Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Re: Questions about the Main Street Set

If there is enough detail put into the stores (Which i'm sure you would be), I'd buy them in a heartbeat. I'd love to have some of the mary blair murals in tomorrowland... But then again i'm just dreaming again We'll have to wait and see for future plans!

Well, that's the interesting thing about Tomorrowland. All that's done so far is Astro-Orbiter, Moonliner and Mark I Monorail, with House of the Future and possibly the PeopleMover and the Skyway next. Last I heard, there was also a desire to do a Clock of the World piece and Disney had asked about Autopia. So, actually, not outside the realm of possibility you COULD get the Blair murals as, so far, no current Tomorrowland attractions are being talked about, aside from the Matterhorn.

Disney and Bob are being fairly smart about this. There's very little in the current Tomorrowland that is going to draw a collector, especially given the pieces could be a bit expensive. Going at it from a "retro" point of view opens up the possibility for more sales, ergo more demand.

We'll just see. Just a very interesting approach.

^^Very true! I know I would not be crazy about a honey I shrunk the audience or Innoventions piece... and besides, today most of tomorrowland is dull-ish buildings. I know not many people would buy an empty skyway track! I just hope they feel the need to balance out that retro-tomorrowland by adding some other retro attractions around the park.

There's been talk of doing a Chicken of the Sea piece with Dumbo being able to be moved out to another section of the platform, setting up somewhat how Fantasyland looked from the late 1950s through to 1981. Only thing not able to be moved to set things are the Tea Cups and that's only because they were done long before Fantasyland was imagined.

I'd love a christmas overlay for main street... I'd also like to have the chicken on the sea pirate ship, minus the smell of course. I adds a lot more to Fantasyland. However, the way dumbo is set up, it is the newest version. If it were to be moved, would it not have to change scenery and everything back to the "old" dumbo?

Quote Originally Posted by Epcot2000 View Post
    I'd love a christmas overlay for main street... I'd also like to have the chicken on the sea pirate ship, minus the smell of course. I adds a lot more to Fantasyland. However, the way dumbo is set up, it is the newest version. If it were to be moved, would it not have to change scenery and everything back to the "old" dumbo?
    From what I understand, the spinning part of Dumbo is removable from the rest of the piece, allowing it to be moved to the area marked Plaza on the Fantasyland blueprints.

Yes, yes, YES, a thousand times yes for Christmas decorations for Main Street. That's been talked about for a while, as have additional accessory packs which appear to finally be in the offing. Also, I'd love the Christmas Fantasy parade, but that probably won't come until the MSEP is finished in three years.

Incidentally, Bob has also been asked about doing a holiday accessory pack to turn Haunted Mansion into Haunted Mansion Holiday and, from what I understand, Disney has expressed an interest in this as well.

See? That's the fun part about the collection. Even after you have all the pieces, with accessory packs, the lay out can continually be changed in time with the park. It's adaptable to be whatever you want.

Im hoping for one or two new pieces this christmas.... I'm aiming for the town square section of main street right now... then hopefully i'll work on the middle, and the hub will be my last part, expanding onto fantasyland. I can't wait to get the City hall piece... Walt's apartment always seems like a really special place in the park.

Just got my notice from Travis about the platform. It's costing me $350.00 to ship it to Hawaii...ugh! My last piece for Main Street is the Crystal Arcade which is due in December. I was hoping to put it together for the Christmas holidays, but it looks like that will be reserved for next year (which is probably how long it will take for me to set it up...LOL!).
    Last edited by forestlite; 11-10-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Eeep! Thats a lot for shipping, but I guess you can't do much about it... Im really interested in that Plaza Pavilion/Tiki Room piece, it looks really cool! Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the tiki room? Such a great attraction!

I can post a link to my Photo Bucket account if anyone wants to see what photos I have of the pieces.

As for the Platform, part of the reason for the high shipping costs is the sucker is HEAVY. Trust me, having to get the thing around the house and manage it for setting up all the pieces was the biggest challenge, more than finding all the pieces.

As for getting everything put together, assuming you have everything, all the pieces, the lighting rig and all three Tree Accessory packs, it might take as short as a couple of hours to at least a day to fit everything together. Here are my own advice tips based on experience:

1. It's a two person job. You're going to need some help as you remove the screws and footers from the bases and have someone hold on to the piece as it comes free.

