D23 announced their 2012 member events today and they've certainly taken steps toward spreading them out (something you all have been asking for). We are impressed with the variety of unique new events offered as well as some returning favorites. Here's what you can expect to find:
- January 23-25, 2012 - Three day vacation to Walt's Palm Springs escape, Smoke Tree Ranch. During the event, D23 Members can experience this exclusive retreat by taking part in screenings, presentations, activities and special meals, all while staying in a Smoke Tree Ranch cottage.
- Returning in 2012 will be the popular Walt Disney Studios tours throughout the year for D23 members only: February 11-12, April 28-29, September 8-9 and November 10-11
- March 14th, 2012 - There will be a special tour of Waltís boyhood hometown in Marceline, Missouri. The daylong tour, led by Disney archivists, will explore the small town (pop. 2,221) in ways that will have special meaning to Disney fans. (We'll be interested to see the pricing for this event and the Smoke Tree Ranch in January - that will make it or break it for us, but they both sound VERY interesting at the moment.)
- FANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION - In the spring, D23 takes the party on the road with a series of events in cities across America: Orlando, New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Los Angeles. The event commemorates more than 40 unforgettable Disney magical milestones, each celebrating an anniversary in 2012 (from Disney theme park attractions, animated and live-action films, to TV series and more from 85 years of Disney history). Fanniversary events will be open to the public, with special admission and surprises created especially for D23 Members in attendance.
- D23ís 50 AND FABULOUS series also returns June 23, 2012, with In Search of the Castaways.
- August 11-12th, Destination D will return to the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, Ca. This year's event celebrates 75 years of Disney Animation as Disney marks the 75th anniversary of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. D23 marks the occasion by gathering many renowned Disney animation legends along with top Disney animators, voice talent (past and present) and composers ó plus interesting demonstrations, presentations, autograph sessions and the chance to see entertaining animation rarities from the Disney vaults.
- There will be a new film series in 2012 called FROM THE VAULTS, which will bring favorite live-action films back to the big screen, including special 20th anniversary screenings of Newsies (February 25) and Sister Act (May 26), plus the classic Disney adaptation of Treasure Island (September 22).
- October 2012, during Epcotís International Food and Wine Festival, D23ís popular Sip & Stroll event (which may sound familiar to you since it is VERY similar to the event pioneered by MiceChat, the Sip and Nibble) will get a Halloween twist and becomes SIP & SCREAM.
- And during the holiday season, D23 will offer DISNEY AND DICKENS (in Burbank in December) and MAGIC & MERRIMENT (at Walt Disney World Resort, tentative dates: December 7-8 and 9-10).
Additional events are expected to be announced throughout the year including details on an Epcot 30th anniversary celebration.
That's the line up so far, what do you folks think? Any events here strike your fancy?