Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    152

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Wrestler View Post
    ... I have a D23 membership card that I don't actually have in my wallet anymore because it is essentially worthless (especially inside a Disney park) since my Premium annual pass already puts the available D23 discounts to shame...
    I think the answer is in your post. Most of the D23 members I talk to have AP's that provide the discounts you mention. Understanding the crazy accounting that goes on with the many different business units within the Disney megaconglomerate (and I don't work for Disney or pretend to be an accountant), everything that that one unit provides like merchandise, discounts, admissions, food, etc. comes out of their bottom line. So there are charge backs to D23 for many of the "free" or discounted items from other units. I'm not defending it, only offering an explanation. But I'm sure if Bob Iger said "Make it happen" it would.
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

  2. #17

    • Refugee from a island
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    449

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Wrestler View Post
    Let's be honest, the ONLY REASON anyone belongs to D23 to begin with is because we're fans of the theme parks.
    You are wrong. That may be your only reason for belonging the D23, but it is not the only reason for everyone. In my case, it isn't even the primary reason. Oh yes, I am a fan of the theme parks, especially Disneyland. But, my real reason for joining was to have access to more of the Disney back story, and I have got that through my membership. Probably not as much as I would like, but I've gotten it just same. I think if you check, you'll find that there are a lot more members like me then you suspect.

    Is D23 perfect, of course not, and I don't know what the actual membership number is... but, I suspect it is in the 10's of thousands, if not a better than 100,000. Catering to all the wants and wishes of a group that large is very difficult, if not impossible. While I do have some ideas, and if anyone from D23 (Laura? Jeffrey?) would like to contact me, I'd be happy to share them, but, at the very least... based on what little I know about D23 from with TWDC, I applaud them for all that they have accomplished.

    Side-note: Disney_Leonard, thanks for your comments, and I love your sig line. That has been my mantra for years!

  3. #18

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,572

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Wrestler View Post
    I received a D23 e-mail yesterday touting all of the great discounts that are available to me by being a D23 member and, you know, I pretty much determined then and there that I wouldn't renew my membership again. Let's be honest, the ONLY REASON anyone belongs to D23 to begin with is because we're fans of the theme parks. Yet, D23 continues to patronize this loyal fan base by providing us with discounts to the Nixon Library and Super Shuttle...are you freaking kidding me? What a slap in the face. Cripes D23 leadership, how little pull do you actually have within the Disney organization? Can't you convince $50 million dollar/year man Bob Iger to mandate a 5% discount on admission tickets or at least a 10% discount at a World of Disney store to D23 members. I remember him talking at a shareholder's meeting about the incredible "personal connection" this new club would make with the Disney fan base... "D23 is our way of saying 'thank you' and celebrating our fans, who bring the magic of Disney come to life every day in every corner of the world." Well Bob, if you're saying thank you to me I currently don't feel very compelled to say "you're welcome" because you're saying it with the sincerity of a freckle faced teenager at my local Taco Bell drive through.

    Good thoughts. When it comes down to it, they should eliminate the park Annual Passes and incorporate increased park entry discounts (30%) to D23 members. That would definitely provide the incentive for D23 membership while eliminating a majority of the issues with their Annual Pass program.

  4. #19

    • Padawan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    Posts
    1,682

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Good thoughts. When it comes down to it, they should eliminate the park Annual Passes and incorporate increased park entry discounts (30%) to D23 members. That would definitely provide the incentive for D23 membership while eliminating a majority of the issues with their Annual Pass program.
    I don't think you'll find very many AP holders that would like this idea (myself included).
    --Jonathan

  5. #20

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,666

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Good thoughts. When it comes down to it, they should eliminate the park Annual Passes and incorporate increased park entry discounts (30%) to D23 members. That would definitely provide the incentive for D23 membership while eliminating a majority of the issues with their Annual Pass program.
    Agreed. Although whatever happens after teh AP Program is dismantled is really up to TDA. TDA is a bit too lazy to figure out how to get 15,000,000 people to come to DL, though. Easier to let them in for a pittance, get their money upfront, let budget people worry about costs.


