Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: Attention Disney Fans ...

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>I think with your interests merlinjones, you would have been in your Disney heaven.<<

That sounds all fine and dandy, especially for those who have never experienced it, but I don't just want to hear D23 talk the talk and take a peek in the archives -- I'd love to see them walk the walk and offer Walt's entire film/tv/music/art library on Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, art books, downloadable media -- on the shelf at the theme parks and local big box and online retailers -- all of it fully available to the general public (not just a narrow band of fandom) and exhibited on the big-screen and cable and broadcast for new generations to consume and enjoy (as well as for my own entertainment, enlightenment and rediscovery).

To borrow an overused phrase: "D23 should not be a museum", but a distribution pipeline and profit center for traditional Walt Disney legacy product -- to keep the dream, themes, and art of his works (and beyond just the animated features) accessible, alive and thriving into the future.
    OK my bad!

Thought you would be excited to hear about it.

• Minion

>>Thought you would be excited to hear about it.<<

Very nice, really. But I'd be more excited to buy it.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The answer is rather simple. I just do not see the value in spending $75.00 to be given the Company's views on matters.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The answer is rather simple. I just do not see the value in spending $75.00 to be given the Company's views on matters.
    What, and miss the privilege of forking over more bucks to attend the D23 Expo Corporate Infomercial?

"Dammit, Jim, I'm a Disney fan, not marketing fodder!"
    - Leonard 'Bones' McCoy

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-20-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandreport View Post
    I don't go to a lot of different amusement parks myself. I'm a regular at Knotts, and I've heard enough about Magic Mountain to be scared. Same for Universal. I'm fairly confident in saying that none of the parks don't even sniff half way. With the exception installing new exciting roller coasters from time to time, they are more or less standing there waiting for you to make up the whole distance.
    Doesn't excuse Diney from being lazy and for 5 years just cloning rides from WDW....

Disney has double prices in the last ten years...and what's new? The subs are BACK..Star Tours is a redo..and the rest are clones...i expect more effect then that for 80 bucks a ticket

• Refugee from a island

If you gauge for an amusement park is simply the rides, then I - personally - think you miss the draw of the Disney experience. Again, personally, I get a sense of excitement and elation simply walk thru the tunnel onto Main Street. For me, that feeling itself justifies the cost of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    I don't get you. I don't. You'll spend $600 on an annual pass to Disneyland or Walt Disney World, even if you don't live near the parks, you'll spend thousands of dollars on a vacation to Disney or a Disney Cruise, you'll blow a whole paycheck on pins to trade, you'll even spend tens of thousands of dollars to join the Disney Vacation Club ... but you pick apart a $75 expenditure on D23.

Now, I know, there are a lot of former NFFC-ers who want to see D23 fail, and their views should be taken into consideration, I suppose. But there are a lot of people who really complain loudly about D23.

But it's really interesting to look at comparisons. There's a Justin Bieber Fan Club that costs $99 a year, and for that you get access to tour tickets, merchandise-purchase opportunities, and that's about it. Or for $36, you get "digital membership," which is ... well, as far as I can see, nothing.

For 25 bucks you can join the Carrie Underwood Fan Club, and it doesn't get you much of anything.

As far as I can tell, Harry Potter doesn't even have an official fan club.

The closest thing I can find to an entertainment fan club (not music) is for The Three Stooges -- it costs $20. For a Three Stooges Fan Club.

None of them (except the Bieber club) actually GIVE you anything like gifts, the way D23 does. There are digital newsletters and a small newsletter for the Stooges fans, but nothing even close to the Disney twenty-three magazine.

They certainly don't have ANY kind of events, except concerts for the musical fan clubs. But nothing like the D23 events ANYWHERE, much less in (name whatever city is close to you that you wish D23 did events in).

The websites are minimal, at best -- a few behind-the-scenes or candid photos, not the kind of information and articles offered by D23.

Discounts to OTHER organizations the way D23 does? Not a chance. You can't show your Three Stooges membership card and get a discount at Ghirardelli.

And yet, for all of this, everyone here is hyper-critical of D23 and willing to discontinue their membership in THE OFFICIAL Disney fan club because it isn't everything they hoped for. And yet, if you do the math, it costs $6.25 a month to be a member of the ONLY official Disney club.

Now, $6.25 is less than a hamburger at Disneyland. It is about 21 cents a day.

I truly, seriously don't understand why people who claim to be Disney fans, who spend money freely on just about anything else from Disney, whine and complain so much about 21 cents a day.
    I actually completely agree with you. You get a lot from D23 for $75 (although I'm greedy and would like more). I'm a Charter Year member (day 3 I joined I think?) and I will always renew my membership for as long as D23 is around. I personally love it.

---------- Post added 08-21-2012 at 04:52 PM ----------

I wish that D23 would be more focused on using their unique position in the company to help pry open the vaults; to advocate for the actual availability to the public of unreleased historic media from the Walt era: movies, tv shows, animation art, music, LPS and singles, film festivals, screenings, a Disney Classics Channel, etc.
    I feel many D23's are this way... but that is NOT what a fan club is, that is what a museum is for. I like all of the Expos, events, etc.

A lot of people tend to forget that Disney isn't just Mickey from Steamboat Willy, but also Good Luck Charlie and Gravity Falls from the Disney Channel, Cool Runnings and The Santa Clause 3 from the movie studio, and your local Disney Store and Target Disney merchandise. It's Disney XD and Tron, Pirates of the Caribbean the movie AND the ride, Cinderella and Cinderella III, Disneyland and Disneyland Resort Paris and Adventures by Disney and DVC and so on and on and on. And now it's the Muppets and Marvel.

Disney is BIG. There is a lot to it and a lot of fans to please. Too many "hardcore" fans want to focus on the past classics when there is so much more to it than that. They think that because you know so-and-so animators name then you are a "Disney Geek". But have you ever seen an episode of Austin & Alley currently on Disney Channel? Do you know the name of Beck's best friends on Tron Uprising on Disney XD?

It's a FAN CLUB for EVERYTHING Disney.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    If you gauge for an amusement park is simply the rides, then I - personally - think you miss the draw of the Disney experience. Again, personally, I get a sense of excitement and elation simply walk thru the tunnel onto Main Street. For me, that feeling itself justifies the cost of admission.
    It's both lands and rides that makes the parks...they have added nothing really new in YEARS heck Indy was it....no new lands the Tomorrowland redo was a bust....

It is very fair to say Disney has not made the park double in value in the past ten years

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    It is very fair to say Disney has not made the park double in value in the past ten years
    True, and just another reason why D23 is such a bargain: for only $75 you can get a whole year of Company pitches & PR to distract you from that fact.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I think the BIGGEST problem with D23 is, what is D23?

Is D23 a museum preservation and historical organization like MerlinJones suggests? It does a pretty good job at that, but the Archives were folded into D23 and that's what they were doing for years

Is D23 a marketing vehicle? It does a pretty good job at this, BUT I shouldn't have to pay $75+ for Disney to market to me.
    I've ALWAYS thought, this SHOULD be D23's primary mission. Reduce the cost of everything by tapping into the various divisions marketing budgets and really do something cool here.

Is D23 a REAL fan club? NO Fans clubs are non-profits and D23 is DEFINITELY NOT that.

Is D23 a profit center? It does a pretty good job at this and as a Disney stockholder, they make me proud.

Is D23 a way to make money from the Disney Archives? (see the answer to the last question)

I'm not sure that the Walt Disney Company has a REAL answer to this question. And since they have no REAL direction or mission, they will continue to muddle through.

Honestly, if you live in the middle of the country, D23 is of no real value. Sure you get magazines, but all of the really good stuff in said magazines can be found online, and you don't have another magazine cluttering up the house. Yea, you also get gifts, but I'm not a collector who wants everything that ties to Disney. I'm very picky about the Disney stuff I have in my house, so random gifts are of no value to me. Outside of that, everything else they offer would cost me airfare, hotel, and whatever the event cost is, so... I'm going to put my $75 toward a nice dinner at Napa Rose or an event at the Food & Wine Festival, when I'm actually at one of the parks.

Also, while I'm being honest... I went to the last D23 Expo (on a California based family member's membership), and it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. That family member dropped their membership after that experience, too.

>>I think with your interests merlinjones, you would have been in your Disney heaven.<<

That all sounds fine and dandy, especially for those who have never experienced it, but I don't just want to hear D23 talk the talk and take a peek in the archives -- I'd love to see them walk the walk and offer Walt's entire film/tv/music/art library on Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, art books, downloadable media -- on the shelf at the theme parks and local big box and online retailers -- all of it fully available to the general public (not just a narrow band of fandom) and exhibited on the big-screen and cable and broadcast for new generations to consume and enjoy (as well as for my own entertainment, enlightenment and rediscovery).

To borrow an overused phrase: "D23 should not be a museum", but a distribution pipeline and profit center for traditional Walt Disney legacy product -- to keep the dream, themes, and art of his works (and beyond just the animated features) accessible, alive and thriving into the future.
    I'm so with you on that. My biggest dissatisfaction and disappointment with Disney is the unavailability of the older films, tv shows and other things that I grew up with. I'm aging. I'd like to see those things that brought me such joy in my childhood and youth again while I'm still here. I totally agree that it is odd that D23 is supposed to be about the Archives and the legacy, but, their merchandise rarely reflects that.

As for my own feelings about D23, I have enjoyed some of the events. The magazine is hit or miss with me, so I stopped receiving it and buy at the Park if an issue interests me. One of my problems with D23 comes from the way they are treating some of the other fan groups. Whether I am getting real value for my money is at times debatable. In the long run, the big events aren't that conducive to real camaraderie with fellow Disney fans. Usually, you barely have time to go to the bathroom, much less any interaction. At the last Expo, there were people that I hadn't seen for a long time, who I knew were there, but, I never even had a chance to see. By contrast, my closest friends in the world have come out of other, smaller fan groups.

As has been nicely stated by some already, everyone has their own reasons for feeling the way they do about whether D23 is worthwhile for them or not, and they have a right to their opions. I found the OP and some of the responses kind of judgemental. While I am currently a D23 member, I really don't need to be "card carrying" with a card from the Company to consider myself a Disney fan. It's what's in my heart.

Once again, you are all a source of endless amusement. You don't want to spend $75 so Disney can "market" to you -- but you spend $3,000 on a vacation so you can have Disney market to you. You don't want to go to the D23 Expo because it's a bad experience but then my guess is a lot of you spend $150 to go to Comic-Con to be blasted with endless commercials. You say a fan club is not for profit (I'm not sure I've ever heard that definition before), but then no one has come up with a better idea for WHAT D23 is ... oh, except that you want them to release ALL of Walt's work.

Do you understand what the costs are behind doing that? That even if D23 collected $500 from each of you, it wouldn't cover the cost of securing the rights from actors, from the underlying owners of the source material, from the composers, from all of the people who actually do have rights that have to be negotiated for every use of the material? I guess you think Disney can just play "It's a Small World" as much as it wants wherever it wants, and you forget about those pesky little copyright and ownership things. It's not that easy.

And you say D23 doesn't give you any value, yet for $75 you can save 10% at the Disney Store, 10% on Super Shuttle, 20% at Brookstone, 10% at Mandara Spas, $37 at "Mary Poppins" on Broadway -- right there, JUST RIGHT THERE, you've made up for your membership. (Let's assume that's $10 savings at Disney Store, $10 on Super Shuttle, $20 at Brookstone, and $15 at Mandara Spa and $37 at "Mary Poppins" -- that puts you $15 AHEAD for the cost of a D23 membership, not including the magazines, gifts, etc.)

"But I don't shop at those places or use those services," you'll say. Fine. Name me one other Fan Club that even offers something like those discounts. People are working hard to bring them to YOU.

But more than that, name me one other fan club. Go back and read my first post. Find me ANY Fan Club, for profit or non-profit, that offers anything even CLOSE to what D23 offers?

If you find one, do let me know, I'd be curious in learning more about it!

---------- Post added 08-22-2012 at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    One of my problems with D23 comes from the way they are treating some of the other fan groups.
    That's interesting. Care to elaborate? What other fan groups? What is D23 doing to them?

• Minion

Once again, you are all a source of endless amusement. You don't want to spend $75 so Disney can "market" to you -- but you spend $3,000 on a vacation so you can have Disney market to you. You don't want to go to the D23 Expo because it's a bad experience but then my guess is a lot of you spend $150 to go to Comic-Con to be blasted with endless commercials. You say a fan club is not for profit (I'm not sure I've ever heard that definition before), but then no one has come up with a better idea for WHAT D23 is ... oh, except that you want them to release ALL of Walt's work.
    That's a bit of a stretch as a comparison. It's a MUCH different experience going on a vacation than having promotional material sent to you via email. And although I've never been to Comic-Con, based on my experiences at both D23 expos, it looks to be a far more all encompassing experience.
    "But I don't shop at those places or use those services," you'll say. Fine. Name me one other Fan Club that even offers something like those discounts. People are working hard to bring them to YOU.
    Doesn't really matter how hard they work to get those services if none of them appeal to me though, especially when everyone is trying to maximize their extra-curricular dollars.
    But more than that, name me one other fan club. Go back and read my first post. Find me ANY Fan Club, for profit or non-profit, that offers anything even CLOSE to what D23 offers?
    I do enjoy the panels and whatnot, but since the D23 expo is open to the public, I can just go buy a ticket and get that same experience. I was a charter member and I was completely overwhelmed by the greatness of the first D23 expo. But after constantly not being able to get into any of the local events (selling out within SECONDS) and the lackluster D23 expo from last year, I didn't renew. I may consider doing so now, but first and foremost, Disney has to create a product that I feel is worth my money. The parks are worth it, and $600 for a pass that if I chose to, not spend one more dime in a park, is a good deal. The discounts on meals and merch are also great incentives because I have to eat and recently there have been shirts I actually like (thank goodness Disney has realized there are more characters men like other than Grumpy!)

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Do you understand what the costs are behind doing that? That even if D23 collected $500 from each of you, it wouldn't cover the cost of securing the rights from actors, from the underlying owners of the source material, from the composers, from all of the people who actually do have rights that have to be negotiated for every use of the material? I guess you think Disney can just play "It's a Small World" as much as it wants wherever it wants, and you forget about those pesky little copyright and ownership things. It's not that easy.

And you say D23 doesn't give you any value, yet for $75 you can save 10% at the Disney Store, 10% on Super Shuttle, 20% at Brookstone, 10% at Mandara Spas, $37 at "Mary Poppins" on Broadway -- right there, JUST RIGHT THERE, you've made up for your membership. (Let's assume that's $10 savings at Disney Store, $10 on Super Shuttle, $20 at Brookstone, and $15 at Mandara Spa and $37 at "Mary Poppins" -- that puts you $15 AHEAD for the cost of a D23 membership, not including the magazines, gifts, etc.)

If you find one, do let me know, I'd be curious in learning more about it!

---------- Post added 08-22-2012 at 05:26 PM ----------

That's interesting. Care to elaborate? What other fan groups? What is D23 doing to them?
    Yeah...don't spend 3,000 on vacations...so yeah if I stay near Disneyland (every year or two) it's at a cheap hotel that can't be beat in price

Also Your 75 bucks turned into like 300 with all the things you want us to buy....I'm confused why I have to want to see the Mary Poppins Musical If I'm a Disney fan? Like I said it has some advantages like getting front of the line at D23 Expo but like other's have said if you live in the middle of the country....you just get the books for the 75 dollars value

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast