Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Review of "Inside the Ice: The Art of Disney's 'Frozen'"

Hey everyone! SarahSnitch here! Just got out of this panel and although they didn't let us take pictures, I took copious notes for everyone. WE GOT SO MUCH INFO ABOUT THIS MOVIE! I will be posting everything in this thread. Feel free to add your own thoughts!

Re: Review of "Inside the Ice: The Art of Disney's 'Frozen'"

First we heard from Mike Giaimo and Britney Lee from the art direction team.
    This pair explained that art direction is always a challenge, but an exciting one! Especially with this movie...
    Giaimo said this was "the most thrilling project he has ever had" and he worked on Pocahontas!
    The research team visited Norway for inspiration but the team says the film is only "loosely" based on Norway. They took a ton of inspiration from the Fjords and the Stave Churches for the setting and architecture of the kingdom.

They showed us amazing concept art of Arundel castle set below towering icey mountains.

The art team also use the art of "rosemaling", which is Norwegian decoration used on buildings and clothing. Very colorful and floral. They used this art to design the buildings and costumes for Frozen.

Giaimo stated that most classic fairy tales are set very intimately in nature, but that Frozen is very grand in scale in terms of the interaction with nature.

After art, we were introduced to Lino DiSalvo, the head of animation on this film (previously worked on Bolt and Tangled).
    DiSalvo emphasized this movies focus on "truth in acting". There were acting coaches brought in to work with the animators to enhance the movement of the characters in Frozen.

DiSalvo explained that with Olaf, they really treated him like a snowman and that led to very funny scenes. For example, if Olaf'a arms can't bend because they are sticks, how does he scratch his head? He takes off his head to scratch it, of course!

We were shown exclusive character animation tests for the whole cast and then a scene that DiSalvo described as "a cool example of subtext, fun, entertainment, and truth in the scene".

The scene was of Kristoff and his reindeer Sven singing together. The song was very cute and funny and had lines like "reindeer are better than people" and later "people smell better than reindeer". Anna comes in at the end and compliments their duet (although Kristoff was singing both parts, Sven's in a humorous low/moose like voice).

Finally, we heard from Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee (directors) and Peter Del Vecho (producer). They introduced the film's composers: Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez (he did Book of Mormon and Avenue Q).

Then we got, basically, the entire plot of the film.

We first see ice harvesters bringing ice from the mountains down to the kingdom, singing a warning of the "frozen heart".

We meet little Elsa and Anna, who are sisters. They are playing together but Elsa, who has magical powers to make ice and create cold, accidentally strikes Anna with a curse that makes her endlessly cold.

Their parents take Anna to mystical trolls made of stone who heal her and erase all memories of Elsa's powers.

From that point on, Elsa shuts Anna out to protect her and they grow up together in the castle, but are very distant (to Anna's dismay).

The day of Elsa's coronation, Anna meets prince Hans from the southern isles.
    We were shown a scene of Anna and Hans's first meeting where they basically fall all over each other in a boat and are obviously smitten. Anna runs off to attend the coronation.

Elsa, who's powers are influenced by her emotions (she can never cry or laugh or the powers go whack!), holds the coronation and nothing bad happens! But then Anna asks for her blessing to marry Hans (after less than one day!) and Elsa tells her she is being rash and childish and does not approve of such a hasty marriage. Anna takes one of Elsa's gloves (which she wears to hold off her powers) and things go wild.

Anna tells Elsa that it is true love, to which Elsa says "what do you know about true love?", Anna replies "more than you! You just shut people out".
    Elsa accidentally spews ice everywhere and flees the scene, turning water into solid ice so she can run as far away as possible. In the mountains she experiments with her powers and is able to be truly herself. She builds the formidable, yet stunning ice palace.

After Elsa's departure, the kingdom is trapped in eternal winter. Anna wants to end the spell and teams up with Kristoff and Sven to find Elsa.

Jennifer Lee described Kristoff as "not for everybody, but I like him". He smells, apparently.

When they were children, Anna and Elsa built and inanimate Olaf snowman, so when Anna meets Olaf she immediately knows Elsa built him. Olaf is meant to encapsulate all the innocence and joy of little Anna as Elsa remembers her.

We were shown an Olaf song, comedically about summer with lines like "I'll be doing whatever snow does in summer", and "winter is a time to snuggle but in summer ill be a --- (puddle)." Kristoff wants to break it to him that he will die if summer comes, but Anna stops him. It's very funny.

After that clip the panel ended. The story will require Anna and Kristoff to locate Elsa and end the eternal winter in Arundel. I wonder how that will go! Leave your thoughts and comments please! Thanks for reading!

• Resident Ghost

That Olaf character seems like he could get really annoying, really quickly!

• ~

Thanks for all the details! I skipped over the major plot elements because I want to be surprised (although I think I've pieced together basic bare bones of the story from released character descriptions and trailers), but the first few posts about the art and the setting of the story are exciting (I have a feeling that the Art of Frozen is going to be a beautiful book). Isn't it interesting that Tangled's conflict began with the protagonist being endowed with the power of the sun (a motif that was prominently featured throughout the entire film) while Frozen's main story is born from one of the characters having the power of snow and ice? Even the way that Elsa's snow moves--as shown by the recent app released by Disney--is slightly reminiscent of the way Tangled's light moved in the healing scene with the same elegant curls and swirling. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahSnitch View Post
    The scene was of Kristoff and his reindeer Sven singing together. The song was very cute and funny and had lines like "reindeer are better than people" and later "people smell better than reindeer". Anna comes in at the end and compliments their duet (although Kristoff was singing both parts, Sven's in a humorous low/moose like voice).
    So the reindeer talks? I didn't get that impression in any of the trailers. I thought he was going to be another Maximus-style character whose thoughts are conveyed by pantomime. If he does talk, that would be a nice way to differentiate him from Max and keep Frozen's characters feeling fresh in comparison to Tangled.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt's Ghost View Post
    That Olaf character seems like he could get really annoying, really quickly!
    Agreed. The more information that's been released, the less I'm worried about the film feeling derivative of Tangled, which was my biggest original concern about this movie (so much of the first information and art released looked so similar, the comparisons were inevitable), but now I'm worried about this character. I realize that these comedic side characters have become an inevitable prerequisite to the Disney fairytale formula, and that in general, people really like them, but they can range from being really effective to being absolutely pointless clashes in tone that ultimately distract from the story instead of enhancing it. So much of Olaf's dialogue and actions in recent trailers and teasers really embody the latter (like in this scene), but I'm clinging to the hope that this is just a style of marketing and that his dialogue in the actual film is more refined and in touch with the tone of the scene.

No, Sven doesn't talk. In the scene we were shown Kristoff is singing a duet by himself and doing a lower voice to impersonate Sven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast