Disney "pulling the plug" on D23?

Has anyone heard this rumor? The WDC is discussing ending D23 after the Expo next year. Rumor is that many of company's senior management team does not like D23 and wants it to come to an end soon.

• Minion

Re: Disney "pulling the plug" on D23?

The member survey they just put out makes it sound like they have plans for additions and expansions rather than shuttering it. I hope the former is true. I can't imagine it not being profitable for Disney.
    My finger points.

• Just another Disney fan..

They don't like it because it provides an official outlet to promote everything going on with the WDC and has connected the company to thousands and thousands of there customers. I can see why senior management might be unhappy with it.

• Refugee from a island

I've heard those rumors circulating since shortly after the first expo. While I am sure there are members of senior management who don't like D23, with the power of today's social media, pulling the plug would, in my opinion, be a huge mistake.

• Disney Trivia God

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    I've heard those rumors circulating since shortly after the first expo. While I am sure there are members of senior management who don't like D23, with the power of today's social media, pulling the plug would, in my opinion, be a huge mistake.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. "Synergy" has long been Disney's mantra, and in today's online world, D23 gives them both synergy and a sense of community. They'd be crazy to pass that up, especially if they're making money off of the members.

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by cidbliq View Post
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. "Synergy" has long been Disney's mantra, and in today's online world, D23 gives them both synergy and a sense of community. They'd be crazy to pass that up, especially if they're making money off of the members.
    Even if they are breaking even, or losing a bit... it is by far made up by the marketing value.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RTDJ View Post
    Rumor is that many of company's senior management team does not like D23 and wants it to come to an end soon.
    What's not to like? Disney gets to tap the pocketbooks of thousands of eager fans who gladly pay to attend what are essentially a series of corporate infomercials. Disney gets a ready-made audience eager to buy its high-markup merchandise. Disney gets enormous amounts of free advertising for D23 courtesy of the fans themselves in online fan forums. It's the sweetest deal in town -- for Disney.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by RTDJ View Post
    Has anyone heard this rumor? The WDC is discussing ending D23 after the Expo next year. Rumor is that many of company's senior management team does not like D23 and wants it to come to an end soon.
    Can you please tell us where you heard this? I highly doubt that it's true. Especially with the survey they just sent out.

• Sock Puppet

I think Disney will expand D23 before they pull the plug. Its a gold mine if they do it right.

• Pilot EdForceOne

What people don't like is being dragged into expos they don't want to participate in.. I'm sure there are divisions that want nothing to do with D23 expo and the expectations that come along with it. But I wouldn't take grumblings like that to mean the whole program is on thin ice.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    What people don't like is being dragged into expos they don't want to participate in.. I'm sure there are divisions that want nothing to do with D23 expo and the expectations that come along with it. But I wouldn't take grumblings like that to mean the whole program is on thin ice.
    From an employees perspective you are probably right. D23 gets in the way more than anything.

But if it makes money Disney will not shut it down.

Really? You're going to start that rumor again? This one is on par with Walt being frozen. If Disney management didn't like D23, they could have shut it down at any time in the last 3.5 years and not announced a 2013 Expo or opened the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives show. Where do these rumors start? Is it a Disney senior-management person with too much time on his/her hands who wants to try to float a stupid rumor?

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 02:23 PM ----------

Actually, I just looked at RTDJ's previous posts. If you're going to REPEAT a rumor, don't start a game of telephone. There was a completely unsubstantiated, unsupported rumor at DISBoards that gave absolutely no backing for a statement that said rumor is that D23 will be shut down in 18 months, a bizarre timeline. (Why not just shut it down right after the Expo in 12 months? Why wait six more months?) Now, the rumor gets a little embellishment: "Many of company's senior management team." Next thing we'll read is that Bob Iger burned his D23 membership card in protest for events selling out quickly.

Oh, yeah, and if events didn't sell out quickly then the next complaint would be that events aren't selling out. There is no pleasing some people!

• Refugee from a island

Thanks EC82. It's either A single sr. manager who stand something in passing that got blown completely out of reason. Or more likely a fan who either didn't get into and event they wanted, did get in and were happy their expectations weren't met. I've be observing Disney fans for the past couple of decades.

Ficklest group of people I've ever seen.

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a "war" over this. I was simply asking if anyone on this board had heard the "rumor" that D23 may be closed down by Disney. My question does state "rumor", I was not stating as a fact. Since many posters on this board are from California, I thought maybe some of you may have heard additonal info on this "rumor".