• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

John Carter World Premiere

I just came for this event. It was fun but there was a major screw up (on Disney's part) with the parking situation. They stated several times in the many communications they sent out that the parking would be a $10 flat rate if we followed the instructions and parked in a certain parking structure (West Garage). Well, after obtaining a validation from the theater as instructed they ended up charging most people (myself included) the max rate of $25.

It seems that Disney made no special arrangements with the parking structure and just guessed that $10 is how much the parking would come to according to the rates (with validation). Mind boggling if that is the case. I was there more than six hours arriving at 4p (and the movie did not let out until after 10P). Had I known, I would have taken the Metro. A major fumble IMHO. Sad, really... it left a bad aftertaste on what could have been a great event.

Oh, and movie was quite entertaining.
    --Jonathan

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: John Carter World Premiere

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    I just came for this event. It was fun but there was a major screw up (on Disney's part) with the parking situation. They stated several times in the many communications they sent out that the parking would be a $10 flat rate if we followed the instructions and parked in a certain parking structure (West Garage). Well, after obtaining a validation from the theater as instructed they ended up charging most people (myself included) the max rate of $25.

It seems that Disney made no special arrangements with the parking structure and just guessed that $10 is how much the parking would come to according to the rates (with validation). Mind boggling if that is the case. I was there more than six hours arriving at 4p (and the movie did not let out until after 10P). Had I known, I would have taken the Metro. A major fumble IMHO. Sad, really... it left a bad aftertaste on what could have been a great event.

Oh, and movie was quite entertaining.
    I just hope the concession food didn't contribute to that bad aftertaste. I would have had a Mars candy bar and threw the wrapper in the parking lot with my $25 receipt staped to it.

Glad that you enjoyed the flick. John Carter sounds very promising!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Tour Ready

I also just got back from the John Carter Premier and had a great time. The movie was a million times better then what I expected and my entire party thoroughly enjoyed it! Disney has not marketed the film properly and the trailers just don't do it justice. I highly recommend seeing this film.

As for the parking issue, while unfortunate, it was not Disney's fault. I was there with the D23 staff as they sternly argued with the cinema employees over the parking cost. Disney had been promised a flat fee of $10 for the event, but somehow this information did not make it to the cinema staff validating parking tickets. Theater management was called to hopefully help rectify the situation but we did not have the time to stand around and wait for the outcome, but we left, feeling very sorry for the D23 staff that had worked so hard to provide such a unique experience. They were genuinely upset that the cinema was not holding up their part of the agreement and were doing their best to try to fix it. Don't let the venues mistake ruin a great event or the dedication of the D23 staff!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by WDI33 View Post
    I also just got back from the John Carter Premier and had a great time. The movie was a million times better then what I expected and my entire party thoroughly enjoyed it! Disney has not marketed the film properly and the trailers just don't do it justice. I highly recommend seeing this film.

As for the parking issue, while unfortunate, it was not Disney's fault. I was there with the D23 staff as they sternly argued with the cinema employees over the parking cost. Disney had been promised a flat fee of $10 for the event, but somehow this information did not make it to the cinema staff validating parking tickets. Theater management was called to hopefully help rectify the situation but we did not have the time to stand around and wait for the outcome, but we left, feeling very sorry for the D23 staff that had worked so hard to provide such a unique experience. They were genuinely upset that the cinema was not holding up their part of the agreement and were doing their best to try to fix it. Don't let the venues mistake ruin a great event or the dedication of the D23 staff!
    Three Cheers For The D23 Staff, Andrew Stanton, John Lasseter and Edgar Rice Burroughs each for contributing toward bringing this masterful work to life in a way that is sure to appeal to the masses!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• shaping tomorrow

The parking flub was a bit upsetting.

But the films was great, and the overall experience was awesome!

The movie is very good, and I hope people will go see it!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Having worked with and attended numerous Premieres with Disney and other major studios in the past I can tell you that unless you have a studio issued parking pass created specifically for that event you were gonna get charged the full rate, especially with extended hours being spent onsite prior to the film's listed and eventual start time. This is pretty much a standard situation for all Premiere-related promotions whether held at L.A. Live, Hollywood and Highland, the Arclight Cinemas' Cinerama Dome, etc. The theatres don't own or run the parking rights, which is why the number of purchased spaces are dealt with and paid for in advance by the studio. But apparently not extended to the D23 staff or it's contest winner members. They should have asked for a copy of the written agreement to have onhand and secured & distributed parking passes for them.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

I was also there when the D23 staff was arguing with the "cinema employees" and heard the entire conversation. I completely disagree that this was not Disney's fault. First of all, I knew it was pointless for them to be arguing with the theater at all, as they have absolutely NO control over the parking situation. I heard them explain the amount of time that was allowed with the validation for $10: 4 hours (at a $5 validated rate) + $5 for EACH additional 1/2 hour. So $10 only buys 4.5 hours.

I then heard the D23 staff member agree that this what was communicated to them. And, incredulously, I heard them say "I did not think it (the event) would go over 4 1/2 hours". I was stunned by this. The registration was open from 5p-5:30p, for a 1/2 hour window (assume people are going to be early for this exciting event!). The film was not supposed to START until 7p. Simple math would tell you that 4 1/2 hours is not enough time!

Arguing in vain with the theater employees after the fact does not release them from responsibility. I knew right away at the beginning of the conversation that it was a major screw up. I came back into the theater (I was one of the first outside, and as I validated my parking ticket at a kiosk it came up as $25) expecting to hear Disney say "we have a special agreement for parking, this is a mistake". Instead, I heard the D23 staff member essentially just ask "why isn't this validation working?" I thought "wtf, Disney had made NO special arrangements?!"

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Having worked with and attended numerous Premieres with Disney and other major studios in the past I can tell you that unless you have a studio issued parking pass created specifically for that event you were gonna get charged the full rate, especially with extended hours being spent onsite prior to the film's listed and eventual start time. This is pretty much a standard situation for all Premiere-related promotions whether held at L.A. Live, Hollywood and Highland, the Arclight Cinemas' Cinerama Dome, etc. The theatres don't own or run the parking rights, which is why the number of purchased spaces are dealt with and paid for in advance by the studio. But apparently not extended to the D23 staff or it's contest winner members. They should have asked for a copy of the written agreement to have onhand and secured & distributed parking passes for them.
    Exactly. I assumed from the specific instructions sent out numerous times via email (with the $10 rate) that special arrangements had been made, and followed the exact directions accordingly (i.e. entering the specific parking structure entrance).

This was entirely D23's fault for communicating bad (and misleading) information to event attendees.
    --Jonathan

• shaping tomorrow

The other issue, was the loading of the lines along the red carpet, the first people to arrive were funneled to the front of the red carpet (cool!), but then when it came time for loading the screening, they took from the opposite end making the first people to arrive at the event now the last into the theatre, and scrambling to find a halfway decent seat.

But again the movie was Great!!!!

There are certainly a few kinks to work out in the event they do another one of these for D23 members.

Where were you all standing durring the red carpet?

• shaping tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Natenob View Post
    Where were you all standing durring the red carpet?
    We were standing along the entire length of the red carpet, if you look at the red carpet photos you will see people lined up behind them celebs all of those people are d23.

The movie is actually great reviews on the Internet. I do hope people go out and see it. Andrew Stanton deserves to see this movie become a success. There is a new fan base site that is pushing the word out to help with the terrible work marketing has done with the movie and one of them created a trailer that really shows what this movie is about. They are hoping people will take the initiative to place links of the trailer and spread the word

thejohncarterfiles.com

Fan Trailer from www.thejohncarterfiles.com - YouTube

I agree the marketing on this is not being done well. If I hadn't gotten info about this movie at the Expo I don't think I'd have much interest in it. (but still would have had to see it because it is DH kind of movie..but still)

This wasn't Disney's fault in any way. It was LA Live's fault, and given that the movie was free and the premiere viewing was free, there was a free litho given, and there was free popcorn and soda, $25 for parking in downtown Los Angeles at a movie premiere doesn't seem like a very big deal. Assuming you went with someone, that was $12.50 each. I agree, it would have been nice to get the $10 parking that they THOUGHT L.A. Live was SUPPOSED to honor, but it seemed EVERYONE thought that the parking was going to be $10 .....it wasn't Disney's or D23's fault. And to imply that they were "misleading" is REALLY misleading. It was a mistake. Mistakes happen.