Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Post D23 to Offer New Free Memberships

D23 is changing the way they do business. Beginning June 17th, they will relaunch their website and gate much of their content behind a subscription wall. However, new memberships will be available for free (which doesn't include the magazine).

The news release mentions expanded content on the website. The topics span the range of what you'd expect from the Disney Company's Official Fan Club and promises to delve into the far reaches of the Disney Archives as well.

The three levels of membership will be:

Gold ($74.99 new) - You'll get the magazine, access to exclusive D23.com content, annual member gift, member card & certificate, weekly FanFare, discounted Expo tickets, and access to all events, discounts and merchandise on Boutique 23.

Silver ($34.99 new) - Members will receive access to exclusive D23.com content, the annual member gift, member card & certificate, weekly FanFare, discounted Expo tickets, and access to all events, discounts and merchandise on Boutique 23. (So, same as Gold minus the publication, now exclusively available to Gold Members.)

Free - The new level of membership will receive access to exclusive D23.com content, a discount on tickets to the Expo, access to all of the merchandise on Boutique 23, access to select discounts and the weekly FanFare.

If events are important to you, you'll still want a Gold or Silver membership as the new "Free" level is essentially a virtual membership which gives you access to just the web site content (with the exception of the Expo discounts).

Here's how D23 describes the new membership in their news release today:
    Disney to Celebrate Expansion With New Free D23 Membership Level

The Official Disney Fan Club, will launch a massive reimagining of its D23.com website, opening up the wonderful worlds of Disney like never before to its members. The site will provide access to newly digitized content that delves deeply into The Walt Disney Company's vault of material, past and present, along with exclusive glimpses of the future. The new gated content will be free to current D23 Members; plus D23 is launching a new free level of membership, which will include access to this incredible content. D23.com will continue to offer the latest Disney news free to all guests who visit the site. But D23 Members can unlock even more magic in each section by logging in and accessing content whenever a golden key is shown.

"We're creating a unique destination that celebrates, in all respects, the essence of Disney," says Steven Clark, head of D23. "We believe the new site will offer one of the most engaging Disney experiences yet-with even more to come in the future. We look forward to debuting the new D23.com to our current members as well as to new ones from around the world."

The reimagined D23.com will feature exclusive celebrity interviews; vintage film clips; rarely seen artwork and photography; treasures from the Walt Disney Archives; behind-the-scenes previews of new movies and theme park attractions; and more.

Website highlights at launch will include:

• 23 Questions - We enhance our popular feature with audio interviews with Once Upon A Time star Ginnifer Goodwin who reveals her Disney favorites-and what she's looking forward to in the next season of the hit ABC show. Plus an exclusive with Phineas and Ferb's popular "evil mastermind" Dr. Heinz Doofenschmirtz, who talks about his truly devious plans... and Christmas.
    • D'scovered - Treasures unearthed by the Walt Disney Archives. In the coming weeks the Archives will share extremely rare imagery from the proposed Mickey Mouse Park, a concept which evolved into Disneyland; spine-tingling alternative dialogue for the Haunted Mansion penned by Disney Legend X. Atencio; the illustrated story script for "The Karnival Kid," the 1929 short in which Mickey Mouse first speaks; and a very special memento created for Walt by legendary artist Salvador Dali.
    • Disney A to Z - A complete and newly-updated electronic version of the definitive Disney encyclopedia with more than 7,000 entries written by Dave Smith, founder and Chief Archivist Emeritus of the Walt Disney Archives
    • D23 Presents - A deeper dive into all parts of Disney from the opening of Mystic Manor in Hong Kong Disneyland to rarely seen footage of the former Disney Studio on Hyperion Avenue.
    • Disney Legends and the Walt Disney Archives - Two new microsites; Disney Legends will provide a deeper look at those who've made significant contributions to the Disney legacy, and the Archives site will open up the doors of this venerable institution so D23 can share more of The Walt Disney Company's expansive collections.

In addition, new departments and sections include: Weird Disney, looking at some of the more unusual and outrageous pieces of Disney's past; Characters, profiling the most beloved characters from television, film and comics with concept art and complete biographies; The Quotable Walt Disney, a digitized version of the out-of-print book featuring some of Walt's most enduring words; Ask a Legend, a video feature in which Disney Legends like Marty Sklar answer fans questions; First Look, which gives members a glimpse into what's new and what's next including Monsters University; Attraction Rewind, celebrating the beloved attractions of Disney's past which once delighted theme park guests; and Muppetology, which opens up the Muppet-acular universe of our fuzzy friends. D23's popular video series Armchair Archivist and Disney Geek will also return with all-new episodes.

And that's just the beginning-on launch day, D23.com will reveal even more surprises.

D23 Free Membership will include:

• Members-Only Website Content: Access to all exclusive content on D23.com.
    • Exclusive Merchandise: D23 offers its members access to exclusive, limited-edition merchandise and collectibles.
    • Subscription to Weekly D23 FanFare E-newsletter with breaking news and special offers. (You may opt out of receiving FanFare after your first e-newsletter arrives.)
    • Discounted tickets to the D23 Expo 2013: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event
    You'll find the new website on the 17th of June at: Disney D23

Well folks, what do you think? It's hard to argue with "free." If you aren't currently a D23 member, will you be changing your mind?

Last edited by Dustysage; 05-16-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: D23 to Offer New Free Memberships

I never received my renewal letter last year and didn't realize that my membership had expired. I'll at least do the new FREE level of membership, but I may just go ahead and do the Silver level as I do enjoy many of the local event. I would get the Gold as the Magazine is beautiful. But the truth is that I just don't read magazines any more. I'm sad to say it's true because I know I'm part of the problem that is killing that industry. But I live online and news comes fast. I just don't think to sit down and open a magazine.

So, it's Silver or Free for me.
    Find us on Facebook:

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Does this present any competition to non-Disney owned Disney fan/news sites?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Does this present any competition to non-Disney owned Disney fan/news sites?
    Not really. They've been doing all this content for quite some time. They are just putting it all behind a subscription wall. So, if anything, they are less competition for us now than they were before. Especially since you don't need to subscribe or even log in to MiceChat to read our content (only to post).
    Find us on Facebook:

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I have never checked out D23, but maybe now I might.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I've only had a passing interest in D23, but it's hard to turn down free.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Previously, all of their content was available on their website to anyone who wandered by. You'll need to register for the free account to continue accessing it. It does sound like they have some interesting articles coming up.
    Find us on Facebook:

I'd say it means they're not selling enough Expo tickets.

Since I doubt if I would ever go to D23, so free is good to me. Sign me up.....the price is right.

• Cool Yule

Can't really see the point myself. No doubt the folk on the Free tier will be constantly pestered.... er.. enticed into upping to Silver or Gold.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

By golly I'll think I shall now join.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lcasa View Post
    That makes sense. With the likelihood that the D23 Expo may be weak this year, they may well be looking to boost their Expo ticket sales.

Well I just joined at the Gold level this year and part of my reasoning was to get an advantage on expo tickets. Now it seeems I could have had this advantage now for free?!!
    I feel like I have been had. I do enjoy the magazine but now I wonder was it worth it?
    Last edited by dazyhill; 05-16-2013 at 10:37 PM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lcasa View Post
    Actually, I've just uncovered some interesting news about the upcoming Expo. They've already sold far more tickets than the last Expo and are looking to potentially expand the show a bit more than they already have to accommodate the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    Well I just joined at the Gold level this year and part of my reasoning was to get an advantage on expo tickets. Now it seeems I could have had this advantage now for free?!!
    I feel like I have been had. I do enjoy the magazine but now I wonder was it worth it?
    Folks, please keep in mind that ticket prices go up o June 15th, two days before the new FREE memberships become available. You'd be wise to buy your tickets now, if you haven't done so already. Just a tip.

Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

• Disney Trivia Queen

Am I the only one who doesn't like this? I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat, but the only reason I pay for the membership is to get into the expo an hour earlier than nonmembers. If they allow membership tickets to people with free tickets I'll have to get there earlier, and stand in longer lines in the morning. I love the magazines and the other perks, but if I'm going to pay $75 a year, I want more perks than just the magazine... I don't want people to just get a free membership and get most of the same things I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast