• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Tickets Go On Sale For Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives at the Reagan Library

FYI - D23 has just made tickets available for the new Disney Archives exhibit at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum. I have been reassured that this is a completely non-political exhibition. If you are planning to attend, please click the facebook Like button in the upper left of this post. Be sure to post your thoughts and reviews here when you return from the exhibit.

Here are the event details and ticketing info:

TICKETS AVAILABLE JUNE 26 FOR THE LARGEST DISNEY ARCHIVES
    EXHIBIT EVER — D23 PRESENTS TREASURES OF THE WALT DISNEY
    ARCHIVES AT THE RONALD REAGAN PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY AND MUSEUM

D23: The Official Disney Fan Club Makes Final Preparations
    As Hundreds of Never-Before-Seen Disney Artifacts Are Put Into Place
    for the Official Opening on July 6

BURBANK and SIMI VALLEY, Calif. – (June 18, 2012) – Beginning June 26, 2012,
    tickets will be available for the largest Disney archives exhibit ever—D23 PRESENTS
    TREASURES OF THE WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES. From early drawings Walt Disney
    made for his mother, to ride vehicles from Disneyland and Captain America’s “ready
    room” from Marvel’s The Avengers, hundreds of items from nearly 100 years of Disney
    history are making their way to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum as
    D23, the official Disney fan club, readies the biggest Disney exhibit ever created.

Showcasing the boundless creativity and unbridled imagination that helped define 20th
    century entertainment, the 12,000-square-foot exhibit—for which the Reagan Library
    has constructed an entirely new exhibition space—opens July 6 and continues through
    April 2013.

More than 500 items have already been transported from the Walt Disney Archives in
    Burbank, Calif., to the Reagan Library – 30 miles north in Simi Valley – by the exhibit’s
    Official Logistics Sponsor, UPS, which is “moving the magic” for the planned nine-month
    run of D23 PRESENTS TREASURES OF THE WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES.

Many of the items have never left the Walt Disney Archives and are being publicly
    displayed for the very first time. Artifacts on exhibit will include:
    • An early drawing of Walt Disney’s first major cartoon character, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
    • The actual 9-foot tall head of the Maleficent dragon from Disneyland’s Fantasmic! nighttime spectacular
    • The fully rigged, 23-foot model of the Black Pearl pirate ship from the Pirates of the Caribbean films
    • Meticulously restored, handmade books used in the opening shots of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty
    • The very first ticket ever issued to Disneyland – No. 000001, with a face value of $1
    • Miniatures hand-built by Walt Disney, which helped lead to the development of Disneyland and Audio-Animatronic figures
    • The very first piece of Disney merchandise ever created: a child’s school writing tablet
    • Walt’s own Disneyland name tag – as Cast Member No. 1
    • A complete re-creation of Walt Disney’s formal office from the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, Calif.
    • Original Audio-Animatronic figures from The Haunted Mansion, The Country Bear Jamboree and Pirates of the Caribbean
    • A letter to Walt Disney from President Franklin Delano Roosevelt
    • Costumes worn by Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins, Glenn Close in 101 Dalmatians and Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Props and costumes used in the production of recent Disney blockbuster films, including National Treasure, Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, TRON: Legacy and Marvel’s The Avengers

Additionally, D23 PRESENTS TREASURES OF THE WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES
    features an entire section devoted to items that celebrate the connection between Walt
    Disney and Ronald Reagan. Photos, letters – including a hand-written draft of a letter
    from Reagan to the U.S. Postmaster General urging the creation of a special Walt
    Disney stamp – and an assortment of archival items underscore the close personal and
    professional relationship between the two men, and Reagan’s commitment to honoring
    Walt Disney’s legacy.

The exhibit opens to the public July 6, following a special preview only for D23 Members
    and their guests on Saturday, June 30. D23 Members can get tickets to this special
    preview online at Disney D23, where more information can be found about the
    exhibit.

