Page 13 of 96 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516233863 ... LastLast

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

Re: Toy Collecting Chit-Chat thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
    sounds like an OT Splinter, is he brown or gray?
    Brown with white eyes and black tail

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
    *ahem*

playmates has always been one of the major tentpoles in the ninja turtles franchise as they own roughly 1/3 right now (mirage owning another 1/3 and currently 4kids entertainment owning the last).

Not wanting to risk making figures based on a cult comic book, they insisted that a cartoon series be made first and made figures based on that property.
    The initial wave (the 4 turtles, april, splinter, bebop, rocksteady, shredder and a foot soldier) sold immensely well. However, as with any successful toyline, they needed to get the main characters more exposure.

So themes were born.

Wacky turtles, head droppin’ turtles, storage shell turtles, star trek turtles, cave- turtles, wild west turtles, and even more. Initially this was a neat idea as it added some variety, but when it was just the 4 turtles and only the 4 turtles receiving this treatment, they got stale real quick. Figures of other characters were often shortpacked to unreasonable degrees in order to allow for more turtle variants to line the shelves.

Over time, the turtles completely oversaturated their market and what with having a poorly received show that was swiftly canceled, the turtles retreated to the sewers for a time. (1996-98ish)

2003 came along and with the 80’s nostalgia becoming trendy; the turtles were revived with a new show that actually became what most fans had yearned for with their beloved franchise.

Playmates debuted a new toyline that, while not quite up to action figure standards defined by hasbro or the (then) toybiz marvel legends line, offered fantastic sculpts and a bit more articulation than the “big 5”(head, arms and legs) that was so normal for the original toyline.

Fans loved them, toy collectors were pleased and the turtles were on top again.

Then playmates got greedy again. Not learning their lesson the first time, they decided that in order to generate more sales of toys and accessories, they needed to dip their hands into the show. The turtles started carrying more gadgets, and vehicles were debuting on shelves before they appeared on the show and the toyline starts to suffer

2007, the turtles get their first movie in 14 years. Playmates capitalizes on the opportunity to offer the first dramatically altered sculpt in 4 years. It’s a great design, though still not up to the super-articulated standards of the day, they’re huge leaps above what was offered before. Fans eat them up as they’re the best we’ve gotten so far. Though certain figures are shortpacked again (never did find a casey jones figure myself) the line performed pretty well.

Season 6 of the 2k3 cartoon debuts the year before. Fast forward is what it was known as. It is the prime example of playmates taking too much of pizza at the table.

The show was designed primarily to sell new toys as it was set in the future. They could design some new gadget for their newly designed bad guy of the week and put it to plastic.

Their plan somewhat backfired when the popularity of the tmnt movie line proved too much for them. Rather than reverting back to the designs for the show they, lazily, dressed the movie figures in the futuristic attire that fast forward had the turtles wear, not thinking anyone would notice or really care.

Playmates ran with this idea of just redressing up the tmnt figures in different themes and armors and packaging them. Again, only doing the 4 main turtles.

Neca, through a loophole, picked up the license to produce turtles figures based on the original comic book art. Given 30 points or articulation, detailed sculpts and just overall fantastic figures, the line was a huge success.
    Playmates was furious over this. They made a threat that prevented neca from selling the figures in any big box store and limited them to comic shops, specialty stores, etc. Ironically, this is where their market was so it was as if they were being hand delivered to them.

Playmates then demanded a halt on the series, meaning further delays on wave 2 (shredder, foot ninja, foot elite, april o’neil). They were supposed to be released back in fall 2008, we’re just now getting april as a comic-con exclusive.

The line was finally reached when some production photos of playmates’ new themes came out. One theme line was music inspired, again dressing up the tmnt figures in obnoxious “genre uniforms”, these figures showed utter disrespect to the brand. (donatello with a gold plated grill and sagged, baggy shorts? The man/turtle’s a scientist!)

the second theme, figures “inspired” by the comic books. Again, reusing the tmnt bodies, but altering the heads and torsos a bit, these figures were a direct attack on the neca line. Playmates also displayed a comic-inspired shredder and foot ninja. The shredder displayed was a horrible sculpt plagued by an oversized removable helmet, puny armor and he arm was sculpted backwards! (some reviewers dubbed him “the spiker” because of the puniness of the blades on his armor)
    the foot ninja was completely wrong, taking several steps back from the standard, this figure retreated to the “big 5” articulation and for some odd reason was painted in garish colors. Hardly a replacement for what neca promised us.

Mirage and 4kids felt some of the frustration when production started for the 7th and final season of the 2k3 series. Playmates had its own toy-laden idea that it wanted to get made, to the point of rejecting every storyline mirage and 4kids came up with.

Some compromises were made though it wasn’t the most spectacular season because of them. The turtles were still too gadget driven, losing almost all the ninja aspects that made them ninja turtles in the first place.

The 25th anniversary is this year and the only figures they’ve made for it? Re-releases of the 80’s figures and productions mistakes about. Bebop looks like he’s wearing too much foundation and then there was the “pantsless shredder” fiasco.

Playmates has shown nothing but complete and utter disrespect for the brand and its audiences. Walmart, late last year, decided they were pulling ninja turtles figures from their shelves because of lagging sales.

Hasbro once didn’t respect one of their main franchises and killed off it’s main character to replace him with someone no one had heard of before to sell some new toys.

Now you can’t have a transformers franchise without optimus prime.

encore! Encore!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• mountains beyond mtns.

Browncoat, thank you for enlightening us with the history of the TMNT Playmates line. That was a very informative read.

You had me until the end with all that talk about killing franchises and Transformers. It hit a little close to home with the current Transformers Animated situation. It's all the worse because the Ratchet centric episode which just aired was far better than any Michael Bayformer movie will ever be.

• 'splosions

I actually love Transformers: Animated. it's perfect in its way that it panders to kids, yet is intriguing and respectful enough for its adult audience

• Too far from Disney World

Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
    I actually love Transformers: Animated. it's perfect in its way that it panders to kids, yet is intriguing and respectful enough for its adult audience
    Not to mention the great G1 throwbacks they put in there. I about lost it when Ramjet put the cone on a few episodes ago
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• 'splosions

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDuck View Post
    Not to mention the great G1 throwbacks they put in there. I about lost it when Ramjet put the cone on a few episodes ago
    wasn't that the best? now if they'd just call them by their Seeker names already it'd be perfect

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Anyone else see this?

Not good for Nightmare figures and new Up figures I guess...I'm hoping we get some Up stuff though because LB and I are both anticipating buying some figures from the movie!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDuck View Post
    I don't know why I forgot about that! That was a classic moment and extremely hilarious how Ramjet just grabbed the cone from Swindle and put it on so nonchalantly.

That made up for the last Waspinator episode not being hilarious at all. As Beast Wars is my favorite Transformers tv series, I've enjoyed the many homages to that show but Waspinator really shouldn't be that sinister. I didn't even realize that Rattrap was in the last episode until reading a review at another site.

As far as Up toys go, I saw some plush dogs - Dug and two other black dogs at the Disney Store last Saturday. Dug is the wrong color btw, yellow instead of off white. Perhaps they'll have a line of plastic toys as well? I'd love to get a Kevin.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

How long has the Duke vs Cobra set been out for
    the set is at wal mart and has Duke and 4 cobra commanders and
    there are sets that include a comic book too
    (just seen them at walmart the other week)

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    How long has the Duke vs Cobra set been out for
    the set is at wal mart and has Duke and 4 cobra commanders and
    there are sets that include a comic book too
    (just seen them at walmart the other week)
    Are you referring to this by any chance?

G.I. JOE RESOLUTE G.I.JOE vs. COBRA Set - Product Detail

If that's the one, it came out a few months ago. If you're interested in getting it, I'd suggest holding off for a bit as I expect these to get clearanced out for the GI Joe Movie toys.

• 'splosions

i got the Cobra Commander single card for $6 from Resolute but black and red CC is drool worthy

• King of Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Anyone else see this?

Not good for Nightmare figures and new Up figures I guess...I'm hoping we get some Up stuff though because LB and I are both anticipating buying some figures from the movie!
    Sad...the nightmare set is gorgeous, and teh up figures looked amazing. I may have to switch back to NECA which is depresssing since, I'm very pleased with my Jun figures!

• 'splosions

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    I don't know why I forgot about that! That was a classic moment and extremely hilarious how Ramjet just grabbed the cone from Swindle and put it on so nonchalantly.

That made up for the last Waspinator episode not being hilarious at all. As Beast Wars is my favorite Transformers tv series, I've enjoyed the many homages to that show but Waspinator really shouldn't be that sinister. I didn't even realize that Rattrap was in the last episode until reading a review at another site.
    wait, so that was Rattrap? i can't find any info on it on tfwiki.net, but i assumed it was.

I actually like the Waspinator arc and where it turned up. I waited on picking up the toy until i specifically saw him turn into a wasp. i hate buying toys based on a show that aren't canonically used in it and usually only buy show accurate ones.

speaking of which, Shockwave. He was released earlier in the grey/blue color scheme he debuted on TF:A with. Target then had the exclusive purple "G1" inspired color scheme. because it wasn't in the show i decided to go after the show accurate one.

but now the end of the last episode showed him reverting to his "true" color, which is the purple Target exclusive!

i'm so torn on what to pick. what do you guys suggest?

EDIT: d'oh, just found it. his in-show name was "Rattletrap"

• mountains beyond mtns.

Browncoat, if only you had bought purple Shockwave during those 2 days were those sets were accidently put on sale at 4.99, you wouldn't have this problem.

Personally I like the purple one better (of course, getting him for $5 doesn't hurt either) especially since I've never owned a G1 Shockwave.

• Infinitized!

I've got the original G1 Shockwave from the 80s. He's not in mint though. It was a well played toy. His arms are kind of falling off. I would like to get him repaired eventually. Only problem is he and the other Transformers I got are at my parents' house on Vancouver Island.