Page 54 of 96 FirstFirst ... 42944515253545556576479 ... LastLast

Re: Toy Collecting Chit-Chat thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    That Prince part is true... take it from someone who goes to the princess (fairy!) section of toys r us and target every time we go There is a Snow/prince (TRU exclusive - on "clearance") and the Tiana/Naveen sets but once those are sold out, it will just be princesses. it's a shame. Of course they aren't in the park anymore either lol Of course, Barbie was an independent woman who could do it all without a man Ken was never necessary to her story. However, even my little ponies and strawberry shortcake went on adventures. Probably not as violent But there is more to dolls than brushing their hair.

But - don't count out girls playing with boys toys. i played with my brothers Star Was and Gi Joe "figures" and enjoyed it. (sometimes my brother was the only person around to play with!) I did prefer dolls and ponies and barbies, etc., but also legos and bristle blocks and Lincoln logs and matchbox cars on tracks (I had my own track!!) It is true though - I would NEVER have actually ASKED for any action figure toys for Christmas or anything.

As for She-Ra, all I remember is that my friends brother had the huge castle greyskull playset but I don't recall if he had She-ra or just He man. But we did play with that a few times.

Interesting topic. Thanks for the memories
    NNL, sounds like we a similar childhood! My best friend was a boy when I was younger and he had any and all Star Wars figures ever released. Needless to say, if I wanted to play with him, we needed to play with his Star Wars figures, not with my Barbies I did happen to own the She-Ra action figures along with the Crystal Castle (it hurts my heart a bit to know that the entire lot was sold in a garage sale for probably a ridiculously low amount of money). I did beg my mom for He-Man but if I remember right, He-Man was so unproportionally large next to She-Ra and he didn't fit in the Crystal Castle so he usually wasn't included in the adventures.

However, I believe what brand42 stated, in that girls lines of toys tend not to include male figures. Even as a kid, I remember the aisles of Barbies with only 1 or 2 Ken dolls (I happened to own Rocker Ken - complete with lime green shirt and MC Hammer pants). IIRC, the only male action figure in the She-Ra line was Bow. Male Cabbage Patch Kids were scoffed at. Rainbow Bright only had one or two male friends. Even my sister's Legos were pink. I believe (and could be way off base) that boys are more likely to purchase female action figures than vise versa. My best friend couldn't have imagined his Star Wars collection complete without all variations of Princess Leia, however, my sister and her friends would not have owned male versions of anything.

• we jumped out a window

Thank you for your input as well, JediMelmac!

When I was a kid, my priorities with Star Wars figures were aliens and droids and then maybe troopers and human core characters at a distant fourth.

If I were a kid right now and assuming I have those some SW priorities, I'd definitely buy Clone Wars Ahsoka, Aayla, Luminara and probably even Ventress. My line of reasoning probably would be "Aliens with lightsabers!!! What could be cooler than that and never mind that they are girls!"

When we were young, my parents always went by the "buy a toy for one child means buying for all their children" rule and I remember my sister buying some male character action figures sometimes like Bespin Luke, Han. Most likely, this was because she had many versions of Leia and needed those characters to go along with her.

• Queen Elsa

Well I remember other then that is weird. I remember the reagula [ms] Strawberry Shortcake there was a boy in there name Blueberry muffen. This was like back in the 1980's and now in the 2010 or well 2009 they bring that line back but they change Blueberry muffen. He is now a she. So go figure on that.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JediMelmac View Post
    However, I believe what brand42 stated, in that girls lines of toys tend not to include male figures. Even as a kid, I remember the aisles of Barbies with only 1 or 2 Ken dolls (I happened to own Rocker Ken - complete with lime green shirt and MC Hammer pants). IIRC, the only male action figure in the She-Ra line was Bow. Male Cabbage Patch Kids were scoffed at. Rainbow Bright only had one or two male friends. Even my sister's Legos were pink. I believe (and could be way off base) that boys are more likely to purchase female action figures than vise versa. My best friend couldn't have imagined his Star Wars collection complete without all variations of Princess Leia, however, my sister and her friends would not have owned male versions of anything.
    It is interesting how there are only one or two male toys in each female toy line. I don't know if I would have "refused" a male doll, but I definatly was mostly about the girl toys. I never had a Ken. But I do think owning vs. playing with was different. IDK why or remembering thinking like that

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    When we were young, my parents always went by the "buy a toy for one child means buying for all their children" rule and I remember my sister buying some male character action figures sometimes like Bespin Luke, Han. Most likely, this was because she had many versions of Leia and needed those characters to go along with her.
    I like that rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook's View Post
    Well I remember other then that is weird. I remember the reagula [ms] Strawberry Shortcake there was a boy in there name Blueberry muffen. This was like back in the 1980's and now in the 2010 or well 2009 they bring that line back but they change Blueberry muffen. He is now a she. So go figure on that.
    She's always been a girl. Huckleberry Finn is the boy. (Or was? IDK if he's still around)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• we jumped out a window

Prince of Persia Lego sets are already out at TRU. I think I may buy the Ostrich race one at least as I can shoehorn it in with my Indy Lego sets.

Now going back to NNL's point about owning vs. playing with. My sister would buy a lot of female action figures like Scarlett (from GI Joe) or Teela from Masters of the Universe and I definitely made them a part of the adventures with my toys.

I don't think I intentionally didn't want to buy female figures but it was probably more a result of having few toy purchasing opportunities. That meant that I had to pick characters that I really, really wanted so as great a character as Scarlett is, I couldn't pick her over Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow.

On a sidenote, it also seems as if most of us during our childhood mixed all of our toys together like Andy from Toy Story.

• Infinitized!

It would be neat if they actually released these for the upcoming movie:
    http://www.beyondhollywood.com/still...team-legos.jpg

• Queen Elsa

I remember I always team up my Transformers with my G.I. Joes and samething with my DC Superpowers with my X-Men figures.

• we jumped out a window

There were some interesting toy rumors and reveals today but it being April Fool's, I'm not buying any of it.

• Queen Elsa

yeah i was on a Transformers site today and they where saying that there is a Blurr coming out but not sure if it's a April fools joke or not. So until it is ture I will not believe it.

• we jumped out a window

I read that too, Capt. Hook's. Was that Blurr a repaint of the upcoming Drift character?

One funny gag I read was about a Hot Wheels Invisible Jet (Wonder Woman's). It shows a Hot Wheels cardback and a picture of Wonder Woman and nothing in the bubble.

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    I read that too, Capt. Hook's. Was that Blurr a repaint of the upcoming Drift character?

Yes it was for the up coming Drift. I saw a Drawing of what is sopost to be Blurr if that is real I like it but the head just don't look right to me. The head look to pointing to me and I know Blurr's head was never that pointing. I look like a mix of Sideswipe and Blurr put together in the head.

• we jumped out a window

My check for the Clone Wars Nahdar Vebb mail away figure got cashed so hopefully I will get my figure in the first batch of mailings that will go out.

• we jumped out a window

According to Hasbro, Transformers Animated Rodimus and Ironhide, TRU exclusives just like Arcee and Cybertron Ratchet, will not be released until the fall.

• Queen Elsa

I also have hear that Hasbro will not be doing anymore of the RobotHeros. So there will not be anymore of G1 Sideswipe,Swoop,Scrapper,Wreck-gar,Cyclonus or anyone else. This makes me sad to hear this. I really did like collcetion them.

Well I have entered the contest. I have started with a dinky Mini Clubman and turned it into a Canadian RCMP Patrol Car. I made the decals my self and eliminated the roof top sign and replaced it with a light from a dollar store car that cost $.99 I have other pictures of the finished car I will post here later.
    Hope you all enjoy and lets get this contest off and running!!!
    By the way, if you change your mind about what you entered, just edit your original entry post to reflect your new model. Maybe mention it here that you changed.