Page 53 of 96 FirstFirst ... 32843505152535455566378 ... LastLast

• we jumped out a window

Re: Toy Collecting Chit-Chat thread.

Over on my SW board, we've been having what I feel to be a very compelling discussion regarding the gender gap in toys.

Here in 2010, it seems that toy manufacturers reinforce the same gender stereotypes that they always have.

For us action figure collectors, we are all familiar with Hasbro's and Mattel's and any number of other companies' rhetoric that boys simply do not want to buy figures of female characters. However, my friend on the other board also pointed out that the reverse situation seems to hold true for toylines geared towards girls. I've not really looked into this but they're claiming that for most Disney Princess dolls, you can't buy the prince equivalent (though I have seen a Tiana/Naveen set)

Another interesting point of discussion that was raised was that girls toylines do not seem to inspire the same sort of imaginative play patterns that boys lines do. i.e. Barbies go to various social events day in and out while My Little Ponies get their hair brushed day after day. She-Ra Princess of Power toys from the 80's seem to be a great exception to this as I suppose that a girl back then could have played with them like Barbies but also imagine up adventures for them.

As we're all avid toy collectors with perhaps some or even many "girls oriented" items in our collections, I was curious about our thoughts?

• Queen Elsa

Know what you mean. Even though I don't collect them I have notes on the Wolvine and the X-Men figures there is not even one female figure in the line up also when the second X-Men Movie came out there was no females in it and I wanted to get the females speally Rogue if they made her in the X-Men 2 figures. Glad that in the DCUC we get females in that line. I just wish they will make it with both male and female figures. I also have notes this with the Tinkerbell figures when Jakks took over they didn't add Terence to the line up and I'm sure there is girls that would want to add Terence to there Tink Colletion.

• we jumped out a window

Wolverine and the X-Men figures might not be the best example as I'm not even sure Hasbro will continue the line. But you are right, there were so many females on the show and yet not a single figure. The same goes for Brave and the Bold on Cartoon Network.

I didn't know about the lack of a Terence but why not just short pack him 1 per case like how a lot of boys action figure lines do?

• Queen Elsa

I forgot about Batman Brave and the Bold you are right with that to. On the show they have had Fire,Black Carnary,Huntres, Don't know if you will count Wonder Woman send she was just in one shot when they where telling the story about Robin,Aqualad & Speedy. But yeah I see with that. And I agree with the Terence idea. But then again the seconf movie to Tinkerbell was forcus on Tink and Terence more then the others so they should done more with him.

• we jumped out a window

I think Mattel said that they'd put some females in the Brave and the Bold pvc 2 packs but not in the 4 inch or whatever size figures those are. Which is good I guess because those huge shoulder joints are really ugly.

• we jumped out a window

Some random thoughts:

- The stress marks on the hands of my Transformers Animated Arcee are getting much worse. This seems to be the case for everyone that owns this figure too.

- TRU's exclusives have been easy to find historically but not this year. See aforementioned Arcee. I have a feeling that it will be extremely tough to find the Star Wars exclusive EU wave all in one shot. Collectors will probably have to piecemeal this wave over several weeks of searching.

- Prince of Persia Lego sets are already up for sale on Lego's online store.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    For us action figure collectors, we are all familiar with Hasbro's and Mattel's and any number of other companies' rhetoric that boys simply do not want to buy figures of female characters. However, my friend on the other board also pointed out that the reverse situation seems to hold true for toylines geared towards girls. I've not really looked into this but they're claiming that for most Disney Princess dolls, you can't buy the prince equivalent (though I have seen a Tiana/Naveen set)

Another interesting point of discussion that was raised was that girls toylines do not seem to inspire the same sort of imaginative play patterns that boys lines do. i.e. Barbies go to various social events day in and out while My Little Ponies get their hair brushed day after day. She-Ra Princess of Power toys from the 80's seem to be a great exception to this as I suppose that a girl back then could have played with them like Barbies but also imagine up adventures for them.

As we're all avid toy collectors with perhaps some or even many "girls oriented" items in our collections, I was curious about our thoughts?
    That Prince part is true... take it from someone who goes to the princess (fairy!) section of toys r us and target every time we go There is a Snow/prince (TRU exclusive - on "clearance") and the Tiana/Naveen sets but once those are sold out, it will just be princesses. it's a shame. Of course they aren't in the park anymore either lol Of course, Barbie was an independent woman who could do it all without a man Ken was never necessary to her story. However, even my little ponies and strawberry shortcake went on adventures. Probably not as violent But there is more to dolls than brushing their hair.

