Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Closed Account

Rare DRR Collectible!

I just saw this on Ebay: Rare Poster

In all my years collecting Disney Railroadiana, I must say this piece is one of the rarest I've ever come across. As you can clearly see, the poster was printed upside down!

To my knowledge, this is the only extant example of such an egregious printing error. It's rarity is beyond comprehension. I am shocked that it's being offered so low. To me, this is a priceless collectible!

Usually, I would definitely be in the running for this one-of-a-kind piece, but I had a bad night at the poker table recently. So, I'm letting everyone here know about it, so that this treasure can be purchased by someone who truly appreciates the finer, rarer things in life. Good luck!
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-19-2008 at 05:41 AM.

Re: Rare DRR Collectible!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I just saw this on Ebay: Rare Poster

In all my years collecting Disney Railroadiana, I must say this piece is one of the rarest I've ever come across. As you can clearly see, the poster was printed upside down!

To my knowledge, this is the only extant example of such an egregious printing error. It's rarity is beyond comprehension. I am shocked that it's being offered so low. To me, this is a priceless collectible!

Usually, I would definitely be in the running for this one-of-a-kind piece, but I had a bad night at the poker table recently. So, I'm letting everyone here know about it, so that this treasure can be purchased by someone who truly appreciates the finer, rarer things in life. Good luck!
    Why aren't you bidding on it?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Umm... how do we know it was printed upside down? It just looks like they turned it upside down for the picture...

If it was truly printed upside down, then I agree- it's an awesome find!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Why aren't you bidding on it?
    I already told you--I bet the house on a pair of twos (I'm a terrible bluffer).

• Mousketeer

Steve if you don't get that one, I'll sell you one just like it, I'll give you a great deal.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Umm... how do we know it was printed upside down? It just looks like they turned it upside down for the picture...

Yes, verifying the mistake will be difficult. Whoever wins might have to take it to Dave Smith for authentication.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Smith himself was trying to grab this piece for the Archives.

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post

That's what I thought... the pic could just be upside-down or something... and there's no mention of it being upside-down in the eBay listing. It would still be cool to have a full-size poster, even if it isn't upside-down. I bought the matted mini-poster of it, but I had to lay down $35 for that. It was worth it.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWolf38 View Post
    That's what I thought... the pic could just be upside-down or something... and there's no mention of it being upside-down in the eBay listing. It would still be cool to have a full-size poster, even if it isn't upside-down. I bought the matted mini-poster of it, but I had to lay down $35 for that. It was worth it.
    A lot of times, Ebay sellers just don't realize what they have.

BTW, this one is only 18" x 24".

• Closed Account

The rarity of this piece is really about how difficult (impossible, even?) it was for the printer to insert the blank sheet of paper upside down into the printing press. The odds must have been astronomical.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

The rarity of this piece is really about how difficult (impossible, even?) it was for the printer to insert the blank sheet of paper upside down into the printing press. The odds must have been astronomical.
    The auction poster's monitor could have been upside down at the time he/she posted the auction. Or the auction poster him/herself could have been as well (if he/she likes drinkin' as much as you do).

• Closed Account

All good points, Swab. But I have it on good authority that at least one of the upside-down posters made it past quality control, and this very well may be it. I mean, in collecting, this is like the Holy Grail.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

If your penchant for poker has left you in the hole, I can sell you one from my rare collection, at 'friend prices':

A rarely-seen sideways printing error.

• Driver Your Turn Is Clear

Costa Mesa, CA - 10.33 Miles South of DLR

Well Steve if what you say is true... I will definitely be bidding on this item.

Because of the current orientation of the poster I can only assume they made a mistake on the bidding price as well! Therefore, I am going to offer them the backwards price of 00.01$.

Its only fair!
    Check out My Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 rides... I'm always working on another one... I hope they make you want to go to Disneyland.

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."
    ~Walt Disney~

• Closed Account

Nice find, Swab! I'll e-mail you about getting one.

BTW, for the scoffers, this stamp recently sold for $825,000, and only the plane was printed upside-down. Imagine what a DRR poster, with all the elements upside down, would sell for?

• E T1CK3T

Nice find, Swab! I'll e-mail you about getting one.

BTW, for the scoffers, this stamp recently sold for $825,000, and only the plane was printed upside-down. Imagine what a DRR poster, with all the elements upside down, would sell for?

That's why I'm not even gonna try to bid on that thing lol. I could never afford it. It would be awesome to have though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast