Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

D23's 2012 Member Events Go Nationwide

D23 announced their 2012 member events today and they've certainly taken steps toward spreading them out (something you all have been asking for). We are impressed with the variety of unique new events offered as well as some returning favorites. Here's what you can expect to find:

• January 23-25, 2012 - Three day vacation to Walt's Palm Springs escape, Smoke Tree Ranch. During the event, D23 Members can experience this exclusive retreat by taking part in screenings, presentations, activities and special meals, all while staying in a Smoke Tree Ranch cottage.

• Returning in 2012 will be the popular Walt Disney Studios tours throughout the year for D23 members only: February 11-12, April 28-29, September 8-9 and November 10-11

• March 14th, 2012 - There will be a special tour of Waltís boyhood hometown in Marceline, Missouri. The daylong tour, led by Disney archivists, will explore the small town (pop. 2,221) in ways that will have special meaning to Disney fans. (We'll be interested to see the pricing for this event and the Smoke Tree Ranch in January - that will make it or break it for us, but they both sound VERY interesting at the moment.)

• FANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION - In the spring, D23 takes the party on the road with a series of events in cities across America: Orlando, New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Los Angeles. The event commemorates more than 40 unforgettable Disney magical milestones, each celebrating an anniversary in 2012 (from Disney theme park attractions, animated and live-action films, to TV series and more from 85 years of Disney history). Fanniversary events will be open to the public, with special admission and surprises created especially for D23 Members in attendance.

• D23ís 50 AND FABULOUS series also returns June 23, 2012, with In Search of the Castaways.

• August 11-12th, Destination D will return to the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, Ca. This year's event celebrates 75 years of Disney Animation as Disney marks the 75th anniversary of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. D23 marks the occasion by gathering many renowned Disney animation legends along with top Disney animators, voice talent (past and present) and composers ó plus interesting demonstrations, presentations, autograph sessions and the chance to see entertaining animation rarities from the Disney vaults.

• There will be a new film series in 2012 called FROM THE VAULTS, which will bring favorite live-action films back to the big screen, including special 20th anniversary screenings of Newsies (February 25) and Sister Act (May 26), plus the classic Disney adaptation of Treasure Island (September 22).

• October 2012, during Epcotís International Food and Wine Festival, D23ís popular Sip & Stroll event (which may sound familiar to you since it is VERY similar to the event pioneered by MiceChat, the Sip and Nibble) will get a Halloween twist and becomes SIP & SCREAM.

• And during the holiday season, D23 will offer DISNEY AND DICKENS (in Burbank in December) and MAGIC & MERRIMENT (at Walt Disney World Resort, tentative dates: December 7-8 and 9-10).

Additional events are expected to be announced throughout the year including details on an Epcot 30th anniversary celebration.

That's the line up so far, what do you folks think? Any events here strike your fancy?
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

Re: D23's 2012 Member Events Go Nationwide

The marceline and palm springs events sound veeeeery interesting!
    ...I finally changed my avatar...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Sounds like Destination D next year will have no parks focus.

That's okay, because there's really nothing new to report on - most projects will be done.
    -Monorail Man

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I've been to Marceline. Pretty, but not much to see and far from anywhere you'd want to be. However, might be fun for the folks who live within a short drive in Missouri.

However, the Smoke Tree Ranch vacation in Palms Springs sounds very interesting to me.

I can recommend Magic and Merriment at WDW - attended the first one and it was fantastic.

Not sure if I'm thrilled about the topic of the next Destination D, but I'd bet that a whole lot of other folks will be.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Just another Disney fan..

What a diverse lineup. Great to see more opportunities for people who don't live in southern California or central Florida.

What impression does this large number of events announced leave on those folks predicting the demise od D23 and declaring it a failure?

Seems to me D23 is only getting more popular than ever and more diverse in their offerings.

The price of the Smoke Tree Ranch event seemed high, then I looked at the STR website. It doesn't even LIST prices. The closest I could find was some travel prices that list rooms at about $375 a night. This is an exclusive place, it is not a resort that you just decide, "Let's go to Smoke Tree," it appears. Then I realized that if a room (probably double-occupancy) is normally $750 for two nights and you have to take care of all of your own meals, recreation, etc. not including the kinds of activities that Disney would do on top of that, the $825 a person rate is a pretty good deal. Especially for people who are used to paying $500 a night for a little room at the Poly or Grand. ;-)

---------- Post added 11-16-2011 at 07:52 PM ----------

Oh, and Newsies would appear to be on quite a roll today!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Glad they're going to have more events in New York! Looking forward to seeing what they can pull off here!

