Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Destination D

• Disney Trivia God

Re: Destination D

Because my attendance requires additional costs (airfare, hotel, etc.), I won't attend. Instead, I'll save my money for the next D23 Expo. If money (and time) were no object, I'd be there, but since I'd need both, I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by cidbliq View Post
    Because my attendance requires additional costs (airfare, hotel, etc.), I won't attend. Instead, I'll save my money for the next D23 Expo. If money (and time) were no object, I'd be there, but since I'd need both, I'll pass.
    I have to spend money since I don't live in CA. This event vs. the Expo is a no brainer for me. Disney would really have to prove they learned from the last one to even remotely get me to want to attend another Expo. I felt ripped off for what I paid for the Expo. The WDW 40th Destination D at $175 was a much better value at over double the price.

I also think this particular Destination D is an event that isn't universal because while animation is arguably the core of Disney, it's not what everybody loves about Disney. Many like the characters, but are more about the parks. A weekend spent geeking out about animation is what I always wanted over any park-based event.

Looks like the $1000 diamond level sold out within a minute or two. Hard to believe that people have that much $ to spend in this economy!

Quote Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
    I have to spend money since I don't live in CA. This event vs. the Expo is a no brainer for me. Disney would really have to prove they learned from the last one to even remotely get me to want to attend another Expo. I felt ripped off for what I paid for the Expo. The WDW 40th Destination D at $175 was a much better value at over double the price.

I also think this particular Destination D is an event that isn't universal because while animation is arguably the core of Disney, it's not what everybody loves about Disney. Many like the characters, but are more about the parks. A weekend spent geeking out about animation is what I always wanted over any park-based event.
    Cost of these events are relative, but regardless, as interest and subsequently attendance for D-23 events has increased we certainly have seem an ever increasing price for admission. This is to be expected as D-23 is a for-profit venture. But as it is importantly from a corporate sustainability viewpoint, a cross-marketing promotional arm of the Disney company, one hopes that it would continue to receive substantial subsidy from Disney parent to keep cost affordable for the majority of Disney fans. Especially since most of the cost of these events for them is wrapped in their own properties and personnel.

If my memory serves me correct, my daughter and I spent $125 for the last West Coast D-23 at the Disney Hotel. Great and was worth the price. We spent $115 for the Expo last year at the Convention Center, and although great, I think it was a disaster from a scheduling and crowd control standpoint. It was also a much larger turnout than expected.

Let's hope the raised price is taking into account the expected larger turnout and everything that is related to that. I think D-23 is great, but I am constantly surprised at their seeming lack of experience in staging a lot of their events. At $225 it is going to be hard to be continue to be a Guinea Pig, even for the mouse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12