D23 PRESENTS TREASURES OF THE WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES will be open
    every day of the year, except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day, during
    regular Reagan Library operating hours. Entry to the exhibit is included in the price
    of regular admission to the Reagan Library, and tickets can be purchased online at
    REAGANFOUNDATION.ORG | ONLINE TICKET SALES or at the Reagan Library box office.
    D23 Membersreceive a special discount on tickets to the museum, and, along with
    members of the Reagan Foundation, can visit the exhibit 30 minutes prior to its public
    opening each day.
    Additional exhibit information: D23′s Exclusive Member Preview of Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives Disney D23
    Last edited by Dustysage; 06-18-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• former CM

Re: Tickets Go On Sale For Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives at the Reagan Librar

My seven-year-old and I spent Saturday, July 14, at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley
    because of the "Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives" exhibit. Here are a few notes adapted from my post on another thread:

1. I recommend a trip to Simi Valley for this and the rest of this presidential library!

2. We were in the Disney exhibit for just about one hour. My daughter surprised me by liking the Reagan museum much more than the Disney displays. The "permanent" Reagan museum has been re-done and seems more energetic and far more interactive than it was before. We spent over five hours at the Reagan part of the Reagan Library and my seven-year-old and I were never bored.

2. There are two places for lunch, the "pub" near Air Force One, and Reagan's Country Cafe. We ate at the latter and the turkey reuben sandwich I had there may have been my favorite sandwich of all time. Make sure to take a lunch break. You can advance order a lunch on the Reagan Library website, but I would just buy lunch there at Reagan's Country Cafe.

3. I ordered our tickets before we got there on the Reagan Library website, and these same Disney tickets included admission to the Reagan museum. The lines were not bad at all, and the times we signed up for to enter the Disney exhibit were not enforced. The Disney displays are in the back of the Reagan museum, but you may bypass the presidential displays and go there directly. But don't miss the presidential displays. My pre-second grader enjoyed filming herself in a scene with Reagan, moving a metal ball through a labyrinth past holes that represented things that could go wrong when planning a presidential visit, crawling through an escape "tunnel" from East Berlin, and playing video games projected from above about how a middle-class family could prosper in the 1980s.

4. Outstanding staff!

5. There is a small art exhibit of art by a former Soviet Union citizen who had been held in a USSR gulag. This was an interesting exhibit to balance the Disney displays.

6. The enormous room that holds an Air Force One used by Reagan has amazing views! (Any plane a current president flies in is defined as "Air Force One.")

7. We read a short biography for children, "Who is Ronald Reagan?" from Barnes & Noble over the three days before we went, which increased my daughter's interest. (Next up: "Who is Barack Obama?")

8. The Disney exhibit was as much about the company as about Walt Disney himself, and a display of costumes from recent films seemed out of place, but it was well-done & interesting so I didn't care. (My kid, however, objected.) A Hall of Presidents display and some letters from Presidents to Walt were right at home.

9. There is some nice gardening surrounding the buildings. What a beautiful place!

--Tom Sinsky

Re: Tickets Go On Sale For Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives at the Reagan Librar

Nice trip report!
    One needs to remember that the exhibit is titled, Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives. The WD Archives is to preserve the institutional history of the Walt Disney Company. If you want the history and background on the life of Walt Disney, you need to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco or the Walt Disney Hometown Museum in Marceline, Missouri.
    Mike L
    Premier Annual Passport
    D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
    '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
    '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Destination D

• secure all cargo

I visited a few weekends ago and really loved it. Like jcruise86, I really enjoyed the Reagan museum a lot more than I thought I would and found it to be very inspirational. It does a great job painting a picture of how his early political views were formed and why he made certain decisions. I have to admit I was actually quite tired by the time I got to the Disney Archives section, but certainly it was just as much fun. It's hard to say what my favorite thing was, maybe seeing Walt's formal office again, the Tron costumes (wow, they actually look really cheap!), the rough draft of the sentence on the plaques above the two tunnels leading to Main Street ("Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"), the actual books from the opening sequences of Walt's princess movies, the dog paintings from The Shaggy Dog and it's sequel. A very good day at the museum.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

I'm hoping I can fit this into my visit to CA in November. *crosses fingers*

• ******** Gold Member

This is exactly the information I hoped to find ~ Thank you!

• Hukuna Matata!

I have been excited about this for a while, I was really excited that it will be there for a while, for multiple visits, Did someone say a micechat visit later this year?? Hint Hint