And hoping for something "grand and miraculous" for EPCOT's 30th!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Disney Trivia God

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I've been to Marceline. Pretty, but not much to see and far from anywhere you'd want to be. However, might be fun for the folks who live within a short drive in Missouri.
    Dusty is right -- Marceline is good for an afternoon, but beyond that? There's not a whole lot to do, and it's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. However, you'll be hard pressed to find a town of nicer people anywhere else. I'm sure you'll be welcomed with open arms by everyone.

If I was to guess, I'll bet that the day will include the "town tour" (two blocks), a visit to the Hometown Museum and the Main St Theater, and then a visit out to the former Disney family farm, the Dreaming Tree, and the recreation of Walt's barn. Similar to what you'd see if you visited during Toonfest in September.

I live about 5 hours away, so I'll probably drive down for the event, depending on the weather. Mid-March is a wild-card time, weather-wise around here. Could be sunny and 50, could be snowing and 20.

Blog Entries

Other than the screening of Newsies nothing really sounds that exciting to me. I am not sure if I will be renewing at this point.

I may not attend any of the events, but I am definitely renewing. Not only is it good to see D23 really heading in the right direction by listening to the fans about the lack of events outside of SoCal and Central Florida, but I just am not going to put it on my calendar every three months to go out and spend $16 for the magazine, which doesn't have the gift when you buy it at the bookstore. $74.99 one time a year is like $6.25 a month, or one trip (for me, at least) to Starbucks. If I don't blink twice when I go to Starbucks, I'm not going to look at this as a "bad value." It lasts a lot longer and brings me more smiles than my overpriced coffee. Which come to think of it, why DO I go out and buy that coffee?

• Minion

Can't wait for Destination D.

Unfortunately, I missed the parks-based theme in 2009, but Feature Animation as the theme next year is absolutely perfect!

Looking forward to it.

• I also like Stitch!

Nothing in Dallas. WHY???

Hmm..nothing in Alamogordo either.. I am NOT renewing!
    Sheesh..they are really trying to expand and address the "There's nothing outside of Anaheim and Orlando" folks and still complaints?
    Anyway..I'll renew of course (actually already paid for it at the Expo and have a card to apply..did it there to get the print by Stacia)
    Looking forward to Destination D..the Smoke Tree Ranch thing sounds cool, but also sounds kinda outdoorsey for my taste.

There are no D23 events in Milwaukee, Atlanta, New Orleans, Phoenix, Sacramento, Reno, Little Rock, Chattanooga, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Grants Pass, Ogden, Tampa, Bentonville, San Antonio, Cheyenne, Lincoln and all but about eight cities in the country.

What is the point? Maybe it would be better if D23 organized small teas in every single city around the country so D23 naysayers could complain that it's not coffee.

If every single D23 event were FREE, and they did a different event in EVERY CITY IN THE COUNTRY every day of the year, you couldn't reach every single person. What they're doing is focusing on offering amazing things that no other fan group can put together.

If you don't like it, just don't join -- you'll only miss out on everything ELSE they do, which is more than most any other fan club I know of.

---------- Post added 11-23-2011 at 01:38 PM ----------

And yes, Nunz, I was riffing off of you.

Thumbs up Re: D23's 2012 Member Events Go Nationwide

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    There are no D23 events in Milwaukee, Atlanta, New Orleans, Phoenix, Sacramento, Reno, Little Rock, Chattanooga, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Grants Pass, Ogden, Tampa, Bentonville, San Antonio, Cheyenne, Lincoln and all but about eight cities in the country.

What is the point? Maybe it would be better if D23 organized small teas in every single city around the country so D23 naysayers could complain that it's not coffee.

If every single D23 event were FREE, and they did a different event in EVERY CITY IN THE COUNTRY every day of the year, you couldn't reach every single person. What they're doing is focusing on offering amazing things that no other fan group can put together.

If you don't like it, just don't join -- you'll only miss out on everything ELSE they do, which is more than most any other fan club I know of.

---------- Post added 11-23-2011 at 01:38 PM ----------

And yes, Nunz, I was riffing off of you.
    and I give a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)