    Never been a member of D23, though. I could not find a reason to pay Disney for the privilege of paying yet again for "exclusive" events.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  6. #21

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Wrestler View Post
    Can't you convince $50 million dollar/year man Bob Iger to mandate a 5% discount on admission tickets or at least a 10% discount at a World of Disney store to D23 members. I remember him talking at a shareholder's meeting about the incredible "personal connection" this new club would make with the Disney fan base... "D23 is our way of saying 'thank you' and celebrating our fans, who bring the magic of Disney come to life every day in every corner of the world." Well Bob, if you're saying thank you to me I currently don't feel very compelled to say "you're welcome" because you're saying it with the sincerity of a freckle faced teenager at my local Taco Bell drive through.
    Bingo.

    Not to disappoint the admirers of a certain freckle-faced CEO, but he didn't make $50 million last year. Only a paltry $31.4 million, a paltry 11.9% increase from his 2010 salary.

    Guess it's time to add another dollar to the price of churros, eh, Bob?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  7. #22

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    792

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    I think D23 has probably gained members recently. Events seem to sell out a lot faster now. A lot of that increase is probably the result of the addition of the silver memberships. They need to rethink their philosophy. Is this going to be a high-end membership with exclusive events or more of a fan club? It is harder to justify more events like the first anniversary party when a lot of the people there are paying half of what the people at the first party paid.

  8. #23

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,572

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo.

    Not to disappoint the admirers of a certain freckle-faced CEO, but he didn't make $50 million last year. Only a paltry $31.4 million, a paltry 11.9% increase from his 2010 salary.

    Guess it's time to add another dollar to the price of churros, eh, Bob?
    It's a shame that the people within the company who actually CREATE everything Disney achieves revenue from only get 2-5% (if that) increase.

  9. #24

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    61

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    I just renewed my membership a couple weeks ago and upgraded from Silver to Gold. So far, I've only been able to get into one event (the $50 studio tour) because everything else sells out within two minutes. The events are not advertised well (including the Off the Map event which was apparently promoted primarily on Twitter--I get announcements on my FB news every day but where was that when I needed it?). Then they sent me the D23 magazine from three months ago as part of my new membership (which we already bought the week it came out). I'm already so sorry that I renewed but won't make that mistake again if I can't get into this year's events. Come on, D23, get it together!!

  10. #25

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Seal Beach, California, United States
    Posts
    2,944

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    Here's where to watch for upcoming events. Events Disney D23
    Mike



  11. #26

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere beyond the walls of Disneyland in a land far, far away...
    Posts
    162

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    The only D23 event we participated in last year was the Expo. There were so many disappontments, but we still had some great memories...but in all, the second expo was NOTHING like the first one. They shortened it by a day and the attendance was much higher than at the first...plus they moved it from September to August. That probably also had something to do with the higher attendance.

    That being said, we are still D23 members...for now. We recently moved even farther away from So. Cal. so we no longer can hop in the car and make a 4 hour drive to go to a film screening or some other event. Also, what has happened to the pricing for these events? We attended the 1 year party at DL, and didn't mind the $65 price tag since we were getting to walk on attractions and meet all sorts of Disney "celebrities"...we did not have APs so that was a great deal to us. But seriously, $250 for "Off the Map" and park admission isn't included???? Not even a discounted admission for those who don't have APs? I realize that we are in the minority in that aspect, but it would be nice to have the option of discounted park admission for those D23 members who may not have APs.

    The pricing overall has just gotten out of hand. Even the "free" events cost $5 a ticket for handling (though I understand why they have to do it this way)...but it's nothing like that first year.
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

    Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

    My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

  12. #27

    • Resident of the Caldera
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nowhere near a Disney Park
    Posts
    2,032

    Re: A bitter good bye to D23 from a first day member

    There's helluva big difference between Disney Vacation Club Members paying tens of thousands of dollars and buying into a condo-timeshare and people who pay $75 a year for what is essentially a glorified magazine subscription. Apples and oranges. In this case the apples remain fresh until at least 2042, but the oranges rot before 12 months. I've been a charter D23 member since day 1 ... what journal? I never received a journal!

    If you don't live in Southern California or Orlando the whole thing is really a scam.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Good-bye from this side of the Pond!
    By cpdisneyprincess in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-29-2007, 09:54 PM
  2. a few pics from our first day
    By tassie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-01-2006, 12:31 PM
  3. 10/4: Good-Bye & Welcome Home
    By Al Lutz in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-08-2005, 06:07 PM
  4. Good bye, Mice Chat
    By Ortizmo2000 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 08:44 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •