Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: D23 to Offer New Free Memberships

Do we know if the new free membership will have less of a discount for paid events, than the other higher levels of membership? If they have different levels of membership, seems quite possible that they would or could implement different discounts at various events. Seems like they have already been doing different price levels already. (The Fanniversary tour)

Well, this is the way they should have done it when they started in 2009. What's silly is that there are STILL no D23 perks at the parks or for most Disney travel. Disney as a whole has never gotten on board with D23, so much for "synergy." Or could it be internal politics? Yes, it's hard to argue with free, but whereas I check MiceAge/MiceChat and MousePlanet a couple of times a day for interesting news, the "news" and features on D23 will be heavily sanitized corporate announcements, not actual FAN communications. While it sounds like maybe I will go back to D23 after dropping my membership and not missing it one bit, what I will probably do is wait and see what others report about this exclusive content on the website. If it's not episodes of 1977's "Mickey Mouse Club," classic cartoons and theme-park material like those great "featurettes" they used to make in the 1970s and 1980s, and all the stuff that should be on "Vault Disney," then it's highly likely I'll have no interest. What I DON'T want to see is more amateur actors pretending to be "hosts" and smiling insanely for the camera while reciting facts that 95% of the people on these boards have known for years.

• Senior Minion

^ This. Free or not, to me D23 still reeks of corporate marketeering.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• World Traveler

D23's "Free" Membership is now available.

To get "Free" Membership, you must go to the Disney Store website and "buy" the membership for $0.00.

I received my membership number, which is ridiculously long. Then, you have to REGISTER on the D23 website. Apparently, they make you wait 24 hours to register - maybe to run a credit check.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I also registered today and found it very amusing to have to "check out" for a free item.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

We look forward to debuting the new D23.com to our current members as well as to new ones from around the world.
    And yet, when I try to sign up from Canada, it says it can't "ship" the item to my area So I guess no membership for me.

Update: Disney just said on Facebook they're working on this and it should be fixed by midnight. Yay!
    Last edited by SBAngelBear; 06-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.

The website appears not to work on Mac. At least for me. I've tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox on three different computers at home, and it looks exactly like the permanently broken-for-Macs WDW website.

But what kind of "community" is this if they're still going to prevent comments, not offer forums and conversations, and basically not permit users to get to know each other and share their stories? I'll stick with MiceChat, which has better information in a more timely manner, is more honest about what's happening at Disney, and gives us all a chance to have discussions. It's free, too.

After waiting the required 24 hours to log into the free account, I was finally able to sign in once I tried three various passwords (must be a combo of letters, numbers, AND a symbol)!

It's strange, that Disney Store recognizes a D23 membership within minutes of "purchase," yet free memberships have to wait a day and paid for memberships must wait multiple days... I'm also not too keen on the fact that I now have yet another Disney password, when the whole point is that one password should work across the family of sites. Wouldn't it make more sense for the password for the Disney Store be seperate, as that can contain sensitive info such as a credit card number? Or the password to an AP account, as that can contain kids' names?

Anyway, hopefully the site will have much more content that it has in the past. But free IS free....

• i heart plunging v-necks

Ok, I am now able to sign into the D23 page as a member but when I click to purchase tickets to the expo I am sent to a page to renew my D23 membership. Huh?

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Quote Originally Posted by cris77 View Post
    After waiting the required 24 hours to log into the free account, I was finally able to sign in once I tried three various passwords (must be a combo of letters, numbers, AND a symbol)!

It's strange, that Disney Store recognizes a D23 membership within minutes of "purchase," yet free memberships have to wait a day and paid for memberships must wait multiple days... I'm also not too keen on the fact that I now have yet another Disney password, when the whole point is that one password should work across the family of sites. Wouldn't it make more sense for the password for the Disney Store be seperate, as that can contain sensitive info such as a credit card number? Or the password to an AP account, as that can contain kids' names?

Anyway, hopefully the site will have much more content that it has in the past. But free IS free....
    This is probably one of the rare instances where a One Disney system should be implemented.

• i heart plunging v-necks

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytotallyrock View Post
    Thanks for the link but for some reason when I try to check out I get an error message and am unable to purchase tickets.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

I went with Silver again. I want access to all events. SO I guess I'll pay. Switched from Gold last year as I never got around to reading the magazines either
    Mike

• Dreamer

Stockton, CA..350 mi away from DLR but that never stops us!

My wife and I's memberships expired 2 years ago and we haven't renewed since(Charter Members). I attempted to renew with the Free membership with my old member info and surprisingly, it allowed it. I got a confirmation email as well. I think D23 is a good idea, but only if you live the area of Disneyland. Since my family does not, the free membership is the only beneficial option for us. The gifts are cool and the magazines are beautiful but we are too far from Anaheim to take advantage of the bigger benefit of the events included with the membership.
    If the Disney 'powers that be' are listening, they could do more events with the Walt Disney Family Museum which we are much closer to, since we are in Nor CA. The Presidio, which the WDF Museum is on, is very beautiful and Disney could do a lot with it.
    "Whether in his movies or in his theme parks, Disney always promised a fantasy in which one could exercise the privileges of childhood - privileges he never abandoned in his own life. This will to power took the inanimate and brought it to life, or the illusion of like. In animation one could exercise the power of a god." - Neal Gabler, writer-'Walt Disney, The Triumph of The American Imagination'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12