But - don't count out girls playing with boys toys. i played with my brothers Star Was and Gi Joe "figures" and enjoyed it. (sometimes my brother was the only person around to play with!) I did prefer dolls and ponies and barbies, etc., but also legos and bristle blocks and Lincoln logs and matchbox cars on tracks (I had my own track!!) It is true though - I would NEVER have actually ASKED for any action figure toys for Christmas or anything.

As for She-Ra, all I remember is that my friends brother had the huge castle greyskull playset but I don't recall if he had She-ra or just He man. But we did play with that a few times.

Interesting topic. Thanks for the memories
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

New Wave of Disney/Star Wars figures announced. These will arrive this year:

New Disney Theme Parks – Star Wars Toys EndorExpress

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Queen Elsa

My work still hasn't recive any of the Arcee's or Ratchet's for Animated. We are just starting to get in the N.E.S.T series the only one we have so far is Soundwave/Bumblebee.

• King of Los Angeles

Those look cool. I would have traded yet another jedi Mickey for the Daisy Aura Singh like the pin, but I'm glad we're getting the Boba Fett Pete.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    New Wave of Disney/Star Wars figures announced. These will arrive this year:

New Disney Theme Parks Star Wars Toys EndorExpress
    Pete as Boba Fett? Yep, I am getting him.

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    That Prince part is true... take it from someone who goes to the princess (fairy!) section of toys r us and target every time we go There is a Snow/prince (TRU exclusive - on "clearance") and the Tiana/Naveen sets but once those are sold out, it will just be princesses. it's a shame. Of course they aren't in the park anymore either lol Of course, Barbie was an independent woman who could do it all without a man Ken was never necessary to her story. However, even my little ponies and strawberry shortcake went on adventures. Probably not as violent But there is more to dolls than brushing their hair.

But - don't count out girls playing with boys toys. i played with my brothers Star Was and Gi Joe "figures" and enjoyed it. (sometimes my brother was the only person around to play with!) I did prefer dolls and ponies and barbies, etc., but also legos and bristle blocks and Lincoln logs and matchbox cars on tracks (I had my own track!!) It is true though - I would NEVER have actually ASKED for any action figure toys for Christmas or anything.

As for She-Ra, all I remember is that my friends brother had the huge castle greyskull playset but I don't recall if he had She-ra or just He man. But we did play with that a few times.

Interesting topic. Thanks for the memories
    NNL, thank you for your input and insight! Unfortunately, the thread on that site got derailed and could end up litter boxed but we had a great discussion going on.

As a little experiment, on my trips to the toy aisles over the next month, I'll take notes on what sort of toy collection I could build for my imaginary niece.

• we jumped out a window

As a little experiment, on my trips to the toy aisles over the next month, I'll take notes on what sort of toy collection I could build for my imaginary niece.
    At Walmart today, I saw an island display of these Barbie "mermaid's tale" dvd toys. They had plenty of this blond surfer male and these were only $5.44!!!! I know Barbie is a Mattel creation and so there aren't licenses to be paid but for a figure, err doll that is around 8 inches tall, that is a steal at $5.44.

I saw a Barbie, some other female and surfer dude on the pegs so for just $17.91, I could've bought the three for my imaginary niece.

Currently, I'm looking on ShopMattel.com, specifically the Disney princess section. I didn't realize they made a doll for Charlotte from PatF. However, I see that doll designers can be just as off model with character designs as action figure designers. I also see that Mattel has a line of princess plastic figures that come with a horse in similar colors as the princess. Non movie canon toys, mind you, so that's another trend that's not just confined to the action figure world.
    Last edited by brand42; 03-27-2010 at 10:14 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

At Walmart today, I saw an island display of these Barbie "mermaid's tale" dvd toys. They had plenty of this blond surfer male and these were only $5.44!!!! I know Barbie is a Mattel creation and so there aren't licenses to be paid but for a figure, err doll that is around 8 inches tall, that is a steal at $5.44.

I saw a Barbie, some other female and surfer dude on the pegs so for just $17.91, I could've bought the three for my imaginary niece.

Currently, I'm looking on ShopMattel.com, specifically the Disney princess section. I didn't realize they made a doll for Charlotte from PatF. However, I see that doll designers can be just as off model with character designs as action figure designers. I also see that Mattel has a line of princess plastic figures that come with a horse in similar colors as the princess. Non movie canon toys, mind you, so that's another trend that's not just confined to the action figure world.
    Barbie is pretty good with the male dolls! But they don't make a girl aDisney lover

I didn't know there was a Charlotte doll! Now I want her! *pout* It's really cute, I like her face. I wonder if you can get them in stores? I never go down the Barbie aisle lol
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• we jumped out a window

More adventures down the girls toy aisles today...

I found a Terence figure. He comes as a pack in with a Tinkerbell playset.