• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Elements of Fun - Disney Twenty-Three Magazine dedicated to Mary Poppins

Disney has released the cover image for the Winter issue of Disney Twenty-Three Magazine. Looks like it's going to be a very popular one with the fans as it is focused almost entirely on Mary Poppins.

To celebrate the release of Saving Mr. Banks and the
    upcoming 50th anniversary of Mary Poppins, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club has dedicated
    the entire winter issue of its flagship magazine, Disney twenty-three, to our beloved nanny. The
    publication, available exclusively to Gold Members of D23, includes exclusive interviews with Saving
    Mr. Banks stars Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson, and Bradley Whitford, as well as director John Lee
    Hancock. It takes readers behind the scenes of the making of this spectacular new film, which opens
    this Christmas and looks at the creation of Disney's Mary Poppins and the sometimes combative but
    respectful relationship between the character’s creator, P.L. Travers (Thompson), and Walt Disney

Disney twenty-three’s Winter issue also offers a look inside the fascinating life of P.L. Travers, with
    a personal reminiscence by her friend, author Brian Sibley, whom she once told, "I don’t feel for a
    moment that I invented her. I feel visited by her." And original film composer Richard M. Sherman,
    visual consultant Tony Walton, and choreographers Marc Beaux and Dee Dee Wood offer exclusive
    insight into the creation of the 1964 Disney classic, which will officially celebrate its 50th anniversary

Also included in the Winter issue of Disney twenty-three:

• A first-person account of the creation of the stage musical Mary Poppins from Disney Theatrical Productions president Thomas Schumacher
    • "Elements of Fun," looking at 50 years of unique "Mary merchandise"
    • An in-depth look at the film's groundbreaking special effects
    • A walk down the red carpet for the Mary Poppins premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theatre
    You can find more at D23.com
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Elements of Fun - Disney Twenty-Three Magazine dedicated to Mary Poppins

I'm rather concerned with how the DISNEY COMPANY ITSELF portray the SHERMAN Brothers in this DISNEY MOVIE. Historically, it has been reported that P L Travers was difficult to work with, however in this movie, they may be taking away positive credit from the Sherman Brother's and falsely credit Travers, instead. Even Robert Sherman's son has voiced his opinion on this, although his Dad has curiously remained silent. I'm also skeptical whether Tom Hanks will be able to portray Disney. So many of us Disney Fans are very familiar with so many of Walt's appearances on his TV show, and Walt's mannerisms. Tom's vision of Walt, simply won't be good enough, in my opinion. And outside of Disney fans like us, I'm not sure that this kind of movie will have the appeal to the general public.

With the fiction and falsehoods portrayed in this movie, EVEN THOUGH IT IS BEING PRODUCED BY DISNEY, I just can't believe all the hot air the Disney Marketing machine is blowing on this one.

Aladdin -

It's a movie designed to get butts in the seat and make Disney some money. Being 100% accurate is not important, even for them. They have to make it entertaining. Tom Hanks is a HUGE draw to people, regardless of how well hardcore fans (who are a small minority of people) know Walt's mannerisms.

The point of making a movie is not to show reality. If that were true, all movies would be BORING.

Ethan

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Even Robert Sherman's son has voiced his opinion on this, although his Dad has curiously remained silent.
    Robert Sherman passed away March 6, 2012. This explains his silence on the matter.

• Just another Disney fan..

From Yahoo article written after last nights premiere of the movie.

I have known Richard Sherman for years but have never seen him as emotional as he was when he exited the Chinese last night, surrounded by well-wishers, with tears in his eyes. “This is the way it was. This is the way it happened’, he said. “I was only 31 at the time. What did I know? But this whole experience has put it all in perspective.” Sherman offered high praise to all those involved including screenwriter Kelly Marcel and Hancock, who told me having Sherman available during shooting was invaluable
    Movie Pictures | Movie Posters - Yahoo Movies