Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Re: Questions about the Main Street Set

I may follow your lead and see how it goes displayed in the open without a cover. I am sure it is a lot more enjoyable when you are able to get in there and actually handle/touch the pieces.

I know most people are happy with Fantasyland, but I would really love to see New Orleans Square or Frontierland get a completed base. Tomorrowland has the least appeal for me.

I do agree Frontierland and NOS should be before tomorrowland, and fantasyland. However, Frontierland and NOS are very complicated, with lots of small pathways and trees, etc. I think maybe they may be trying to figure out a plan and Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are just lands they are doing that are easier to plan while they plan the left side of the park. I am, however, excited about the matterhorn, and the carousel theater... I do hope we get the interchangeable innoventions/America Sings/Carousel of progress scenes!!

Totally agree with you on the interchangeable Innoventions/America Sings/Carousel of Progress scenes! The Carousel of Progress remains one of my all time favorite attractions from the park. I remember the rest of my family not thinking too much about it, enjoying it more for the air conditioned comfort and rest it provided for a few minutes. As for me, I was thoroughly amazed by the set designs, backdrops, and audio-animatronic figures. Olszewski would need to do all of the time periods (or at least I can hope)!

Well, Bob is doing something rather clever: he's slowly backing into doing Tomorrowland through the classic pieces releases (What do the Rocket to the Moon ship, the Mark I Monorail, House of the Future, PeopleMover and the Skyway all have in common?) in addition to doing Fantasyland which is a given seller. Keep in mind, the line has to be geared toward sales as much as desires and Fantasyland reflects that. After Main Street after all, it's the most iconic.

Fantasyland is nearing completion and with the Matterhorn being considered a Tomorrowland piece (the monorail track going around the mountain is the explanation), Tomorrowland is in all probablity next. NOS is an easy bet for a potential release though since it's virtually done. Only the Train Station, French Market and Blue Bayou/Club 33 pieces are really missing after all.

Oh and as for leaving the Main Street exposed, I do have a cheat actually: a large rotating ceiling fan above the platform helps keep dust away, plus it's in my guest bedroom and the door is seldom open. Helps keep dust down.

If there is going to be a Tomorrowland platform, then the classic attractions is the way to go. I always preferred the 50's version of the future with that "retro" feel and design. The Tomorrowland of today leaves my cold for some reason. I spend the least amount of time in that land.

For sure Fantasyland would be the next best seller after Main Street. I realize too there maybe limited interest in the French Market or areas of Frontierland (although the Golden Horseshoe Review would be awesome).

Good idea about the ceiling fan. I imagine that room is pretty special. Do you have other Disney pieces or collectibles sitting in there?

Unfortunately, no. Space is too limited right now and we're going to have to be reconfiguring some things when Fantasyland arrives. Actually, my curio cabinet with the non-Main Street pieces is in the living room right now. Honestly, we need more floor space, but just can't think of a good way to do it since we can't move right now thanks to my schooling and low funds.

Tomorrowland is almost certainly next. Bob's plans for Matterhorn and hopeful ideas for the Skyway have all but confirmed it. But in all honesty, to get the best sense of what Bob is thinking, go to the next signing event and ask him. I expect *crossing fingers here* we should get the Alice/Toad release in February.

I'd imagine the skyway will be very cool...but very small. Seeing how he did make the house of the future, etc. He seems to realize that collectors of his pieces are usually big fans, and he seems to understand how many people like some of the older disneyland attractions, etc... I'd want my Disneyland model to be timeless... representing present, past, and future, not just the current version. The people mover and Subs should be great too!!

Not sure if the Skyway will be "small." We know Bob has plans for the Fantasyland station to be of decent size, pending approval. Looks to be about the same size as Dumbo or so. Add in Matterhorn and the Tomorrowland station and could be impressive. One also assumes pylons will be made available to span the track of the ride.

By the way, sorry for the layoff in replies, my fiance and I lost our pet cat Friday morning and I really didn't feel up to chatting much this weekend.

Sorry to hear about you and your fiance losing a loved one. I have a dog so I know it can be very difficult. My prayers go out to the both of you and your departed pet.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, I know how hard that can be.
    Wow I didn't even think about the pylons! Just thinking about how much great stuff there is in disneyland that would look amazing in miniature... Big thunder, Splash mountain, Maybe even a small set up for Fantasmic! ? Endless Possibilities! I think it's be great if there was a small wire, something like fishing line but thinner that could be connected to the castle to have Tink flyinng in the air? I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Thanks for the support, guys. Very much appreciated.

Sure, the pylons make sense just like the monorail track in front of Main Street. You'll need the towers to connect Fantasyland Station with the Matterhorn in Tomorrowland and then on to the station in Tomorrowland.

Splash was talked about with Matterhorn way back in the 50th Anniversary days. The problem is, from what I understand, is Critter Country is not a big draw. Aside from Splash, only Pooh, Pooh Corner and the Hungry Bear make up the land and in all honesty, none of those are going to be especially strong aside from Splash. Given that, while Bob wants to do the whole park, Disney wants to make money off the venture. So Critter Country is going to be a headache for a while and, unless there is a big demand for Splash, it's going to be one of the last, if not the last, lands they tackle.

I don't know if it's just me, but I would love a Hungry Bear Restaurant piece. Not much of a Pooh fan, but would be totally happy if Bob announced a Country Bear Jamboree.

Yeah, the problem is Disney usually wants current representation of the parks, so that rules the CBJ out. Hungry Bear would be good, but not sure how good the sales would be. I remember when the Main Street pieces first came out that, while the Castle, Central Plaza and the Train Station were always strong sellers, it was very tough to sell the rest unless someone was doing everything all at once or picking up pieces along the way. Disney is going to remember the initial weak sales, hence a reluctance to do stores again.

Funny story, on the other hand, I remember when the Jungle Cruise debuted and discussion of completing Adventureland came up and Travis remarked that the problem was that, while attractions would do very well, there was concern over who would buy the shops across from the Jungle Cruise.

About half of the group listening to him shot their hands up in the air.

Well, that's in the future. More immediate is in about the next month or so when the Monorail pylon track extension for the Main Street Platform and the display boxes for Peter Pan will go on sale. Should be just before Christmas, so stay tuned for that.

It's true that stores would have limited appeal to the average fan, but for me, its a part of the charm of Disneyland that can be found no where else. I love going into the stores (when not too crowded like at the beginning of the park opening) especially the ones on Main Street with their turn of the century design. I'm not much of a kitchenware person, but I even enjoy taking a stroll through that area because of the old fashioned and warm feel.

I will be picking up the pylon track extensions when ready, but I am one of the few that was "underwhelmed" by the Monorail. I think its because I have a bias towards die cast metal as a material when it comes to vehicles. I felt the same way about a 60's television version of the Batmobile offered by DC Comics and made of cold cast porcelain. It was nicely sculpted, but I opted for the Hot Wheels version which was die cast metal.

Oh I totally agree toward the sentiments for the shops, especially along Main Street. Sad not everyone shares the point of view.

As to the Monorail, I dunno, I know I was very impressed when I finally saw it. Much bigger than I originally thought and the detail put in, especially in the cones and in the pilot's dome were such nice touches.

It's all good though. We're all going to have different perceptions of the collection.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast