Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

Al's D23 Expo Observations

Hiya folks! I usually don't post in the forums, but will be doing so for this event. The idea here is just to use this as a notebook for observations, to let you know of anything that is worth a special look, and if there's anything that, well, you just might to pass on.

As many of you know I collect the diecast Cars line. While the second movie is just awful (and I'm saving lots of money not buying them) there are a few collectible items worth seeking out.

One is the Finn car done just for the event, but what really impressed me was a giveaway car you got as a bonus with purchase. Classy. Pic below.

Will post as I can, in particular after I see the parks and resorts pavilion.

Thanks in advance for being patient as I master this software.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp
    iOS

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Al's D23 Expo Observations

Oh nice! Now I might have to buy it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries
    If you want to know why the Disney company is the behemoth it is you only need to see the line for the merchandise. This photo only shows about half of it.

One thing that stands out about this second Expo is just how much more the company is selling to you directly, whereas last time it was more of a showcase. I suspect Disney fans wouldn't want it any other way.

Virtual Disneyland Virtually Nintendo. Thankfully the real thing is just across the street.

One of the nice things about the Expo is that Disney is making many of the people who work on their various offerings available for questions as you visit the various booths.

For example, I collect bluray discs and was interested in the second screen technology Disney has been promoting At a demo stand a staffer came over to me and asked if I had any questions.

He was very patient with my questions and concerns and eventually it came out that he was involved in the production of the discs.

While I'm sure he probably would choose a much less hectic venue, I appreciated he let me bend his ear. It certainly was an experience that is increasingly rare for consumers.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp
    iOS

• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries
    The p&r presentation was fun. But other than being a showcase for tom Skaggs very charming / quirky sense of humor, it just recapped all the current projects. Nice to get a better look at cars land though.

Will post more later, but be sure to check out all our D23 coverage from everyone else on the site today.
    iOS

• Nerd

over all opinion of D23 this year. Not as good as last time. Disney did not PLUS this event.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    over all opinion of D23 this year. Not as good as last time. Disney did not PLUS this event.
    I agree. It's kinda sucky this time around. Although Tom Staggs was WAY better than Rasulo!!

Oh, Al, will you EVER be satisfied?

I'm curious to know about the crowd levels. Last year, the first day got off to a very SLOW start, but I'm hearing from others that this year it's nicely crowded, that the word got out about the event. What say you?

---------- Post added 08-19-2011 at 09:14 PM ----------

My apologies, it was another poster who said it wasn't as good as last time. Sorry, Al!

Al thanks for the update I always like to read your updates. I am said that there is no news about tomorrowland and fronterland.

• Minion

Any gossip about Tomorrowland or Frontierland?

• Become part of MY world!

I also didn't think this year was as exciting. There was WAY less to do! And about twice as many people! I spent 3 solid hours in lines without much payoff(I didn't even get to go into the p and r presentation, cause there wasn't enough room, there were THOUSANDS of people in the stand by line that didn't get in, they could have at least prod cast the presentation outside or something). Also the Imagineering pavilion didn't have much to see. They had WAY more stuff to look at last year, ad destini is NOT worth waiting in line for literally 45 mins. He does the same thing for everyone, "Hi, whats you name? Cool, look in the crystal ball[takes pictures of you] you will be famous!" prints sticker, next! And half of that pavilion was taken over by DVC and Adventures booths! Oh and not to mention they cluttered the expo with shops EVERYWHERE! I don't think there was a place where there was something to buy. Oh and a lot less freebees. Overall disappointed. But I still want there to be more expos. The voices of Disneyland panel was LOADS fun, they need more stuff like that. Hoping next expo will be better.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Done waiting!!

The Dick Van Dyke show was late but AMAZING! I don't know what everyone else is talking about because I've enjoyed this one a lot more than the last Expo.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries
    Back for a second day, which is sold out The place is crazy because the rumor is that A Very Big Movie Star will make an appearance. We'll see.
    iOS

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz View Post
    Back for a second day, which is sold out The place is crazy because the rumor is that A Very Big Movie Star will make an appearance. We'll see.
    You say that, Al, as if Dick Van Dyke wasn't big enough. Just kidding.

• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries
    Finally made it into the p&r pavilion. Terrific opening film montage. Why aren't these folks helping the marketing dept with their memories campaign?

I wish I was more interested in the DisneyWorld Fantasyland model. A quick glance is all you need of it. A necessary reworking of that area, but there's no single E-ticket-level that would steal the magic from Harry.

Of course the big thing to see here is the Cars Land display. Smaller, but no less diminished from the last Expo, this time you get to see more of the cars themselves. Mater's tractors showcase the incredible level of detailing that make this project so expensive.

Continued...

What I quickly noticed was the high-backed seats to better keep you in place as you are swung around.

My favorite car at the display, Ray, demonstrated the key element behind the success of this franchise, the windshield eyes. In this case a backlit projection brought to life with some vivid animation.
    iOS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz View Post
    Finally made it into the p&r pavilion. Terrific opening film montage. Why aren't these folks helping the marketing dept with their memories campaign?
    Al, It's Imagineer Tom Morris who had the idea and designed the P&R pre-show film, that's why it's so good. Tom, who was the show producer of DLP Fantasyland and Castle is also show producer of Cars Land. I've never seen anything bad from him, including HKDL where he was the main show producer and did his best with the money available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast