground level is really not necessary unless you want to.

As for the Pavilions, last time the Parks and Resorts pavilion was exceptional. From the things they have released this year, it looks like it'll end up being great again. I'm also looking forward to the Animation Studios and Archives pavilions. Both should be great. Another cool addition is the D23 Expo Talent Round-Up. If you see someone that interests you on the schedule, then make sure to stop by. I'm sure they'll be willing to sign anything you have and talk to you.

Food-wise, the Expo's food wasn't very good. It's done by a 3rd party and it's even worse than Disneyland food. I would suggest making the 2 minute walk across the promenade to the Anaheim Hilton where they have a Baja Fresh and Sbarro. I think I'll end up taking a 15 or 20 minute lunch break everyday there before heading back for the Expo.

Another thing about presentations are the choices. This year, it seems like everything I'm interested in is overlapping with another presentation that I'm interested in. My advice is to look at the Pros of each presentation and see what you think will end up being better. For example, I am totally torn between Tom Staggs's Parks and Resorts presentation and the "it's a small world" panel featuring Tony Baxter, Kim Irvine, Alice Davis, and Dick Sherman. Because the Parks and Resorts presentation will be so heavily attended and recorded, I think I'll end up going to the "it's a small world" one because I'll be able to watch the Parks and Resorts presentation later on YouTube.

If you are into merchandise, then the D23 Expo is not to be missed! They release a ton of limited edition and exclusive merchandise. There will probably even be lines forming outside the convention center early in the morning to get these items of merch. If that is your thing, then I suggest getting there early!

To answer your question about the lanyards, they are your holders for you tickets. Last year they distributed wrist bands. This year it looks like you just have to put your ticket in the lanyard and wear it around, much like how some people put their Disneyland APs in a lanyard.

I hope this is the type of stuff you were looking for! Have fun at the Expo and maybe I'll see you there!
    I swear you are the most HELPFUL person on here! Thank you so much! You totally gave me so much incite on what to expect! Just have another quick question for you. I'm REALLY big on souvenirs and special merchandise and I know people go crazy for those pins and I like them but am not that focused on getting one because they might sell out. On my list is pretty much just a D23 ear-hat and a sweater that says D23 Expo 2011. Personally do you think they will sell out of those items fast? Because I've been doing my research and I've been reading that it's a LONG line to get back your electronics you've checked in, also read that just getting into the Dream Store is a long wait too! And I'll be doing the Walt Disney Studios panel and that isn't over until 1 plus I'll have to get my checked in stuff back so that's a whole-other wait! Hopefully we run into each other!

• Timelord

The sweaters probably won't sell out quickly. (Except for larger sizes)

The ear hats could be hit or miss, depending on the volume Disney expects to sell. I'd assume they will be in stock at least on the Friday though, hopefully on Saturday as well if you're lucky =)

• Disney Trivia God

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post

I'm really glad that they switched to lanyards over the wristbands this time. Someone must've figured out that they'd sell more pins if people had lanyards on, huh? Regardless, it's going to be a lot more comfortable to wear for 3 days than a wristband.

Quote Originally Posted by isny View Post
    The sweaters probably won't sell out quickly. (Except for larger sizes)

The ear hats could be hit or miss, depending on the volume Disney expects to sell. I'd assume they will be in stock at least on the Friday though, hopefully on Saturday as well if you're lucky =)
    Here's hoping! I mean it is only the second day! Hopefully Disney thought about this and said to themselves "We can have such a popular item sell-out completely and not be available on one of the expo days"! Thank you very much to all of you giving me tips and advice on what to expect! Means a lot!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jermboxs View Post
    I swear you are the most HELPFUL person on here! Thank you so much! You totally gave me so much incite on what to expect! Just have another quick question for you. I'm REALLY big on souvenirs and special merchandise and I know people go crazy for those pins and I like them but am not that focused on getting one because they might sell out. On my list is pretty much just a D23 ear-hat and a sweater that says D23 Expo 2011. Personally do you think they will sell out of those items fast? Because I've been doing my research and I've been reading that it's a LONG line to get back your electronics you've checked in, also read that just getting into the Dream Store is a long wait too! And I'll be doing the Walt Disney Studios panel and that isn't over until 1 plus I'll have to get my checked in stuff back so that's a whole-other wait! Hopefully we run into each other!
    Thank you!

As for the sweatshirts and earhat, you'll be fine. The stuff that runs out are the limited edition pins, statues, collectibles, and stuff like that. But the D23 Expo souvenirs, like the clothes and earhats, will most likely be around all weekend. They won't run out.

My biggest piece of advice is have a game plan, and then have a back up plan. Familiarize yourself with where things are so you don't end up wandering aimlessly. Are you attending with someone? If you are, my advice would be at the arena to bundle your electronics in one bag and have one of you pick it up while the other goes on to the next panel. Having an Expo buddy can be a real help. But don't leave the presentation until the lights come up. A bunch of people did that last time for the Studio presentation and are kicking themselves for doing so. Above all else, be open to try new and different things. You may be surprised. And oh yeah, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeychick62 View Post
    My biggest piece of advice is have a game plan, and then have a back up plan. Familiarize yourself with where things are so you don't end up wandering aimlessly. Are you attending with someone? If you are, my advice would be at the arena to bundle your electronics in one bag and have one of you pick it up while the other goes on to the next panel. Having an Expo buddy can be a real help. But don't leave the presentation until the lights come up. A bunch of people did that last time for the Studio presentation and are kicking themselves for doing so. Above all else, be open to try new and different things. You may be surprised. And oh yeah, have fun!
    Thanks so much for the advice! Sadly I'm going alone! No one has the day off with me lol! Well expect for the parents but I don't think they'll like to come haha! Because I'm there only for the Saturday, the 10:30am Arena panel of Walt Disney Studios is something I HAVE TO DO because that's piratically the only thing going on in there that day!

• Minion

Because I'm there only for the Saturday, the 10:30am Arena panel of Walt Disney Studios is something I HAVE TO DO because that's piratically the only thing going on in there that day!
    If you're only there one day, then I would suggest that you arrive at the Convention Center right at 10am (9 if you're a D23 member) and go straight to the Arena queue. After the Studios presentation, then I would recommend that you take advantage of the show floor. There is so much to explore and do in the different pavilions. If you really want to get in a presentation/panel or 2 then definitely queue up at least 45 minutes before because some of the panels on Saturday will draw massive crowds like John Lasseter's Pixar panel, the Buena Vista Street panel, and the Imagineering Legends panel.

• Disney Trivia God

Thanks so much for the advice! Sadly I'm going alone! No one has the day off with me lol!
    I wouldn't sweat it -- there's going to be a lot of us flying solo. But I found last time that a smile and saying hello will bring you tons of instant friends. After all, you're hanging with 45,000 of your closest friends, all with the same interests as you.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cidbliq View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it -- there's going to be a lot of us flying solo. But I found last time that a smile and saying hello will bring you tons of instant friends. After all, you're hanging with 45,000 of your closest friends, all with the same interests as you.
    This!!! FTW!!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

I agree with all of this except one..the last tme the Arena could be gotten into at the last minute, but only because the crowds were not that huge. If they have a better trunout, then the Arena could easily fill up and people be turned away. The Arena que is visible from the show floor, so watch the line and if it looks like it may be getting too large, then bolt over there.

I am also torn between Parks and Small World..I am really thinking of leaving the Parks one to get to Small World...never want to leave a presentation, but this one is just too hard to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by nunz View Post
    I agree with all of this except one..the last tme the Arena could be gotten into at the last minute, but only because the crowds were not that huge. If they have a better trunout, then the Arena could easily fill up and people be turned away. The Arena que is visible from the show floor, so watch the line and if it looks like it may be getting too large, then bolt over there.

I am also torn between Parks and Small World..I am really thinking of leaving the Parks one to get to Small World...never want to leave a presentation, but this one is just too hard to pick.
    I believe in 2009 the Arena held 10,000 people, but they have changed that for this year so that it will only hold 4,000 people. I expect the Arena presentations to fill up rather quickly.

Last edited by RSoxNo1; 08-17-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Co-Host of the WDW Fan Boys Podcast

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by RSoxNo1 View Post
    I believe in 2009 the Arena held 10,000 people, but they have changed that for this year so that it will only hold 4,000 people. I expect the Arena presentations to fill up rather quickly.

The arena's maximum capacity is 7500 and that is without the stage which takes up a lot of the seating and viewing areas. Last year's seating was probably around the same 4000 that they say they will have this year.

Welcome to the Anaheim Convention Center