• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

D23 Discounts - Membership has its privileges - And one misstep

Just got a note today from D23 about the revived discounts they offer at a variety of locations. For the most part, this is a good list of deals for members. . . with one potentially infuriating exception.

D23 Members can expect to find all sorts of new discounts from retailers and attractions:

• $23 off orders of $149 or more at online retailer Brookstone.com
    • 15% savings on videogame entertainment from THQ
    • A 10% discount on services offered by SuperShuttle and ExecuCar nationwide, including service to Southern California and Central Florida airports
    • The IMAX Theater at the California Science Center in Los Angeles
    • Madame Tussauds Hollywood
    • 10% off purchases at Two Scoops Ice Cream Parlor in Ko’olina, Hawaii, close to Disney's Aulani Resort & Spa
    • Savings of 10% on a Ride-Along or Driving Experience at Richard Petty Driving Experience at Walt Disney World® Speedway in Florida
    • At Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, save $10 on any purchase of $50 or more

They have also added discounts to the Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan presidential libraries, which we find strange. I can't understand why D23 would think that it is smart to flaunt a conservative political agenda without balancing out the bias by offering access to the libraries of Democrat presidents as well. Probably smart for D23 to avoid the politial trap and remove the affiliation or at least appear to be non-partisan.

There are also many continuing offers and deals, such as:

• A 10% discount on services at all Mandara Spa locations worldwide, including spas at the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts
    • D23-exclusive pricing and offers for tickets to Mary Poppins on Broadway and The Lion King in Las Vegas
    • D23 Member offers from ESPN Zone in Anaheim and The House of Blues at the Walt Disney World Resort
    • D23 Member pricing at ESPN’s upcoming 76 Classic men’s basketball NCAA tournament in Anaheim
    • Savings of 20% on items purchased at the ABC TV Online Store
    • Plus a host of other special D23 Member discounts, offers and benefits.

Full details regarding D23 Member benefits and special offers can be found at Disney D23.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 11-01-2011 at 09:25 AM.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: D23 Discounts - Membership has its privileges - And one misstep

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    They have also added discounts to the Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan presidential libraries, which we find strange. I can't understand why D23 would think that it is smart to flaunt a conservative political agenda without balancing out the bias by offering access to the libraries of Democrat presidents as well.
    Could it be because of both former presidents having played a part in Disneyland's opening day & Monorail dedication ceremonies, respectively? Or because the Nixon Library has had the Lilly Belle model & Disney-related displays at their annual holiday events? Plus they're both located here in So Cal easily reachable for Disney-loving locals. Not thrilled with the associations either but these seem likely excuses.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Could it be because of both former presidents having played a part in Disneyland's opening day & Monorail dedication ceremonies, respectively? Or because the Nixon Library has had the Lilly Belle model & Disney-related displays at their annual holiday events? Plus they're both located here in So Cal easily reachable for Disney-loving locals. Not thrilled with the associations either but these seem likely excuses.
    I'm sure there were reasons, but it just wasn't a smart decision. Just because they can offer discounts to a beer factory or strip club, doesn't mean they should. Especially in such a one sided political way.

I would hope they'd remove the discounts for the two republican libraries (at least until they can add some discounts for some democratic libraries as well).

Many ex-Disney people now run these two libraries, which should not substitute for an acceptable reason for Disney to promote the agendas of these two highly controversial ex-presidents. I've been to the Reagan library and it isn't historical nearly as much as it is propaganda and glorification.

I'd prefer D23 to stay out of politics altogether. Big mistake on their part which actually has me quite angry. I've been a big fan and supporter of D23 . . . but I'm questioning that at the moment.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I completely understand where Dusty is coming from. In a politically charged environment like we have now, we don't need more a feel of division to be perpetrated by one of our favorite places.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Just because they can offer discounts to a beer factory or strip club, doesn't mean they should.
    And that my friend is why I'm not joining D23.........

Here is the map of where the different libraries are located. Visit Presidential Libraries and Museums

I'm sure it has to do with location (and the fact they are the only two on the west coast) but yeah, why even make (even if not intentional) a political stance.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    I'm sure it has to do with location (and the fact they are the only two on the west coast) but yeah, why even make (even if not intentional) a political stance.
    I agree that it most likely has to do more with location and the two libraries being tourist atrrations in SoCal.

I don't agree that associating or visiting a presidential library means taking a political stance.

Should Disney remove all the controversial presidents from the Hall of Presidents in the MK just because they had politcal views that were not universally popular?

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    And that my friend is why I'm not joining D23.........

Here is the map of where the different libraries are located. Visit Presidential Libraries and Museums

Perhaps because they were presidents, and good, bad or indifferent they had an indelible impact on the course of world history. Also, because of their location. Also, because both Reagan and Nixon have their roles in Disney history, as both were close friends with Walt Disney, Ronald Reagan helped open Disneyland, and Richard Nixon inaugurated the Monorail. Nixon delivered his famous "I am not a crook" speech from Walt Disney World.

Don't forget, China has a terrible history of human-rights abuses but is represented by a resplendent and well-visited pavilion at Epcot. Japan hasn't exactly been a friend of the U.S. throughout history, but it's right next to the American pavilion. Germany is a great place to enjoy a beer and some food at Epcot and not think about the role it played in history.

If you look at it very narrowly, it could be perceived as a political agenda. If you look at it from the big picture, there's a lot of overlap between Disney and Reagan and Nixon. I can't imagine a lot of D23 members live in or travel to Plains, Georgia, or spend a ton of time in Little Rock, but who knows, I might be wrong!