• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Is membership in d23 worth the investment?

Howdy Pards,

Well, truth is I'm kinda curious...now, understand that I'm a grizzled ol' Disney fan from way, way back...so I kinda like to think of myself as settin' here next to the invitin' lookin' swimmin' pool, yet not havin' the courage to dive in! Is Membership in D23 worth the investment?

Oh, I've picked up a copy or two or three of that wonderfully put together magazine and, almost always there was somethin' in there that caught my eye...brought back warm memories and such... but, I'll be honest, when this thing first came out I kinda wondered if
    $75 wasn't just a wee bit steep! And, truth is, I'm still wonderin' that. I just ain't had the courage to jump in yet. So, I figure it just might be a good idea to ask you folks who have jumped in...are ya happy ya did? Is it worth it?

I suppose my hesitation comes from the fact that I grew up in those times sooooo long ago now when General Admission to Disneyland was just a dollar...and you could hitch a ride on that horse-drawn streetcar up Main Street for just a dime.

I know...those days are long gone...and, truth is, I'm no Ebenezer Scrooge about money...but the older I grow the more I'm inclined to
    be a little cautious about things...my memory is just too good I suppose...I remember the time when you could order a Pepsi at the
    Golden Horseshoe in Disneyland for 25 cents...large one too. A couple weeks back I had a large drink in the Diamond Horseshoe at
    Walt Disney World and it cost me $2.59! That's ten times as much!

But...I gotta admit I'm hooked on Disney...especially the good ol' days back when Walt was still around. And I am a fan...a big fan...there's no denyin' it. I took the "Magic of our Steam Trains" tour at Walt Disney World and I absolutely loved it...mostly cause
    Robin, the Engineer who gave the tour, had Disney way down deep in her heart...you could see it in her eyes as she talked...and it gave me hope that...well the spirit of Walt Disney is indeed still around.

I suppose it is when prices started gettin' ridiculus at Disney that I started gettin' cautious...not as eager as I once was to just jump in and jump in quick. Truth is...in every way except the price...D23 seems right for me. So, I guess I wanna know what you folks who are already in it think. Should I just break down and get my wallet out...still got my old Mickey Mouse Club Card ya know from the
    1950's...or should I just pick up a D23 magazine now and then?

Oh how I long for those days when a box of popcorn at Disneyland...a big box mind you...cost a quarter...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.

• Senior Minion

Re: Is membership in d23 worth the investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    I suppose my hesitation comes from the fact that I grew up in those times sooooo long ago now when General Admission to Disneyland was just a dollar...and you could hitch a ride on that horse-drawn streetcar up Main Street for just a dime.
    I hear ya, pardner.

My hesitation comes from the fact that I grew up in those times when the Disney Company's relationship with its customers came from a very different place than it does today. A place of genuine feeling for the audience. A respect that was born of decades of showmanship. It was something that came with the product. Something that money couldn't buy.

And something, sadly, that isn't available today for any price.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

It all depends on what you want to get out of it. They offer excellent tours and packages at a cost. Many of which you can't get anywhere else. If you don't want the tours and do the events I wouldn't join. My wife and I are glad we joined, we met good people and seen things I wouldn't have normally seen.

If you take advantage of and can afford the events, then I think it is worth the investment. I've been to Magic and Merriment, Destination D at WDW and Journey to Marceline... very fun events in themselves, but enhanced by just being around fans who love this stuff as much as you do. I have met a lot of wonderful people thanks to D23.

If you can go to the exclusive events/tours more than 1 per year, yes.

If you can't, no.

As simple as that.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

If you would buy the magazines anyway,then yes it is.
    Otherwise... eh
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Is being a Disney fan worth a few cents a day to you? (My math worked it out to 17 cents a day to join D23.) Then, yes. Is it the ultimate, all-things-to-all-people fan club that some people want it to be? No, it's not. Does it get you some sort of everyday membership benefit? Not really. Then again, with my D23 card, I've saved $20 off a round trip at Super Shuttle, I just bought the 25% off membership to Live365 (yes! EPCOT Center Future World music pretty much all the time on one or another Disney station!), and last fall we went to see "Mary Poppins" on Broadway and I booked with my D23 card and we saved $15 a ticket, or $45 for three of us. Doing the math ... I joined D23 for $75 and got four excellent magazines that I read over and over, a membership gift, four member gifts with the magazines (of varying quality), I did NOT go to any of the events, but I DID save about $85 so far on various products that I otherwise would have gotten at full price ....plus, I plan to use the Super Shuttle discount at least two more times this summer, which will add up to about $130 in savings plus the normal D23 member stuff.

If I was interested in attending the events, which by and large I'm not, I could do that, too, and non-members can't attend unless a friend is a D23 member.

So, yes, I would say RESOUNDINGLY it is worth the price.....not to mention, I get to tell people I'm a member of the official Disney fan club, and I kind of like doing that.

I agree Disney's guest service is worse and worse with every passing day. But this is not a problem D23 can fix nor is it honestly even one that plagues them. Apparently there were some bad guest service problems a while back, but my questions submitted by email were answered promptly and courteously and now there is even a phone number to call for direct service. So, I think you can check that off the list of concerns about D23.

If you're a real Disney fan, I think it's worth doing. The magazine alone is really great, and last time I went to the Bookstar by my house they didn't carry it. Buying it online somewhere else will result in shipping fees. So, for all those reasons I think it is a no-brainer!

---------- Post added 04-16-2012 at 03:08 PM ----------

Wild Ol' Dan -- I also long for the days when a movie ticket cost $2.50, a gallon of gas was 85 cents, and I could get out of the grocery store for less than $150! I'm only 45 years old, but I remember those days, too. $75 seems like a lot, until you bear in mind the cost of, well, EVERYTHING!

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well now, gosh...thank ya for all this feedback. I sure do appreciate it. As I mentioned in my original post I met some wonderful folks takin' that "Magic of Our Steam Trains Tour" a few weeks back...including a wonderful engineer Cast Member with a particular skill at storytellin' and with real Disney spirit way down deep inside her. It gave me a great deal of hope for the future.

http://www.returntodisney.com/wp-con...ney-trains.jpg

And I was thumbin' through the latest D-23 Magazine at our local Barnes and Noble about a week ago. I think I'm almost hooked.

Thanks again, folks, for sharin' your thoughts.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-30-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: hotlinked picture removed
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

I'm also an old timer from way...way...back. Each person, of course, has to decide what the value is to them. For ME..I am a first day charter member and the club is very worthwhile to me. The magazine alone would cost $60 for the year in a store (before tax, mind you) and when it comes from the club they put in wonderful little surprises that I always enjoy. I'm not a local, but love Disney enough to have traveled to So Ca for both Expos, Destination D~ Disneyland, and will also come to Destination D~ 75 Years of Animation. The older I've gotten the more I cherish memories and experiences and D23 fits the bill perfrectly. Yes, the events are a splurge, but I splurge on very little except Disney. I'll be a member as long as there is a club.

the d23 events are just ridiculously priced. If you have the extra cash, you can do many different events through the year. The magazine is good and if you plan on going to the expo you do get to bypass the entry line which is crazy long. Its not cheap though and it adds up. I would think it really depends on your financial situation if it is worth it.

• Minion

I dont know if I should renew this time I would get the magazine
    i mean the DCA event was great but with no new rides soon I don't know

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    I dont know if I should renew this time I would get the magazine
    i mean the DCA event was great but with no new rides soon I don't know
    Well, if the magazine is that important to you, it will still cost you about $50 to collect the four different (assuming that you renew for the first) covers they are publishing for the summer issue.