2. Make sure you have the directions printed out from the Olszewski website. They will help a lot. Just be aware that a.) the directions for wiring the Disneyland Sign for power are incorrect. I think the correct version can be found on the Yahoo! group or I can run them down for you and b.) the resin street piece isn't going to drop smoothly back into place once the pieces are in place since the trees on the pieces overhang the street. Leave the pieces up on an angle on the railroad tracks when putting the street down and then just slide them into place.

3.) Above all, patience. There is no hurry to finish this, so take your time. Trust me, it will be well worth it when it's all done and you turn the lights on for the first time.

Thank you for all the helpful hints and info. I may take you up on the correct instructions for wiring the Disneyland Sign. I do keep a lot of the emails you from the Yahoo group, but am not sure I have that one.

I definitely plan on taking my time and probably won't even start until after the holiday season is over (although it would have been great to light the platform up for Christmas). As I begin to install the lighting kit, do you know if I can check and turn on each piece as I wire them or does all the pieces have to be installed first?

Please do post your photobucket, Id really enjoy seeing pictures!

Thanks for the help, It gets me excited to think about how im going to do it, and it makes me a little bit more sure of myself, hopefully i'll be an "expert" on the platform by the time i'm ready to set it up!

You can wire up the pieces and test them as you go. Does no damage to the electrics. In fact, I did that with each piece as I went to verify I'd done all the connections right. Connecting them is pretty easy, but want to be sure.

Here's the photobucket link, although I haven't posed anything recently. Really need to get full photos of the set up done.

Olszewski pictures by MattPeriolat - Photobucket
    Olszewski Platform pictures by MattPeriolat - Photobucket

I'll try and dredge up the notes on wiring the Sign, but logically, it should be the last thing you'll need to set up anyway. Best way to work is start from the Castle and work your way forward. Go forward knowing the fit is not going to be precise and that, when the street is put back in place, not only will you have to dodge the trees on the sides of the street, but the street will have to go OVER Central Plaza and Town Square. It's not too risky, but make sure no pluses (flags, popcorn carts, heck, I even kept the roof off Walt's Apartment and the SB diorama) until you are done with everything.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go put the Christmas tree up at Town Square.

Hello All,

My wife and I have made the plunge into the world of Olszewski Main Street Miniatures. We started with the MSEP #1 piece, which we purchased at Disneyland. Then, after seeing how nicely the whole Main Street collection fits on the platform (on Bruce Richards fan site), we decided that we would have room enough to start the collection. (Enough money is another matter!) We have ordered a platform from the recent batch sold by Olszewski. As Tahnee suggested to someone else, we will get the Fantasyland pieces as they are released while working on acquiring the older Main Street pieces. We're very excited.

By the way, this is my first post since April of 07.

Tiki God
    "Quit talking while I am interrupting..."

Visit my bluegrass band's web site at: www.monroecrossing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki God View Post
    Hello All,

My wife and I have made the plunge into the world of Olszewski Main Street Miniatures. We started with the MSEP #1 piece, which we purchased at Disneyland. Then, after seeing how nicely the whole Main Street collection fits on the platform (on Bruce Richards fan site), we decided that we would have room enough to start the collection. (Enough money is another matter!) We have ordered a platform from the recent batch sold by Olszewski. As Tahnee suggested to someone else, we will get the Fantasyland pieces as they are released while working on acquiring the older Main Street pieces. We're very excited.

By the way, this is my first post since April of 07.

Tiki God
    "This is your captain speaking. Welcome aboard."

OK, bit of ego aside there, greetings and welcome to the hobby! You picked a pretty good time to come aboard as Fantasyland is nearing completion and it would seem that a lot of the Main Street Olszewski pieces are available to fill the holes in your collection.

Be sure you keep enough space around the platform to work with everything. Remember, you're starting with a platform that is six feet by 2 1/2 feet, but once Fantasyland comes in, you'll be adding another three feet of platform to the set up.

Also, couldn't help but notice you being from the Twin Cities area! Fiance is from Eden Prairie, so know the area pretty well.

Enjoy the hobby! Oh and one other piece of platform advice I have forgotten: highly recommend working in short sleeves or a tee around the miniatures. Found it a bit easy for a long sleeve to snag something you don't mean to and stuff like flags and castle tops are very fragile.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast