D23 "exclusive" Disney Store 25th Anniversary merchandise

With the 25th Anniversary of The Disney Store this month I saw online that there was some "exclusive" merchandise being offered some of which say that you need to be a D23 member to purchase. There was one particular item I actually considered getting until I saw the price, which as usual were insane. As a former TDS cast member I was drawn to a pin set with Mickey wearing the old CM costume and another with Mickey wearing the new costume, but for 80 bucks not a chance

Then yesterday I went into one of my local Disney Stores and found one of the items offered online as an "exclusive" sitting on a shelf for 1/3 of the price and no need to be a member to purchase! There is a Mickey statue under a light up tree (similar to the one that is a feature of the newest imagination park store design) Online this is selling for $150 in the store it was $50. Only difference is the instore Mickey is made of resin and in color the one online is all silver and made in medal the base and tree are the same. They even came packaged in the same box. No way is the online one worth the $100 price increase plus the fact that you have to actually pay the membership fee for the privilge to even order it. I didn't have any interest in this item in the first place as it is rather dull and doesn't really represent TDS's 25 years well at all. There aren't even any of the new stores in the area. (but there was the typical rude unfriendly guest service at the store, from a manager, just another example of how a once great experience has dramatically fallen far below expectations.... but that is a whole other story)

Once again D23 thinks they can price gouge us cause we as the biggest Disney fans will pay anything they slap a Disney logo on! Really having trouble justifying keeping my charter membership going. My renwal isn't up till October hopefully the upcoming Fanniversary won't be a disappointment, this event will most likely make up my mind about continuing as a member.
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 03-15-2012 at 09:34 AM.

• Senior Minion

Re: D23 "exclusive" Disney Store 25th Anniversary merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Then yesterday I went into one of my local Disney Stores and found one of the items offered online as an "exclusive" sitting on a shelf for 1/3 of the price and no need to be a member to purchase!
    It'll be fascinating to see what kind of excuse Disney cooks up to explain this one.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler