• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

The Art of The Good Dinosaur

We are prepping to cover the next panel, The Art of the Good Dinosaur which will give us a look at the next Pixar film. This is going to be an exciting presentation. The film asks the question, "what if an asteroid never killed the dinosaurs?"

Who is planning on going?
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

Re: The Art of The Good Dinosaur

I am here right now! Pixar is awesome!!

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

The artists have taken the stage and are talking about the recurring patterns in nature. It's fascinating to compare the surfaces of tree bark, elephant skin, leaves. They all look similar

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Oh my goodness. I'm already in love with the new Dino character star Arlo. He's freaking adoreable.

• ~

I remember when this was first announced as Pixar's Untitled Movie About Dinosaurs, and from that very announcement, I've been looking forward to the release of this film. I have a certain affinity for dinosaurs (you should see me during the Primeval World portion of the Disneyland Railroad) and loved the idea of dinosaurs evolving to form a society. Although, when I originally read this concept I had the idea that film would take place in an alternate modern day where dinosaurs coexist with humans, so I was a little surprised when I saw the concept art with the cave boy and read more into the released story details. Admittedly, I was hoping for more interactions between humans and dinosaurs, but that's all due to my misinterpretation of the premise and I'm trying my best to look past that. I'm still really, really looking forward to this one and have few reservations about putting my faith in the story that Pixar wants to tell, even if I had expected it to go in a different direction. I have a feeling that between this and Inside Out, Pixar's going to recover from their past few missteps and get back on the horse.

Pics?

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

The panel discussion for The art of The Good Dinosaur has ended and here are some of my thoughts.

As with any pixar film, a lot of care and research has gone into the making of this movie so far. The study of nature, the patterns in nature and the earth as evolved in tandem with dinosaurs was interesting. The storytellers have created a world in which Dinosaurs have survived, instead of going extinct from an asteroid impact. They large creatures have evolved with time and are living alongside mankind. However, it appears that the Dinos have kept mainly to themselves, building an agrarian society behind self-built stone walls.

The plot is in motion when our titular Good Dinosaur decides to escape the dino-society and wander into the rough and wild nature beyond the horizon. Enter Spot, the human character, who's 3ft tall stature is a spec compared to the 70 foot tall, adolescent apatosaur. The two characters from two different worlds are then thrust on a journey that tests their endurance and character.

The cultivated world on the left against the more naturalistic world on the right that our new protagonist reptile wanders into.

At the outset the panelists asked that no artwork from the presentation be shared. Fortunately, Disney released one small piece before this session that we CAN share.

The animation tests that were shared and the very small bits of finished animation that we were able to see were wonderful. Pixar just knows how to create memorable, lovable characters. Although, from the scant amount we did see, the whole "dinosaurs never died" appears less explored than expected. The premise is that Dinosaurs evolved along with man. But in the world that pixar has created, they never say how far along in time the story takes place. That is not that big of a problem really. But in exploring the dinosaur evolutions they spoke at length of how the eyes got bigger, their musculature became streamlined and so forth. But this evolution device only seems to allow the dinos more cartoonish, anatomical liberated features. The more interesting concepts of evolution seem to have been abandoned.

No matter, the film looks as if it will be something quite charming with two likable characters and an interesting new world to explore.

Anyone else have thoughts on it?
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

Thanks for the info Fishbulb, it sounds very interesting however the plot reminds me a lot of the movie Super Mario bros , wish traumatised many people, lol, but I have fait that Pixar can't screw the survivor dinosaurs in a separate sub world wit us thing.

I actually think that this movie might be a game-changer. I like the possibility that this film is not necessarily herbivores vs carnivores battling it out. As far as I'm concerned , they can leave the T-rex's out of the story, but they more than likely didn't. (They were pretty vague about T-rex's when asked.)
    I love the concept painting of Arlo and the boy doing shadow puppetry and I would like to see this image on the art book cover.