John Carter free screenings

Just saw this posted on D23's site. Select theaters in cities cross the country will be hosting a.free.screening to D23 members. tickets are limited and avail on march 1st. D23′s John Carter Cross-Country Screenings Disney D23

• shaping tomorrow

Re: John Carter free screenings

That's cool, people should definitely look into it, the movie is awesome!

This is great! These are the types of things people have been hoping D23 would offer and they are listening. Way to go D23!

The SoCal screenings are the only ones "sold" out at 11 am; IMHO, it shows the strong support for D23 events around WDS and DLR.
    Mike L
    Premier Annual Passport
    D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
    '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
    '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Mr. Toad screening, Snow White screening, Big Hero 6 preview, Little Mermaid screening, Destination D

Tried getting tickets for Boston and it was sold.out sometime within the first half hour. it didnt help that i was not able the navigate the ticket site from my phone. there was no way to scroll the list of locations and i needed a computer only to find that it was sold out! (regretting now that i paid hotel access fee in business center to use their computer)

Seemed like the.access code needed was avail to everyone not just D23 members, no log on was required to get the code.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Seemed like the.access code needed was avail to everyone not just D23 members, no log on was required to get the code.
    I noticed that too. Any non-D23 members that thought they'd get over and sign up will get a rude surprise when they show up to the screening without the required membership card.

It is unfortunate if some non-members did this and took the spots real members could have used. Unless D23 does a thourough vetting of everyone that signed up prior to the screening date, any seats snagged by non-members are going to go to waste.

Hi roger55. i belive.you are giving d23 undue credit here for organizing a special event for members. i dont think this was nothing more than an afterthouht slapped together to pass off as a.member privlidge to alleviate to constant complaint that not enough is done outside.of so cal and occasionally WDW. Im betting that this screening was already going to be avail to general public anyways as many other movies are promoted this.way. D23 at last minute tried to take credit for it as an actually "event". there will be no one verifying membership status at the various theaters. ill be.stunned to find out there was.similar thing happened with the f"antasia event" held in Boston before. it was part of a museum film club that was screening it and they need to increase attendance so they boosted attendance by opening it up to D23. i was told valid membership card was needed for that too, i brought it with me and the museum s taff o had no idea what it was for and said it wasnt needed.(sorry for typos im trying to type on phone keyboard)

I don't care if D23 takes credit or not or whatever. I'm happy to go to this! I think it's a great benefit for members, especially me being in Seattle, where I get pretty much no other benefit in my area (not even a Fanniversary here!).

I'm excited to go and I'm happy!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Exciting news. It would be great to get tickets. Don't want to leave John Carter stuck on Mars. This is going to be a fantastic film. Just saw the preview trailor at the theater, prior to the new Ghost Rider flick.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

I went to the screening yesterday and no one asked to see my D23 card either. Oh well! At least it was a free movie. I just hope the code to get tickets isn't available for the general public next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
    I don't care if D23 takes credit or not or whatever. I'm happy to go to this! I think it's a great benefit for members, especially me being in Seattle, where I get pretty much no other benefit in my area (not even a Fanniversary here!).

I'm excited to go and I'm happy!
    Not really a benefit of having a membership since most people obtained their tickets though another source like local radio station give aways. Anyone could have attended if there were savvy enough to know where to get tickets. This really had NOTHING to do with D23. From what I read on facebook very few if any D23 members were actually at the screenings nationwide. No one at the theaters even knew anything about why some people were showing their membership cards.
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 03-08-2012 at 09:00 AM.

• Just another Disney fan..

At my screening they did not check for membership cards. But if you told them you were D23 they had a list of people of D23 members. They gave us reserved seating in the center of the theater.

There were multiple groups in attendance from radio stations to newspaper subscribers, neither of which were given reserved seating. Not sure who else was in the reserved section, but I did see some of the staff who were doing crowd control come sit in the area.

The theater was probably only 60% full at showtime so they ended up taking down the reserved seating barriers.

So there was a benifit of signing up through D23. But since there was not even what you would call a crowd in attendance, the benifit was minimal.